Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/11/2024 9:45:25 PM EDT

Restaurants struggling to survive amid 'food-flation' | NewsNation Now
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Know someone who leases out restaurant property. Says 3 - 5 are likely going to close or be forced to sell, going broke. Don't know if that's normal business or out of the ordinary.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been assured by the trustworthy media that it is all because everyone is taking Ozempic.  Has nothing to do with a shit economy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:30:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Saving that and posting it elsewhere too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
We've completely stopped eating out, it's just not worth the price of the plate + tax/tip.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought 50% of restaurants failed on a normal basis?

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:39:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:40:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Just like your grocery bill, restaurant grocery bills are getting any smaller. Price of doing business get higher almost weekly.

Yes you can raise prices, but at some point you go too high and people stop visiting. Very fine balance. But if you  do raise prices many think you’re just being greedy.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
We eat out a good deal (this wasn’t the case for a few years following covid because of the shit service) and most aren’t as busy as they used to be.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:45:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:48:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slow3v] [#11]
Originally Posted By Rat_Patrol:

Yup. $40 to take the family to even McD's and be menu frugal anymore.
View Quote

How much food are you eating? I got myself and two kids (3) happy meals or equiv. from BK today for $14 with tax. It's lunch not a smorgasbord. Can easily add the wife in and keep it under $20 by sticking to kids meals for kids, grabbing water instead of soft drinks and sticking to the value menu for us. We've done it in a pinch. All of the food is of equivalent quality, so spending more doesn't really net a better experience. Fast food is in and of itself there for convenience and to cure hunger on the go, and nothing more, really.

Subway can feed (4) for under $30 especially with coupons. Pizza shop can easily feed 4 for under $30, and so on.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mech2007:

View Quote
Inconvenient truth
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Brocato's, one of the top places in Tampa for Cuban sandwiches, a shop that has been opened for 76 years, has had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

link behind paywall.

Popular Tampa lunch counter Brocato’s Sandwich Shop filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week to reorganize its debts after falling behind on payments to the Florida Department of Revenue and several vendors.

Brocato’s, located at 5021 E Columbus Drive, owes approximately $1.4 million to its creditors, including $700,000 to the Department of Revenue, according to documents filed in the Middle District of Florida bankruptcy court.

The shop’s primary goals in the reorganization are to prevent the agency from revoking its sales tax permit and stop creditors from freezing its bank accounts, according to the filing.

An attorney for Brocato’s did not immediately return a request for comment.

The multigenerational, family-owned shop has been a staple in Tampa’s food scene since it opened in 1948. Brocato’s Cuban sandwich has been ranked by numerous sources as among the best in Tampa Bay, while its devil crabs are a cult classic.

As of the date of the filing, Brocato’s had 13 employees and $741,000 in gross sales year-to-date. The shop suffered a substantial drop in revenue during the pandemic, like other restaurants, and while it survived that challenging period, it fell behind on its debts, according to the filing.

The shop reported $1.75 million in gross revenue in 2022 and just over $2 million in 2023. It had roughly $4,600 in cash on hand and in bank accounts at the time of the filing.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 1:59:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Fuck yeah, let's get the party started, at least 90 days before the election please
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:06:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup.  Too expensive to eat out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:10:01 AM EDT
[#16]
I don’t enjoy eating out anymore.  The price is too high and the quality is too low.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:19:31 AM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

Clientele are fickle.  Always looking for something newer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:55:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VaniB] [#18]
Originally Posted By slow3v:

How much food are you eating? I got myself and two kids (3) happy meals or equiv. from BK today for $14 with tax. It's lunch not a smorgasbord. Can easily add the wife in and keep it under $20 by sticking to kids meals for kids, grabbing water instead of soft drinks and sticking to the value menu for us. We've done it in a pinch. All of the food is of equivalent quality, so spending more doesn't really net a better experience. Fast food is in and of itself there for convenience and to cure hunger on the go, and nothing more, really.

Subway can feed (4) for under $30 especially with coupons. Pizza shop can easily feed 4 for under $30, and so on.
View Quote

It gets old with you guys who hide your location but insist on sharing your neighborhhod experiences. As if there's no difference between living and eating out in Homerville GA or some place on the strip in Los Angeles CA? But thanks so much for sharing that with us.

BTW,
In my town they had closed gunshows because dealers refused to abide by the requirement to remove all the firing pins from out of every gun for sale. True story! Want to know what town that is? Fuck you. Figure it out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:11:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Personally for me, IF I got out to eat, I skip the drink, it cost the restaurant 10-15¢ to serve, and the rest is profit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:21:41 AM EDT
[#20]
That video blames food prices and never mentions wages.  It's California so aren't the forced to pay liked $20/hr.  What's the wage for the waiter who is tipped?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:28:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I generally prefer prime strips at home over pizza 🤷🏿‍♂️
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:03:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quality and service have gone to shit and prices skyrocketed. And, the news media acts like shocking!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:34:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:35:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: c7aea15] [#24]
The last two or three times my wife and I have gone out to eat it's because we've had gift cards.

It's not something that I really did regularly anyways. But now that it's typically $60-$100+ for a basic meal, I just don't find that enjoyable.

Now if we do eat out it'll be for a special occasion and it can easily be $200+ with drinks.

It's kinda nuts.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:36:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By c7aea15:
The last two or three times my wife and I have gone out to eat it's because we've had gift cards.

It's not something that I really did regularly anyways. But now that's it's typically $60-$100+ for a basic meal, and I just don't find that enjoyable.

Now if we do eat out it'll be for a special occasion and it can easily be $200+ with drinks.

It's kinda nuts.

View Quote

Someone (might have been on here) said recently "the $100 bill is the new $20."

It's becoming very true, in terms of what inflation is doing.

Yay Brandon!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 5:39:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#26]
View Quote

Well, I have to tell you a restaurant is a very tricky investment, more than half of them go under in the first six months.
If I were your accountant, I’d have to strongly advise against it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:30:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Extorris:

Well, I have to tell you a restaurant is a very tricky investment, more than half of them go under in the first six months.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, you’re not my accountant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:34:18 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LostX:
Just like your grocery bill, restaurant grocery bills are getting any smaller. Price of doing business get higher almost weekly.

Yes you can raise prices, but at some point you go too high and people stop visiting. Very fine balance. But if you  do raise prices many think you’re just being greedy.
View Quote

We used to go out about once a week. Now it's once every few months.

Just costs too much now.

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Several very popular restaurants in my AO have closed.  If packed businesses can't make a profit, it's telling you something.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:46:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By runcible:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By runcible:

No, I’m just saying that it’s a very very tricky business and if I were your accountant, I would really have to strongly advise you against it, as uh, an
accountant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:53:05 AM EDT
[#31]
I gave up on restaurants a while ago.

Even started packing my own lunch for work.
Just groceries for 5 lunches is easily $50-$70 if you want a descent meal
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:03:15 AM EDT
[#32]
I had an amazing 20 oz. Ribeye at Texas Roadhouse yesterday for $32. Not sure if that’s a good or bad price.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:13:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Wife and I eat out most Saturdays.  We used to wait for a table at 645, now we are seated immediately.  Walk to the bathroom and 30% of the tables unoccupied.  High prices have kept the sheeple at home. Wonder how many voted for FJB.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#34]
At least there isn't any more mean tweets.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:16:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

We used to go out about once a week. Now it's once every few months.

Just costs too much now.

I'm sure a lot of people feel the same way.
View Quote

Same here.  Yes, prices have gone up.  What used to cost us maybe $30-35 is now $45-50 for 3 people.  We don't eat at the big chain restaurants normally.  But we also don't get sodas/booze and don't normally get desserts.  If anything I frequently take half the food home as the portions are too big and I don't want to stuff myself (being on a relatively low carb diet as well means I try to eat smaller portions of carb-filled foods).

I don't like the price increases, but I get it.  What chaps my ass though is the decline in service.  Local diner type place, service is okay, not great but okay.  Mexican place, the servers are different every time we go in, and they aren't very attentive, preferring to chat with their girlfriends, etc.  When the food does arrive, its usually luke-warm because the server was busy (either overworked because there aren't enough servers, or if there are its because they are chatting away and not doing their job).  But they expect a good tip.  As I don't want my food spit into the next time I come back, I leave a decent but not great tip.

As it stands, we do carry-out more often than not these days, saving the cost of the "tip" for sub-par service.

South-Central PA by the way, your experience may be different.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By VaniB:

It gets old with you guys who hide your location but insist on sharing your neighborhhod experiences. As if there's no difference between living and eating out in Homerville GA or some place on the strip in Los Angeles CA? But thanks so much for sharing that with us.

BTW,
In my town they had closed gunshows because dealers refused to abide by the requirement to remove all the firing pins from out of every gun for sale. True story! Want to know what town that is? Fuck you. Figure it out.
View Quote

I’m guessing a town that that offers a terrible education. Or maybe Austin?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:44:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By 6gunfighter2:

Someone (might have been on here) said recently "the $100 bill is the new $20."

It's becoming very true, in terms of what inflation is doing.

Yay Brandon!
View Quote

I’ve said the $50 is the new $20 for a little while now.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:49:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Klugman:
Wife and I eat out most Saturdays.  We used to wait for a table at 645, now we are seated immediately.  Walk to the bathroom and 30% of the tables unoccupied.  High prices have kept the sheeple at home. Wonder how many voted for FJB.
View Quote

I’d think the “sheeple” are the people who are incapable of changing their habits even temporarily. Not everyone is independently wealthy or a Biden voter.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:51:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Our local Italian spot has HUGE Strombolis for $10. We split one for lunch on occasion. Best deal we've seen in a while. otherwise we don't eat out at all unless we're traveling.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:56:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By cavedog:
Brocato's, one of the top places in Tampa for Cuban sandwiches, a shop that has been opened for 76 years, has had to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

link behind paywall.

Popular Tampa lunch counter Brocato’s Sandwich Shop filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy this week to reorganize its debts after falling behind on payments to the Florida Department of Revenue and several vendors.

Brocato’s, located at 5021 E Columbus Drive, owes approximately $1.4 million to its creditors, including $700,000 to the Department of Revenue, according to documents filed in the Middle District of Florida bankruptcy court.

The shop’s primary goals in the reorganization are to prevent the agency from revoking its sales tax permit and stop creditors from freezing its bank accounts, according to the filing.

An attorney for Brocato’s did not immediately return a request for comment.

The multigenerational, family-owned shop has been a staple in Tampa’s food scene since it opened in 1948. Brocato’s Cuban sandwich has been ranked by numerous sources as among the best in Tampa Bay, while its devil crabs are a cult classic.

As of the date of the filing, Brocato’s had 13 employees and $741,000 in gross sales year-to-date. The shop suffered a substantial drop in revenue during the pandemic, like other restaurants, and while it survived that challenging period, it fell behind on its debts, according to the filing.

The shop reported $1.75 million in gross revenue in 2022 and just over $2 million in 2023. It had roughly $4,600 in cash on hand and in bank accounts at the time of the filing.
View Quote

Half of what is owed is taxes.  Aren’t taxes paid by the customer and set aside?  Sounds like this business used the tax money to keep them afloat.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:58:18 AM EDT
[#41]
Be sure to tip 22% too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#42]

BTW,
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By slow3v:

BTW,

Retardedville, Texas.  Location is important like you said.  Ol’ Nancy Loo there was reporting from Southern California, and specifically mentioned organic food.  That’s probably not cheap to begin with.  Fucking queers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:01:14 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By APBullet:
That video blames food prices and never mentions wages.  It's California so aren't the forced to pay liked $20/hr.  What's the wage for the waiter who is tipped?
View Quote

Isn’t that just for fast food workers, as opposed to regular restaurant workers?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:07:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: flippflopped] [#44]
Last year, someone gave my wife and I a $50 card to Cracker Barrel. Never been a huge fan but always enjoyed their breakfast so I ordered two breakfast plates for carry out. It cost something like $48. I thought we would be able to eat breakfast twice for $50.

McDonalds…two quarter pounder meals and a kids meal was close to $40

Little Caesars $5 pizza is almost $8 now and it sucks still.

I stopped by Highway 55 after it opened and picked up two burgers, two fries, two shakes: almost $50. It was closed in less than 6 months.

I bet it would cost two people almost $100 to go out to a steak house, the food would be so so and the service would come with a hefty dose of entitlement.

No thanks, to all of it. We’ve never been big on eating out because I work on restaurant equip and see how nasty they can be.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#45]
If it wasn't for my wife I'd never go out to eat.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By flippflopped:
Last year, someone gave my wife and I a $50 card to Cracker Barrel. Never been a huge fan but always enjoyed their breakfast so I ordered two breakfast plates for carry out. It cost something like $48. I thought we would be able to eat breakfast twice for $50.

McDonalds…two quarter pounder meals and a kids meal was close to $40

Little Caesars $5 pizza is almost $8 now and it sucks still.

I stopped by Highway 55 after it opened and picked up two burgers, two fries, two shakes: almost $50. It was closed in less than 6 months.

I bet it would cost two people almost $100 to go out to a steak house, the food would be so so and the service would come with a hefty dose of entitlement.

No thanks, to all of it. We’ve never been big on eating out because I work on restaurant equip and see how nasty they can be.

View Quote

There's a local ice cream place in town that's always been open from May-October

The long time owners retired like 15 years ago and sold it to a guy that ran it well and did his best to keep pricing fair.

Then a lady with no business sense took over and wasn't ever open during normal peak hours. You have to keep that place open until 9pm during summer and fall sports, people flock to it after games and practices. As a result of low sales the prices got jacked. She got sick of it after a couple years and sold it and the young girl that owns it now fixed the hours and is doing her best to be active in the community, but I'm sure her input costs are extremely high compared to the past, so prices are quite high too.

I like to stop in the summer and grab a shake or something from time to time, or take the kids, but a 12oz milkshake is almost 6 bucks, it's crazy. I took my wife and got burgers and fries when we didn't have the kids last week and for just the two of us it was $25 with no drinks.

It's not that we can't afford it, but that I can't in good conscience spend that much money when I can make burgers and fries at home a fraction of that cost.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:20:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I took my wife out to lunch a few days ago. Simple meals, a soda, tea and one appetizer was about $70 after tip.

I’ve seen restaurants are now tacking on for more than one refill now. Having everyone in my family (6) get water to drink saves $20 off a bill.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:24:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:27:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rheinmetall792] [#49]
Originally Posted By CDW4ME:
If it wasn't for my wife I'd never go out to eat.
View Quote

In college, I learned how to cook by necessity and became better and better at it over time, to the point I am rarely impressed by restaurants these days. I sure hope I can cook better than a college age person heating up frozen food at a restaurant today. 👨‍🍳

So I am not inclined to pay 3X what it would cost me to make a better meal at home. Only motivator to eat out at this point is for date night/social events/atmosphere.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:28:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pale_pony] [#50]
Originally Posted By N1Rampage:
We've completely stopped eating out, it's just not worth the price of the plate + tax/tip.
View Quote

+ tip, +tip, + tip

the $5 tip for a glass of colored water

the tip for the waiter

the tip the waiter has to share with the busboy

the tip the waiter has to share with the kitchen help

"I'll just have water WITH LEMON, YOU FORGOT THE LEMONS" (code = please, I just love the taste of waiter spit in my food")

"If you can't afford to tip at least 25%, you can't afford to eat out"

ok...I won't eat out...I'll just take that to-go
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top