User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Weak sauce workout.

Go find a farmer that needs some help and just toss hay bales around while chugging a cup of bacon drippings.

You'll be a fucking Swolasaurus Rex within 3 months.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
While we got all the gym bros in here.  Anyone got tips for shoulders with slight tears in rotator cuffs?  I have always done cardio and started doing resistance bands and body weight workouts every other day.   Really hard to do anything that lifts my arms above my head due to rotator cuffs.      Would like to build some strength around them.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:03:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No peeps, no chug.

Worthless.
View Quote

Harsh but fair.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
While we got all the gym bros in here.  Anyone got tips for shoulders with slight tears in rotator cuffs?  I have always done cardio and started doing resistance bands and body weight workouts every other day.   Really hard to do anything that lifts my arms above my head due to rotator cuffs.      Would like to build some strength around them.
View Quote

I do external rotation bands at home for them and lay on my side and do dumbells for them . Luckily no probs with rotator cuffs, but trying to keep it that way.

Just while watching TV or something.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:16:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know people like it, and maybe I’m unlucky, but the number of in shape runners I’ve known and known of, that drop dead from heart attacks is enough that if it  doesn’t hurt, it damn sure doesn’t help.

I was also into and around powerlifting into my late 30s and most of the guys who were into that are pretty well clapped out by now in our 40s.

View Quote

I won’t dispute your experience, but I will say cardiovascular training can be more than running… and running only uses two of our four limbs, while other forms of CV training exercise the heart more efficiently as Len Schwartz would argue.  

Heavy hands, crawling, Jacob’s ladder, cross country skiing, rowing, etc. might be a better choice.

Doug Hepburn and Len Schwartz seemed to make it to old age gracefully, all training in moderation (maybe with some variety) might be a wise idea for longevity for most humans…

And yes sprints are awesome.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#7]
How to Reverse Out Shoulder Pain

@victorgonzales

Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yesterday did 50 min elliptical on intervals.

Then hang for 45 seconds on pull up bar for 4 times with breaks (good for shoulders), then bands for rotator cuffs. Then back extensions on that pad you lean against.

Heading to gym today to do the workout in the OP.

Will do that for a couple weeks then switch it up with some of the info here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Rested exactly 90 seconds between sets (which seemed like a long time), according to Garmin watch.

Fucking work time versus rest time stat is crazy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Braj why the purple gym? F that S. You need to be in a judgment rich zone and subject to gymtimidation.

Drive another block or two to Midtown. Every weekday around lunch time. $45/mo, no contract. Motivated people and purty ladies to side eye. See you there.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25665/Screenshot_20221119-125330_Connect_jpg-2606351.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25665/Screenshot_20221119-125438_Connect_jpg-2606352.JPG

Rested exactly 90 seconds between sets (which seemed like a long time), according to Garmin watch.

Fucking work time versus rest time stat is crazy.
View Quote

LOL pencil calves.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Seems cluttered.

My workout this weekend is deadlifts.....just deadlifts. Should take like 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Braj why the purple gym? F that S. You need to be in a judgment rich zone and subject to gymtimidation.

Drive another block or two to Midtown. Every weekday around lunch time. $45/mo, no contract. Motivated people and purty ladies to side eye. See you there.
View Quote

10 bucks a month at purple. That's a lot of savings.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:44:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

10 bucks a month at purple. That's a lot of savings.
View Quote

You can’t put a price on being a bad ass motherfucker.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can’t put a price on being a bad ass motherfucker.

View Quote

I need to build a big Ole shop and rebuild a gym.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Not wanting to pile on here, especially in a GD lifting thread, so I'll mainly say that from looking at the workout posted in the OP, I have no idea what you're trying to achieve. It just looks like a bunch of crap thrown together without any underlying goal.

Also, those sets of 20 prior to doing sets across are pure junk volume and a waste of time. Assuming your sets across are of sufficient intensity, those 20's have to light enough that you can't have more than a couple effective reps in the whole set, at best. You really need to drop those. If you do want to do a high rep burn type set, it should be after your working sets (at sufficient intensity) not prior to. Doing them first make absolutely zero sense.

You really ought to define your goals and pick a pre-written program that addresses those. Right now it looks like you're exercising, not training.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not wanting to pile on here, especially in a GD lifting thread, so I'll mainly say that from looking at the workout posted in the OP, I have no idea what you're trying to achieve. It just looks like a bunch of crap thrown together without any underlying goal.

Also, those sets of 20 prior to doing sets across are pure junk volume and a waste of time. Assuming your sets across are of sufficient intensity, those 20's have to light enough that you can't have more than a couple effective reps in the whole set, at best. You really need to drop those. If you do want to do a high rep burn type set, it should be after your working sets (at sufficient intensity) not prior to. Doing them first make absolutely zero sense.

You really ought to define your goals and pick a pre-written program that addresses those. Right now it looks like you're exercising, not training.
View Quote

Just basically doing a full body split 3 x a week or so. Picking a few exercises for each body part.

The 2o rep thing is cause I'm old and I want to warm up get some blood going.  And it kinda let's me know how I'm feeling.

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:58:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Just basically doing a full body split 3 x a week or so. Picking a few exercises for each body part.

The 2o rep thing is cause I'm old and I want to warm up get some blood going.  And it kinda let's me know how I'm feeling.

View Quote
I can appreciate that, I'm old too. But 20 rep sets to start out are still junk volume, particularly when you're older. Us old guys lack the recovery ability of younger guys, so stop wasting volume on sets that are doing you absolutely no good. You don't need 20 reps to warm up, at least not in a single set.

Just by way of example, I may do a half dozen plus sets to work up do my working sets on heavy lifts, but they're sets of 3-5. That's more than sufficient to warm up and feel the weight prior to working sets.

Just my advice since that what your OP asks for; it's worth what you paid for it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Seems cluttered.

My workout this weekend is deadlifts.....just deadlifts. Should take like 30 minutes.
View Quote

and your results will be consistent with the minimal effort put in
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieNWgx5vz2A
@victorgonzales

Click To View Spoiler
View Quote
Nice .  I incorporated the first two with light resistance.  That third one is impossible for now maybe I can work up to it.  That third one I can feel that feeling I get when I'm about to disable myself for a week. Lol.  That probably means it's what I need to get fixed.  May e a few weeks with the first two will build me up to that one.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:04:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I can appreciate that, I'm old too. But 20 rep sets to start out are still junk volume, particularly when you're older. Us old guys lack the recovery ability of younger guys, so stop wasting volume on sets that are doing you absolutely no good. You don't need 20 reps to warm up, at least not in a single set.

Just by way of example, I may do a half dozen plus sets to work up do my working sets on heavy lifts, but they're sets of 3-5. That's more than sufficient to warm up and feel the weight prior to working sets.

Just my advice since that what your OP asks for; it's worth what you paid for it.
View Quote

That makes sense. I guess I used to do that too when doing more heavy barbell workouts.

Lately with the machines I just been doing the high rep stuff. I kinda found I liked the pump and feel of it and justified it internally that I would be getting a lot of endurance for obstacle courses and stuff.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use the high rep warmup.  Look up Wenning Warmup.  He just did another video on it with Jujimufu or however you say his screen name.  I think it works.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Seems cluttered.

View Quote

A few years ago, I was doing relatively heavy (for me) deadlifts 3x a week. Alternating conventional with sumo then conventional. It was fatiguing as hell  but good in its own way.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I use the high rep warmup.  Look up Wenning Warmup.  He just did another video on it with Jujimufu or however you say his screen name.  I think it works.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh. Those guys do enough juice they can handle the volume.

Old guys should read The Barbell Prescription if they don’t know what to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A few years ago, I was doing relatively heavy (for me) deadlifts 3x a week. Alternating conventional with sumo then conventional. It was fatiguing as hell  but good in its own way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems cluttered.

What was your best squat/bench/dead?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:15:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Leg curls and extensions don’t count. Rotating squats with another exercise means you aren’t squatting enough.

A:
Squat: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3 (successive workouts)
Squat: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Bench: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3
Bench: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Chins

B:
Deadlift: work up to a heavy single or double
Press: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3
Press: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Pull-ups

Do each workout 2x/wk

Do cardio 2-3x/wk on non lift days. Make sure to work in HIIT and/or days where you do multiple physical events then do some running/rowing/sled/prowler work.

View Quote

You forgot "curls for the girls"

There is no need to squat 2x and DL 2x in a week unless you just want to develop a fat ass.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha I'm aware he's juiced to the gills.  I do the barbell only for 4 sets of 25 of whatever movement, then light bands for sets of 25 the other movements.  It's the fastest way to warm up that I've found.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

What was your best squat/bench/dead?
View Quote

330,260, 405

Weak to some, but strongest I've ever been in whole life at age of 43 on keto. While losing 50lbs and weighing in at 182lbs
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

There is no need to squat 2x and DL 2x in a week unless you just want to develop a fat ass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leg curls and extensions don’t count. Rotating squats with another exercise means you aren’t squatting enough.

A:
Squat: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3 (successive workouts)
Squat: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Bench: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3
Bench: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Chins

B:
Deadlift: work up to a heavy single or double
Press: work up to a heavy set of 5, 4, 3
Press: drop set AMRAP at 50% of max
Pull-ups

Do each workout 2x/wk

Do cardio 2-3x/wk on non lift days. Make sure to work in HIIT and/or days where you do multiple physical events then do some running/rowing/sled/prowler work.

Oops. Meant lift only 2x/wk.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:44:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Seems cluttered.

Worked in the cold for 6 days this week. I'm fine with it.

Got a big push going into January, lots of cold hours coming up, can't waste too many calories on lifting.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I just wanna be able to do this:

This is the reason to stay in shape.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 6:11:17 PM EDT
[#32]
My BBJ coach/ lifting enthusiast buddy recommended the GreySkull LP strength program to start out lifting. I’m 2 months in and I think it’s going really well. The .pdf of the program is widely available online.

There are only 4 core lifts: military press, bench press, squat, and deadlift. You can add whatever accessories you want, but I try to stick to the 3 day/week core program. If I go to the gym extra days I do oddball leg/ab exercises or cardio.

The core lifts, except for deadlift, you do sets of 5,5,5+. If you fail to hit 5 on the 3rd set, you drop 10% weight the next time you do the lift and work back up. Deadlifts are one working set of 5+ and done only 1x per week. The upper body lifts alternate  each day. IIRC your starting weight is the highest weight you can do 6-7 reps of.

You need 1.25lb fractional plates because the upper body lifts go up 2.5lbs every day you do them. The lower body lifts go up 5lbs. You can double jump if you hit over 10 on the 3rd set.

If you want to do higher rep sets, that’s ok for the accessories. I try to hit 5-10 minutes cardio and 6 exercises per session and it takes about 1:15 or so.

It seems like slow gains, especially using the tiny fractional weights, but it adds up pretty quick. I keep track on Google sheets on my phone. This is what my core lift progression looks like so far. (I don’t include warmup sets in the spreadsheet)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Just watched a video saying for volume,  u should do 9 to 18 sets per body part. Per week.

I have been doing my full body workout 3 x per week. Let's look at back. For last week, I would do each time:

Weighted pull-ups 3x3
Lat pull downs 4x8
Bent over rows 4x8
And maybe add seated cable rows for 1 day  4x8

So that week for back (not including deadlift) I have Mayne 36 to 40 sets for back.

Is this way too much?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:48:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Just watched a video saying for volume,  u should do 9 to 18 sets per body part. Per week.

Best Amount of Sets & Reps For Each Body Part With Full-Body Workouts
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#35]
Don't fall in to the "optimal" trap.

Do something until it stops working, then do something else.

People love to get analysis paralysis when it comes to working out.
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 9:43:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Feeling pretty effin good in the pseudo-gym. Good pump. Muscles feeling harder and slightly bigger.

They're having a weight loss contest at work. I found out just a few days before weigh in. I gorged myself and drank a ton of water and protein shakes.

Got up to 210 for weigh in with clothes.

Goal to get down to 175 by March 1.

Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:10:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Purple power !Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 6:35:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Get it!
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Will be finishing up 4 weeks of the 4x6 block. In reality it ends up being 4x7 or 8 as I kind of guess at the appropriate weight to get me near the difficulty level. I usually have one or more reps in me to get me closer to failure.

So then I will have done full body workout 3x per week for 6 weeks at 2x20 with lighter weight  and 4 week same but at 4x6 with heavier weight.

Have lost about 7 lbs in last week. Eating keto and less calories. And walking around in snow a lot.

------------
Trying to figure out what kind of split and rep range I want to do next.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Arfcom just did a podcast with Rip

https://youtu.be/JQ-MAUz4eSI
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 3:26:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Purple power leg rehab continuing. From summer hamstring /glute tear doing verrrrry light leg work in September to now adding weight to all leg exercises.  Been walking in snow too. That seems to help strengthen. Sore at night throbbing glute. But better.

Purple power.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Can you do normal squats instead of in the smith?

You can lift much heavier than you should using the smith and you don't learn to balance yourself.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 7:36:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can you do normal squats instead of in the smith?

You can lift much heavier than you should using the smith and you don't learn to balance yourself.
View Quote

Not in the purple palace.

Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#45]
How do gym bros feel about 5 x 5 for 4 weeks?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not a gym bro.

5x5s are great, but 4 weeks isn't long enough.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 12:56:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not a gym bro.

5x5s are great, but 4 weeks isn't long enough.
View Quote

Thats to start and will follow up with THOR for 14 weeks after.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:08:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Be consistent about working out and lift as heavy with good form as you can and that'll be 99.9% of what matters. I've tried a ton of programs over the past 20 years and honestly the program matters less than just doing it. So pick the one that you enjoy the most and use good form.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:21:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
squat, press, dead, bench all with barbell.
I am just talking starting strength from rippetoe.

You can switch to something else once you get bored and never be afraid to do your curls in the squat rack
View Quote

This ^

Back squats are a foundational exercise.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Squat

Bench

Deadlift

Rows of some kind

Bicep work of some kind

Incline bench if your shoulders can take it

Add in some direct accessory work if you feel you need it.  

Some cardio on your off days.

Done.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top