Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2019 11:24:58 PM EDT
All of the Democrats running for President are vowing to ban "assault weapons" and institute a buy back. If you aren't willing to institute a confiscatory buy back then you're a dead duck with the Democrats.

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say they do. Let's say they ban all semi-auto handguns and rifles with the various evil features and they institute a buy back program.

What does that, for legal purposes do with NFA weapons? Let's say you have a registered machine gun, or a registered SBR with all of the various evil features. You paid a tax to get that weapon. You have a tax stamp in hand authorizing you to own that weapon. Can they just up and revoke that?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
With this SCOTUS?

Probably.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:30:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Not gonna happen without a lot of steps first. I'm not worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:31:46 PM EDT
[#3]
They never owned them to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They never owned them to begin with.
View Quote
Hmmm, off to make a meme.

ETA:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:32:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm curious hypothetically.

If you paid a tax for something, can the government come back and take it away, for no other reason than they don't want you to have it anymore?
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:33:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Come and take it.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:33:36 PM EDT
[#7]
The resulting civil war will take priority over answering that question.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Small brain: lawyers arbitrarily make shit happen
Medium brain: lawyers navigate and exploit complex rulesets to serve their clients and balance civic interests
Galaxy brain: see pt 1
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:36:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The thing about governments, they can do what ever their citizens let them.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:38:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:39:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you paid a tax for something, can the government come back and take it away, for no other reason than they don't want you to have it anymore?
View Quote
What about state level bans where people paid sales tax?

Hell bumpstocks even.

I don't these fuckers care about taxes in this way.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:44:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hell bumpstocks even.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell bumpstocks even.

It's an interesting question.

The sales tax is a minute cost. 6%? 8%?

But, if you take a rifle that was $800 to build, and you pay a $200 tax on that rifle, that's a 25% cost.

Then again, it's probably immaterial. They probably don't give a fuck one way or another, and it's doubtful that the judges to either. Totalitarian governments that seize property aren't going to be restrained by the fact that they're robbing you of your tax dollars. Hell, all of these fuckers are running on the platform of robbing you of your tax dollars.
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:49:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/1/2019 11:53:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Far from a legal expert, but if they can eminent domain your property, I have a feeling they don't care too much about a tax stamp. Govt can do pretty much whatever they want to do, if they want to, bad enough.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:02:53 AM EDT
[#15]
You may measure the corruption of a government by the number of laws that are ignored by its citizenry.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:03:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they can pass laws and violate the Constitution to ban semi-auto rifles and buy them back, they can do it with NFA items too.  The fact that people paid a $200 tax doesn’t make it special.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:08:11 AM EDT
[#17]
The Dims. would have to take over Congress and write some legislation to enact the ban, appropriate funds for the buy back, and amend the NFA. Then the lawyers would get paid to litigate whether or not the new legislation is constitutional WRT the 2nd amdt. GD would start 87 threads about how C.J. Roberts is going to fuck us. ATF stops selling stamps. Transfers stop. Your $20k transferable is now worth $0.87.
80% lowers become unobtainium.
Something like that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:31:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You have a tax stamp in hand authorizing you to own that weapon. Can they just up and revoke that?
View Quote
The Constitution already says they can't do any of the things they've already done.  What, exactly, do you think will stop them THIS time?

I mean, at BEST they'd give your $200 back.  But I doubt they'd even do that.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:48:57 AM EDT
[#20]
If they ban everything, everything can be NFA

Why limit yourself when open-bolt FA is easier to make than closed-bolt SA, and shorter barrels are also easier to make? It's all illegal so why not go big?
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:53:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Just imagine for a second of all the riots in the history of the Earth where the populace was not Armed to the Teeth like current Americans are...... It will be one fucking shit show for sure, and lots of politicians may be taken out by lots of 2nd amendment supporters, errr i meant lots of American Citizens.

No time in the past has the populace been armed to the point where the Government has a chance to loose except in the USA, and i doubt that the .Gov will use Nukes against it's own people.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 12:55:03 AM EDT
[#22]
With so many states thumbing their noses at Federal Law, I don't see how they can confiscate anything as long as a State makes it legal. Pot is Federally illegal but 20 or so states have made it legal. Seems like free states can just pass a law making Federally banned guns and mags legal and tell .gov to go fuck themselves. Hell, maybe that's what will get this party started.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:00:48 AM EDT
[#23]
The precedent may correlate to alcohol and tax stamps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless free men are willing to fight, and die, to stop that the govt can do what the hell they want.

Bump stocks were taxed. Albeit at a lower rate, still illegal.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:31:13 AM EDT
[#25]
A couple questions Brothers,

Since every democrat has come out and admitted that they will ban semi autos, how can you justify voting for or supporting them in any way?

What kind of mental gymnastics are you guys using to not do everything you can to oppose them including supporting our currently elected President?(Albeit he's not perfect, but I think he learns from his mistakes.)

ETA: President Trump is not a "gun guy." Hell, I doubt he knows the difference between a "real assault rifle" and an "AR15". He does what his advisers tell him to. He is a wheeler dealer. His advisers told him bump stocks were no big thing. He looked at it as a pawn that could be sacrificed. He quickly found out he was wrong. He does not like to be wrong so he back peddled. This is what we want, a polititian that listens and reacts to the people. Of course the democraps weren't satisfied. They are democraps, pieces of shit! Show me just one pro 2nd amendment democrap. It is imperative that they never gain any more ground. Just look at all the shit they have stirred up when they stole the house. We need to retake the house, retain the senate, and kick these anti americans out of our government. How? I'll leave that to smarter people than me, but I don't want to fight a left vs right revolution in our country.
(I suggest everyone pick up some of those blue odd shaped pieces of metal that help make freedom glitter)
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:34:54 AM EDT
[#26]
They would have to repeal the NFA first

Second start learning to sling sparkly pieces of freedom.

Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:36:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
With so many states thumbing their noses at Federal Law, I don't see how they can confiscate anything as long as a State makes it legal. Pot is Federally illegal but 20 or so states have made it legal. Seems like free states can just pass a law making Federally banned guns and mags legal and tell .gov to go fuck themselves. Hell, maybe that's what will get this party started.
View Quote
Even if that happened, you can forget buying new ones as they will definitely enforce it from the FFL end. FFL's aren't going to sell when they are regulated by ATF and subject to record keeping and inspections.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:37:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I have no doubt that some here will not vote for Trump
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:42:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Just imagine for a second of all the riots in the history of the Earth where the populace was not Armed to the Teeth like current Americans are...... It will be one fucking shit show for sure, and lots of politicians may be taken out by lots of 2nd amendment supporters, errr i meant lots of American Citizens.

No time in the past has the populace been armed to the point where the Government has a chance to loose except in the USA, and i doubt that the .Gov will use Nukes against it's own people.
View Quote
And imagine 10-100 Timothy Mcveighs.

He did that just because they banned mags and a few other reasons, back then most of the people didn't have the info they did today.

And them add another 10-100 killdozers and pics of slain patriots on Facebook, Twitter and the MSM.

Even If I was a senator and hated guns, their is no way I would ban them as I know how bad Shit will hit the fan if you push gun owners in a corner.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 1:43:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hypothetically speaking, does paying a tax on something mean you own it more, less, or just as much as something on which you didn't pay a tax?

Does the fact that it's a firearm really have anything to do with it? Yes, I get the firearm is the poster child for this argument with the specific gun control acts and tax stamps and proof required on .gov side and citizen side, but it could be something else that meets those criteria.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:13:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Depends on the text of the bill. Generally, Title I (Non-NFA) guns are regulated in a vacuum relative to TITLE II (NFA) firearms. For example, the AWB in Maryland doesn’t touch machine guns, only semi-auto, Title I firearms. Therefore, it’s perfectly legal to buy an M16A1, but an SP1 is a felony.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:30:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Depends on the text of the bill. Generally, Title I (Non-NFA) guns are regulated in a vacuum relative to TITLE II (NFA) firearms. For example, the AWB in Maryland doesn’t touch machine guns, only semi-auto, Title I firearms. Therefore, it’s perfectly legal to buy an M16A1, but an SP1 is a felony.
View Quote
Money talks. The rich will have their legal security details.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:52:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Money talks. The rich will have their legal security details investment grade collectors’ items.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Money talks. The rich will have their legal security details investment grade collectors’ items.
FIFY. Although in Maryland I’m about 99% sure that it was purely out of total ignorance on the part of esteemed representatives in the State Assembly on how machine guns are regulated in comparison to semi-auto rifles.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:27:01 AM EDT
[#34]
If/when those A-Holes take power it will get very ugly very fast. Opposition will be crushed, in the "name of the law and social order" quickly, by any means "necessary".
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Did I make it in before the people who do not ever want to see the NFA repealed, in order to "protect their investment?"
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:23:00 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm so sick of politicians attempting to "think". It seems that their solution is to always call a plumber to fix a missing button on a shirt at five times the price.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 7:56:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Doesn't take a, "legal eagle," to know that government can take actions that are contrary to our constitutional rights and not in our best interests. It's being done now and it will get worse when Democrats hold a majority in congress.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#38]
What you really need to be asking is at what point, EXACTLY what point in history, should have European Jews (and others) stopped following the law and started fighting for their lives.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:01:43 AM EDT
[#39]
NFA items becomes"previously legal" along with all the other property that was "previously legal" before it no longer was.

BTW: "buying back" something which .gov never owned in the first place is Orwellian newspeak for "seizing them".
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:12:04 AM EDT
[#40]
The problem, of course, is all legal nfa items are registered. This makes for a tidy list the government can use to collect then.  Title 1 firearms don't have the same issue.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 8:15:10 AM EDT
[#41]
The folks doing the "buying bacK" (NOT the folks selling) are putting big targets on their chest and back.

You know it won't be the Reps or Senators who voted for it, or the communist President who "authorizes it".

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top