Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:09:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Dang! I have two Marlins. Stainless 336 30-30 and a .45-70.  That is really tempting!
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd sell those in a heartbeat.

Lever actions aren't in any danger, in my opinion.

View Quote

Agree. It’s insane what some things are going for.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:13:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
...Bolts guns ...
View Quote

you mean sniper rifles, that should be stored in a government approved IOT safe that the president can remotely lock in the event of a trumpist insurrection

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez, I wonder what my 1957 Winchester 1894 would bring?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Lever actions aren't in any danger, in my opinion
View Quote
They will be.
1st AWB to ban all "evil rifles"
2nd all semi autos and semi hand guns
3rd lever actions & pumps
4th bolt actions
5th revolvers
6th single shots
7th muzzles
8th all nfa firearms
9th archery
10th steak knives

But ya may move some numbers around. NFA may be done after all semi autos banned.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 4:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They will be.
1st AWB to ban all "evil rifles"
2nd all semi autos and semi hand guns
3rd lever actions & pumps
4th bolt actions
5th revolvers
6th single shots
7th muzzles
8th all nfa firearms
9th archery
10th steak knives

But ya may move some numbers around. NFA may be done after all semi autos banned.
View Quote
Ahhh the jolly old England approach.

Yeah, they're going after all semi autos and mags over 10 rounds first. Maybe a carve out for the Garand, but I doubt it.
Not even the mini 14 will be missed (get it, mini 14, missed).

Next they're going after pistols and revolvers. Pistols are by far the most common gun used in crime and suicide, so that will be the justification.

Fudd guns will seem safe till the next mass shooting. Then evil sniper rifles, pumps, and lever actions will be banned.

Now, everything won't be completely banned, the NFA will exist, but just like in Europe and NYC, only the rich and politically connected will own guns.

Muzzle loaders will be allowed to exist, because while the rest of the constitution is a living document, the founders only meant muzzle loaders.

Archery will exist, as will knives, but you're going to jump through hoops to buy them.

Even more importantly though, the right to self defense will be gone. If you harm one hair on a criminals head, you're going to jail.

But what about the 2A and SCOTUS, you ask with hope in your eyes.... hah they're going to rule that a muzzle loader kept at a hunting club is obviously what the founders meant by shall not be infringed.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I absolutely refuse to sell a tactical rifle right now, due to possible antigun legislation.

However... I bought a marlin dark series 30/30 last year for $600 bucks. It's still new in box. Apparently Marlins shut down, and stopping their manufacture for a year or so has prices insane.. the money into ar15 stuff, and in a year or two when Marlins are being produced by ruger and panic subsides replace them for around what I originally paid.
View Quote

I recently traded a “tactical rifle” for a dark series.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I absolutely refuse to sell a tactical rifle right now, due to possible antigun legislation.

However... I bought a marlin dark series 30/30 last year for $600 bucks. It's still new in box. Apparently Marlins shut down, and stopping their manufacture for a year or so has prices insane.. the money into ar15 stuff, and in a year or two when Marlins are being produced by ruger and panic subsides replace them for around what I originally paid.

Yup..   Considered that... Think im gonna sell and buy night vision in this instance.  
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#9]

What is a standard 336 selling for now?   Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

However... I bought a marlin dark series 30/30 last year for $600 bucks. It's still new in box. Apparently Marlins shut down, and stopping their manufacture for a year or so has prices insane..

One sold yesterday in the EE for $2300.00... and on gunbroker people are paying $2500-$3000.

Yeah.. I'm gonna have to sell it.... probably my stainless 45/70 guide gun as well.... dump the money into ar15 stuff, and in a year or two when Marlins are being produced by ruger and panic subsides replace them for around what I originally paid .

Iv got around $1400 in both guns.. can probably sell both for $3500 easily right now, especially if I throw in some 30/30 _ and 45/70 ammo.

Shits insane.
View Quote

Sir, get as much as you can while you can, I don't see Ruger ever producing the Marlin line, they only bought them out for the patents.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

yup
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Leverguns will have to be the new truckgun at some point.

When that happens you won't be able to buy one or ammo for it. Even when Ruger ramps up.

Keep a couple in reserve, sell the rest.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Leverguns will have to be the new truckgun at some point.
View Quote

They've been the truckgun for decades.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What would someone expect to pay for an early 1950's win model 94?
@pcsutton
View Quote
Depends. I knew a guy who wouldn't bat an eye at paying 100k for a rare issue model 94 that he didn't have and needed for his collection.

Thing is - he had most all of them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#15]
This is a shitty time to be looking for a .357 levergun
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:38:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I shouldn’t have looked. My 1895sbl appears to be worth a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I shouldn’t have looked. My 1895sbl appears to be worth a pretty penny.
View Quote

yup. i just got done prettying up my two ladies to sell them.

Attachment Attached File

heres a 4 shot 100 yard group from the stainless 45/70..  its accurate as hell. i did that group with a 1.5x5 scope. probably pulled that flier.

Attachment Attached File

100 yard group. i was zeroing and only had a 1/2 box of ammo with me. first 4 rds were 50 yard zero.   next two were adjusting to 100 yards at bottom of this target touching, and last 4 were after the adjustment, zeroing the gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Replace it with what though? Ruger claimed (optimistically) they wouldn't have their version of Marlin back on the market till late fall 2021. That's before stuff got really crazy here recently. Who knows when they'll have models back on the shelves and who knows what they'll actually come up with. A faithful reproduction utilizing old school quality manufacturing and quality components or a low-cost version to sell to the masses? The JM and Remlin prices might climb even higher. And what are you going to buy with the profit in the mean time? More washtubs full of P-mags? More $1,500 AR's that were $650 a couple months back? Seems like a bad move to me OP.
View Quote

Agree..I sold a beretta M9A1($700) NIB Colt 6920($1500) and 400 rounds of 556($320) + $500 out of pocket  to fund the  purchase of 2 Miroku Winchesters 1873 and 1892 deluxe takedown case color octagonal 16"barrel in  38/357 mag.Paid 3k for the pair before gunprime raise the prices from 1499 to 1699 .ARs are dime a dozen and I only need one
https://gunprime.com/products/winchester-1873-357-mag-trapper-grade-i-limited-1-of-201-534250137https://gunprime.com/products/winchester-1892-357-mag-deluxe-trapper-takedown-16-barrel-534257137
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:10:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sir, get as much as you can while you can, I don't see Ruger ever producing the Marlin line, they only bought them out for the patents.
View Quote
You think so?
Quoted:

View Quote

And the coach gun, and horse gun, etc....

The pre-safety rifles will always be worth good money.

BTW, for any of you who actually give a shit about an AWB for some reason, or haven't lost everything boating like me..... your Black or Dark series will be on the 1st one due to the scary threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:38:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

yup. i just got done prettying up my two ladies to sell them.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/dark_1_jpg-1793546.JPG

heres a 4 shot 100 yard group from the stainless 45/70..  its accurate as hell. i did that group with a 1.5x5 scope. probably pulled that flier.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/stainless_1_jpg-1793549.JPG

100 yard group. i was zeroing and only had a 1/2 box of ammo with me. first 4 rds were 50 yard zero.   next two were adjusting to 100 yards at bottom of this target touching, and last 4 were after the adjustment, zeroing the gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/92687/range_day_91_jpg-1793660.JPG
View Quote

Damn, I am jealous.  I really like the stainless one.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You think so?

BTW, for any of you who actually give a shit about an AWB for some reason, or haven't lost everything boating like me..... your Black or Dark series will be on the 1st one due to the scary threaded barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You think so?
Quoted:

ruger would be retarded if they dont make more marlin lever actions. its probably their best seller easily.  

what they NEED to do, is capitalize on the tactical aspect of it and produce shit like  cerakoted 16" threaded  lever guns, in .357, 45lc, 44mag, maybe 454 casull, 500 S&W, etc. like the dark series.  a line of threaded stainless steel pistol caliber lever guns, as well as both dark series and stainless in 30/30, 45/70 etc.  a threaded .22 lever action, etc. just make the damn rifles and offer a threaded version of each.

as well as their usual stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Don't be surprised if the threaded barrel on some of them becomes a no-no.

I would disagree with calling all lever guns non-tactical.   They're really quiet with a can and subsonic.   But I can see the value in taking 1500-2k in profit and reinvesting it in something more important if you have specific needs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

ruger would be retarded if they dont make more marlin lever actions. its probably their best seller easily.  

what they NEED to do, is capitalize on the tactical aspect of it and produce shit like  cerakoted 16" threaded  lever guns, in .357, 45lc, 44mag, maybe 454 casull, 500 S&W, etc. like the dark series.  a line of threaded stainless steel pistol caliber lever guns, as well as both dark series and stainless in 30/30, 45/70 etc.  a threaded .22 lever action, etc. just make the damn rifles and offer a threaded version of each.

View Quote
Totally agree. Marlin had shit quality for decades and people still bought them (like other Rem products, lol). Most will see the changeover to Ruger ownership as when Marlin started making "good" guns again if Ruger follows through. They will sell more than ever if all is well.

Personally, I'd like a dark laminate 30-30, with nitrided metal and threaded 20" barrel. Would definitely be awesome with subsonic loads.

Quoted:

Don't be surprised if the threaded barrel on some of them becomes a no-no.

I would disagree with calling all lever guns non-tactical.   They're really quiet with a can and subsonic.   But I can see the value in taking 1500-2k in profit and reinvesting it in something more important if you have specific needs.
View Quote
Totally agree.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

My friend in NY saw one of the Henry Big Boy X models at a Dick's last weekend, they wanted $900 though.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sell them and buy a scar
View Quote

He’s already got mine locked away.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

My friend in NY saw one of the Henry Big Boy X models at a Dick's last weekend, they wanted $900 though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

they're going north of $1400 on GB
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:53:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:57:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

However... I bought a marlin dark series 30/30 last year for $600 bucks. It's still new in box. Apparently Marlins shut down, and stopping their manufacture for a year or so has prices insane..

One sold yesterday in the EE for $2300.00... and on gunbroker people are paying $2500-$3000.

Yeah.. I'm gonna have to sell it.... probably my stainless 45/70 guide gun as well.... dump the money into ar15 stuff, and in a year or two when Marlins are being produced by ruger and panic subsides replace them for around what I originally paid .

Iv got around $1400 in both guns.. can probably sell both for $3500 easily right now, especially if I throw in some 30/30 _ and 45/70 ammo.

Shits insane.
View Quote

I can pay what you have in it. I want a 30-30 for a walking around gun but don’t want to mess up the family heirloom one.

Lol I guess I won’t be buying a lever gun anytime soon
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

What will a lever gun cost after they take everything else?  Can you afford to replace it?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:06:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:27:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Holy crap!  How much can I get for my Marlin .375 Winchester?  I even have ammo for it.  Of course that's all the ammo you'll eve find but what does that matter?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:20:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Jesus Effin Christ.  I’ve got a like new JM marked 336 with a Leupold scope and mounts and a bunch of ammo.  Maybe I can put it up for trade on the EE for an HK SP5 PDW.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:38:50 PM EDT
[#33]
So how much is my zero round count 45/70 GBL worth right now?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:46:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Holy shit.

My 1895 SBL might be the most valuable gun I own. Pretty sure I bought it for $700.
View Quote

I paid $699 for my SBL sometime in 2012 I sold it in 2015 for $1600
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I paid $799 at Scheels before tax + S/H for a .44 BBX.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:26:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a Marlin 45-70 I bought about 10 years ago for $400 NIB. I bought a .44 mag Marlin and a .357 mag Marlin a few months ago for about $550 each NIB. I then went and bought plenty of ammo for all 3 before the panic set in. I'm not selling any of them.
View Quote

That's a hell of a deal! They've both been selling new for about $650 +/- for at least a decade now. Especially the .357 version which always seems to be as rare as hens teeth. You get a buddy deal or something?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Depending on how much ammo you have clearing $8K isn't out of the question.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/HbZMJS0_jpg-1793003.JPG
View Quote

Cheaper to shoot 50cal
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sell them and buy a scar
View Quote
Yep.  You can still find decent prices on the SCAR 20S.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:43:33 AM EDT
[#39]
I’ll eventually get a Dark 357, but I’m not in a hurry with the current prices on them. I may list a Mega rifle and another Mega lower before long. They’ve just been sitting around.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:46:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sell them and buy a scar
View Quote

Sell them and buy ETH.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:19:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Those guns won’t be affected by an AWB so good move.
View Quote

Won't demand for these rifles increase if there actually is an AWB?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:22:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Sell both and buy a case of 5.56
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:45:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ruger knows how to make rotary detachable mag lever guns. A 10" threaded 300 BLK levergun or a 16" 6.5 Grendel would be awesome.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#45]
What did I miss? Why did lever actions and guns not impacted by a potential AWB double in value?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:51:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Hmm, I have a SS Marlin 44 mag in the safe someplace. I haven't shot it in a coons age... Looks like it might be worth more than what I payed for it..
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#47]
So I guess my 1957 marlin 336RC in .35 Rem is worth some coin.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:36:12 AM EDT
[#48]
I have a Marlin (blued) 30-30 Mod. 30AW micro grove barrel that's been sitting in my safe for decades.

I wonder if it's worth anything now.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:42:10 AM EDT
[#49]
I've a bunch of levers and the ammunition for them but I'm not tempted as of yet, anyway. At a minimum, theres a couple hundred factory rounds for each caliber from .22's to 45/70's plus all the reloading equipment for the centerfires. There's pre64 Winchesters, all the Marlins are JM bullseyes (by far the largest segment) and a spattering of Pumas. I have an 1895 45/70 Marlin and 336C 30-30 that I picked up in 2005 that haven't been fired though the levers have been thrown a couple thousand times to smooth out the actions. Why? because I have others.

There's many facets to firearms that I like and one of them is collecting and ownership. Unlike many of the millionaires here, each purchase has been a sacrifice in one way or another and the research done and all that so each represents an accomplishment in a way. I never looked at them as an investment even though I could make my money back many times over it seems and I'm not saying I don't have a price as that would be foolish. I just enjoy them for what they are. Then there is my sons who would be disappointed if I were to sell as each has already called dibs when I croak so that warms my heart some.

EDTA a typo correction.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:42:27 AM EDT
[#50]
I have a 30-35 year old Marlin 30AW that is good mechanical shape but the stock is beat to hell from riding on a 4 wheeler in the brush. I have some ammo for it too, haven't shot it in 30 years or more, guess I should try to unload it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top