Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:25:52 PM EDT
My mom gave me two of these little 6.5” diameter skillets she was going to toss.  I took them and cleaned the rust and sort of re-seasoned them.  I am going to sell one of them.  I checked EBay and am a bit surprised to see these going for nutty money.  My question is that these are used, do they lose any value if I clean them with a steel sponge on the outside, or am I losing patina that someone cares about?  Thanks.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 9:53:06 PM EDT
[#1]
not going to hurt anything, and if ya sell let me know.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#2]
They would sell here for about 40-45 dollars.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:11:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Wouldn't clean em any further, unless ya can't read the writing on bottom.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:49:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of those. I thought they were just novelties
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#5]
My son "stole" our skillet which I got from my mother when she passed.  By coincidence he started a temporary job in Erie PA and sent me this picture when he saw the bottom of the skillet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#6]
So, on a somewhat related topic, I ordered two cast iron cornbread molds from amazon last night.

Attachment Attached File

I read some comments that said to season the thing before use and to never start cooking without first warming it up.  Any tips on using this sort of thing?
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, on a somewhat related topic, I ordered two cast iron cornbread molds from amazon last night.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/178484/index_jpg-738567.JPG

I read some comments that said to season the thing before use and to never start cooking without first warming it up.  Any tips on using this sort of thing?
View Quote
Just make corn bread in a regular cast iron skillet.

Unless those corn stick pans are perfect, they stick every time...at least in my experience they do.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 10:23:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think there was just a GD thread on these with some info....search and see what you find.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Unless those corn stick pans are perfect, they stick every time...at least in my experience they do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lightly oil the pans then put in the oven and let them preheat.  When your oven reaches temperature, fill with batter and the cornbread sticks will pop right out.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:12:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Those are highly sought after. They are a GOOD cast iron skillet.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lightly oil the pans then put in the oven and let them preheat.  When your oven reaches temperature, fill with batter and the cornbread sticks will pop right out.
View Quote
Yup, same thing I do.  Which is the same thing i do with my regular skillets and I have no issues with sticking, they fall right out.

Every corn stick pan I've ever tried, all the oil pools in the bottom as it gets hot, and even when I attempt to spread that around, they stick in all the little crevices.

Just more work and no real benefit...I still have some corn stick pans as novelties.  They're cool, but useless for me.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yup, same thing I do.  Which is the same thing i do with my regular skillets and I have no issues with sticking, they fall right out.

Every corn stick pan I've ever tried, all the oil pools in the bottom as it gets hot, and even when I attempt to spread that around, they stick in all the little crevices.

Just more work and no real benefit...I still have some corn stick pans as novelties.  They're cool, but useless for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get them hot before pouring in batter. :-)
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have one of those. I thought they were just novelties
View Quote
@TacticalPenguin

Is that penguin still in jail?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#14]
One of my best friends is George Griswold.

That was his family's business. Grew up in Erie and now lives in New Orleans.
He has a ton of them along with an equal ton of old memorabilia.

I love my #8.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 9:40:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, cleaned them up.  Bad news is that one of them was cracked under the crud.  There is a small crack from the top to about 1/2” to the base of the skillet.  Garbage?  EBay?  Project for a competent welder who knows how to preheat cast iron before welding?  
I’m keeping the other one.  I cannot believe how smooth the inside is compared to my modern Lodge brand pans.  (My Lodge pans are fairly new).
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Here are some pictures of the good pan cleaned up and seasoned.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Second pic.  I just love how smooth the surface of the skillet is.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Heavily used and loved griswold

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ok, cleaned them up.  Bad news is that one of them was cracked under the crud.  There is a small crack from the top to about 1/2” to the base of the skillet.  Garbage?  EBay?  Project for a competent welder who knows how to preheat cast iron before welding?  
I’m keeping the other one.  I cannot believe how smooth the inside is compared to my modern Lodge brand pans.  (My Lodge pans are fairly new).
View Quote
JMHO, but the cracked pan should still be "collectible" to a limited extent. Many people like the large logo pans and will display the piece even if it has a small crack. You won't get rich off it, but you could make a few bucks.

I bought a couple of Griswold Victor's (a 9 & 7) because I liked the large logos.  They'll look good when I hang them and cook well too.

I also picked up this Ballard just because of the ornate casting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top