Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2022 3:00:30 PM EDT
Again, this has some pretty grim narrative in it.

APOLLO 1: The Fire 27 January 1967
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Again, this has some pretty grim narrative in it.

APOLLO 1: The Fire 27 January 1967
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Sad all parts and checks from the lowest bidder in a race to be the first.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Gus Grissom was very critical of the Apollo program. Not long before this incident, he had speared a lemon on a coat hanger and hung it from a model of the  CSM. He was very skeptical about the abilties of a lot of the hardware. He even told his wife (paraphrasing here) "Don't be surprised if I end up dead" His (Grissom's) son always suspected foul play with regard to the fire of Apollo I.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#5]
The audio of the fire and voice transmissions is out there.  It's tough to listen to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:38:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Sad read.

I believe NASA still has the capsule in storage somewhere.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The audio of the fire and voice transmissions is out there.  It's tough to listen to.
View Quote

Chafee can be heard screaming "we're burning up" right before the audio goes silent. Grissom's last words kind of go along with my post above. It was a complaint about some hardware (comms not working correctly in this case)
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Chafee can be heard screaming "we're burning up" right before the audio goes silent. Grissom's last words kind of go along with my post above. It was a complaint about some hardware (comms not working correctly in this case)
View Quote

They'd had a problem with the comms all day during that test. The article I posted said it sounded like someone's mike was open all the time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Apollo 1 Audio - 27 January, 1967

Audio of fire begins at the 30-minute mark.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#10]
The man who headed the investigation (and his whole family, IIRC) died in a tragic car/train accident shortly after he had investigated and was ready to report the findings of the Apollo I fire, IIRC......................
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Big hit for my family:  My best friend's father was a retired USAF Test Pilot.  He graduated from ther USAF Flight Test Pilot class with Gus Grissom.  Class 57B IRC.  Anyone have a pic of Gus Grissom's Test Pilot class?

And:

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sad read.

I believe NASA still has the capsule in storage somewhere.
View Quote

Yes, it's stored in a missile silo at Canaveral/Kennedy.  Challenger and Columbia are stored there as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The man who headed the investigation (and his whole family, IIRC) died in a tragic car/train accident shortly after he had investigated and was ready to report the findings of the Apollo I fire, IIRC......................
View Quote

Another example of incompetence being used to imply a conspiracy.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, it's stored in a missile silo at Canaveral/Kennedy.  Challenger and Columbia are stored there as well.
View Quote

I think it's still in a warehouse at NASA Langley
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is.
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/langley/news/researchernews/rn_apollo1.html#:~:text=The%20Apollo%201%20capsule%20was,being%20stored%20at%20NASA%20Langley.
Several years ago they showed the hatches at Kennedy. https://www.space.com/35477-apollo1-new-nasa-hatches-exhibit.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:18:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Locked in with no way out with an almost pure oxygen environment filled with electrical connections.

No way to escape due to Apollo 1 not having explosive safety latches on the hatch.

Very brave men indeed to enter that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you implying that what I said was not true? You can take it anyway you want, who cares?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#18]
In Last Man on the Moon they interview Chaffee’s widow. It’s pretty rough to watch.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember that day well even though I was just shy of 9 years old.  I was a major space flight buff.  I can still recite their names from memory.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Huh.  I didn't know it was at Langley.  Last I read it was in a missile silo.  Glad to see they moved it to a better facility.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Huh.  I didn't know it was at Langley.  Last I read it was in a missile silo.  Glad to see they moved it to a better facility.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Most of Challenger is stored in old missile silos at Canaveral. Colombia is mostly stored at the VAB for researchers to access.
https://www.space.com/29794-space-shuttles-challenger-columbia-debris-exhibit.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#22]
My father worked in the space program so even though I was a kid I followed it closely. I remember this vividly.

At that time we were really pushing the envelope of technology, and when you’re operating on that thin edge bad things can happen quickly. That’s why we had incidents like the loss of the Thresher, our deepest diving submarine, and B-58 Hustler bombers disintegrating in mid air while flying at Mach 2.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#23]
When I was a little kid, my parents took me to a parade honoring Gus Grissom after his Mercury flight. I still remember him sitting the the back of a convertible and waving at the crowd.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:03:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

No, not really
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, not really
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really
GD things everything is LPTA in the government acquisition world. I gave up trying to correct it every time I see that fucking statement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:11:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:11:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
GD things everything is LPTA in the government acquisition world. I gave up trying to correct it every time I see that fucking statement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really

Best value isn't much better once the KO's eyes glaze over and they stop understanding the engineers.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Best value isn't much better once the KO's eyes glaze over and they stop understanding the engineers.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really

Kharn
lol nowadays yeah. I'm referring more generally though. NASA had a really diverse acquisition process back in the day.
https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4102/ch4.htm
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most of Challenger is stored in old missile silos at Canaveral. Colombia is mostly stored at the VAB for researchers to access.
https://www.space.com/29794-space-shuttles-challenger-columbia-debris-exhibit.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

15 years or so ago, I attended a Logistics conference at KSC.  We had several hours off one day, so we explored KSC from the Wildlife Reserve to the north to Patrick AFB to the south.  One of the areas we explored was the old Minuteman silo where Challenger was stored.  There were locked gates, but a very sloppy fit, so we were able to squeeze by and walk to the silo itself.  The silo was closed but there was a nearby access hatch/opening and we could see the stairs going down.  It was filled with water.  I have no idea if the silo itself is filled and no one we talked to at KSC knew either.  The MM silos are probably no more than 10 above sea level.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gus Grissom was very critical of the Apollo program. Not long before this incident, he had speared a lemon on a coat hanger and hung it from a model of the  CSM. He was very skeptical about the abilties of a lot of the hardware. He even told his wife (paraphrasing here) "Don't be surprised if I end up dead" His (Grissom's) son always suspected foul play with regard to the fire of Apollo I.
View Quote

He is the namesake of my high school in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#31]
That's the stuff of nightmares for your last words to be 'We're burnin up!"
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well since about 75% of the conspiracy theories I know have been proven to be fact I don’t doubt anything anymore.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My SIL is a welding teacher there.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well since about 75% of the conspiracy theories I know have been proven to be fact I don’t doubt anything anymore.
View Quote

There are real conspiracies in every major undertaking that has ever happened at any point in history. Lies are told, shit is covered up, etc, etc. It's just how things work. With regard to Apollo I, there was some very questionable things, whether through gross negligence or intentional, but lies and cover-ups surely ensued as a result. How far and wide is anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Not to derail topic but related.
The Story of Astronaut Who Fell From Space!
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Locked in with no way out with an almost pure oxygen environment filled with electrical connections.

No way to escape due to Apollo 1 not having explosive safety latches on the hatch.

Very brave men indeed to enter that.
View Quote

They didn't have explosive bolts on the first Apollos because they had an unexpected explosion on Grissom's Mercury splashdown. It just went off and the capsule was lost in the water. The engineers didn't want to take chances of it happening again in space, so they took them off.

As far as a lot of the technical issues with the capsule and the final fire, Borman said in front of some Congressional committee that it was a "failure of imagination" and they just didn't think about some of those things going bad.

In a way it was good that Apollo 1 burned up. It forced NASA and the contractors to go back and fix a lot of problems before it killed more astronauts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#37]
If this accident had happened in orbit, or in fact at any time after lift-off, it may well have ended the project.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:59:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's the stuff of nightmares for your last words to be 'We're burnin up!"
View Quote

Quick death though. When my times comes, I hope it is as fast.........
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is just plain stupid…
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Until changes were made to Apollo , some people were going to die. Be it on the launch pad or in orbit, someone was gonna die.
I’m amazed that our space program went as long as it did with so few deaths.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:14:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If this accident had happened in orbit, or in fact at any time after lift-off, it may well have ended the project.
View Quote

Quite possibly. If not for the safe return of the 13 crew, it might've ended there.

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:25:05 PM EDT
[#42]

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#43]
I remember it well.  I was not even 7 years old.  I might still have the time magazine around here with them on the cover.

Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#44]

I wish I could go back in time and issue a warning to them. They probably wouldn't listen to a retard like me anyhow.......
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not likely. Between St. JFK's promise to put a man on the moon by 1970 and the threat of a Red Moon if the Russians beat us, not to mention all the pork and jobs NASA meant across the country, all the Walter Mondales in Congress weren't going to kill Apollo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 11:57:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, not really

That statement also implies the highest, or higher bidders, are the more competent parties to perform the job.

As a general contractor, I can firmly tell you that is false.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#47]
If you are ever in southern Indiana and you are near the town of Mitchell Indiana, go to Spring Mill State Park and visit the Gus Grissom Museum there. It's a really great little museum with a lot of space memorabilia in it.

Mitchell, Indiana and Lawrence County gave the United States three astronauts. Gus Grissom, Kenneth D. Bowersox and Charles D. Walker
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 12:11:17 PM EDT
[#48]
I think I read that Deke Slayton wanted to be in the capsule that day, laying at their feet, so he could more closely monitor the systems, but Grissom didn't let him.
Also, if it weren't for Apollo 1, Apollo 13 probably wouldn't have made it back.  All the extra insulation and potting on the electronics helped prevent shorts when they powered the CM back on, because there was condensed moisture on everything.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 2:42:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I think I read that Deke Slayton wanted to be in the capsule that day, laying at their feet, so he could more closely monitor the systems, but Grissom didn't let him.
Also, if it weren't for Apollo 1, Apollo 13 probably wouldn't have made it back.  All the extra insulation and potting on the electronics helped prevent shorts when they powered the CM back on, because there was condensed moisture on everything.
View Quote

Slayton stressed that he didn't have some kind of death wish. He said that he was close enough to the fire that he could have deployed an extinguisher and put it out before it got out of hand.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top