Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 5:22:43 AM EDT

Gregory Sierra, the actor known for his roles on "Barney Miller" and "Sanford and Son," has died at the age of 83, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

A family spokesperson told THR that Sierra died earlier this month after a long battle with cancer.

Sierra was best known for co-starring on the first two seasons of "Barney Miller" as the emotionally volatile Sgt. Miguel "Chano" Amanguale. He also appeared on three seasons of "Sanford and Son" as the Sanfords' Puerto Rican neighbor Julio Fuentes.

His other TV credits include "Hill Street Blues," "Soap," "Miami Vice," "Murder, She Wrote" and the short-lived "A.E.S. Hudson Street." His film credits include "The Flying Nun," "The Towering Inferno," "The Trouble with Spies" and "Mafia!"

Gregory Sierra's final acting credit was the long-delayed Orson Welles film "The Other Side of the Wind," which was released on Netflix in 2018 with footage shot by the late director in the 1970s.

R.I.P. Chano.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#1]
RIP, prolific character actor
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:36:33 AM EDT
[#2]
RIP.  Great actor.  The original LT on Miami Vice.  He was in lots of of stuff.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#3]
En pace requiescat.  Laughed at his characters many times growing up.  Prayers for his soul and his family.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:46:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Julio and his goat messing with Fred Sanford were some of my best laughs as a kid. What a great actor with a great career. RIP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:59:40 AM EDT
[#5]
RIP Julio
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:04:41 AM EDT
[#6]
RIP  Mr. Sierra
The first actor from Barney Miller to die was Jack Soo. He had an interesting life.
Hal Linden on his "Barney Miller" co star Jack Soo
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:36:46 AM EDT
[#7]
From the pot brownie episopde: “Let’s go down to the beach and shoot some clams.”

Great show.

I was selling Christmas trees in NYC 1978 at 89th & Columbus Ave.  As I was wrapping up a tree for a customer, I stood up and was face to face with Hal Linden. I stammered “hey, Barney Miller.” He smiled and nodded as he walked away. That’s my brush with fame.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I also just read that Mira Furlan (Danielle from "Lost" and Delenn on “Babylon 5") died at 65. Another article I read said she died from complications due to West Nile Virus.

R.I.P. Mira.

Seems like quite a few well known performers are passing away lately.

Mira Furlan, best known for her roles as Delenn on “Babylon 5” and Danielle Rousseau on “Lost,” died on Wednesday. She was 65.

Her Twitter account announced the news on Thursday, and “Babylon 5” creator J. Michael Straczynski posted a tribute to the actor later that night.

While a cause of death has yet not been revealed, Straczynski said the cast and crew of “Babylon 5” had “known for some time now that Mira’s health was fading.” “We kept hoping that she would improve,” he wrote. “In a group email sent to the cast a while back, I heard that she might be improving.”

However, Straczynski said he later got the call from “Babylon 5” co-star Peter Jurasik that Furlan’s husband, director Goran Gajic, was “bringing her home.”

“Mira was a good and kind woman, a stunningly talented performer, and a friend to everyone in the cast and crew of ‘Babylon 5,’ and we are all devastated by the news,” he wrote. “The cast members with whom she was especially close since the show’s end will need room to process this moment, so please be gentle if they are unresponsive for a time. We have been down this road too often, and it only gets harder.”

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 6:58:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Damn.  Barney Miller was hilarious.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:43:35 AM EDT
[#10]
He was all over TV in the 70's. RIP
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:52:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#12]
From a time when one's ethnicity was determined by a person's lineage not what they wanted it to be.  Dolzeal.  King.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:07:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Sorry Gregory Sierra, but I have to admit I couldn't sit through 5 seconds of Barney Miller
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
It was Cancer , F Cancer .
RIP he was in many roles .
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 1:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Miami Vice
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top