Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2021 8:42:02 PM EDT
Anybody know anything about one like this?  
Quick search shows a bunch of lathes but none that look similar to the photo.  
Got a bunch of pictures, looks in decent condition and comes with no significant tooling beyond what's no the lathe.  

Any idea on what it's worth?  
Any opinion on it in general?  
I'm looking for simple things, this is plenty adequate for my needs.

Appears to be an estate, guy selling knows nothing beyond pictures.  
My big concern is gears - there are none in the photos he sent.  Are there gears to swap on these for threading?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What's with all the wires - are they part of the lathe?  I'm thinking it's worth scrap value; I've bought and sold Tos Trencin lathes in the $3k range, and they were modern functional lathes.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:38:33 PM EDT
[#2]
A general opinion:  looks to be a beast, and likely a awkward science project at best.  The Aloris style tool holder does suggest it was/is capable of work.

I’d pass.  

Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A general opinion:  looks to be a beast, and likely a awkward science project at best.  The Aloris style tool holder does suggest it was/is capable of work.
View Quote

He says it runs great.  The big awkward pulley looks like an electric adaptation of what was originally a belt driven design?  
I wondered about size/weight... if that's a normal size toolpost then it's a pretty big lathe!  

The attraction is the price is right and it's a short drive away.  I've had zero luck finding anything remotely useful near the price of this thing....
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Its an interesting old lathe maybe early 1900s - 1920s. It would be fine for turning but  don't see a thread dial so no thread cutting. If some of the change gears are missing feed options are limited.
Interesting machine but I would pass on it unless you have plenty of room and it is really cheap. Just $.02 worth from an old school machinist.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its an interesting old lathe maybe early 1900s - 1920s. It would be fine for turning but  don't see a thread dial so no thread cutting. If some of the change gears are missing feed options are limited.
Interesting machine but I would pass on it unless you have plenty of room and it is really cheap. Just $.02 worth from an old school machinist.
View Quote
I think it's flush with the saddle, under that elec box.  That shaft running to a gear on the leadscrew is what makes me think this.

May also be a qcgb on the far left, not sure.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:09:20 AM EDT
[#6]
More pics needed for sure.

It definitely looks like a heavy lathe but parts may be hard to get so make sure it's all in operational condition before buying.

In regards to gears, if it has a QCGB on the lead & feed then the only possible gears would be the metric transposing gears which would be a rarity on old iron lathes.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:03:41 AM EDT
[#7]
What are they asking?  Makes a huge difference....

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are they asking?  Makes a huge difference....
View Quote

$1500, it runs great, and is "negotiable because I know nothing about it and need it gone".  

I'm passing mainly on the sheer size/weight.  Unfortunately I'm just a chump in the suburbs with a 2 car garage that is almost full.  
Plus my driveway is steep and it'd be hell to get it into the garage!

It's on Facebook near guntersville, AL if anybody else can use it.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, he will struggle to get anywhere near $1500...may even be tough at $500.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:25:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, he will struggle to get anywhere near $1500...may even be tough at $500.
View Quote

This

It's of a size that doesn't really appeal to garage tinkerers and hobby machinists and serious machinists aren't usually buying old flat-belt machines like that because they're usually quite elementary compared to newer specimens.

Heck, as early as the 40's we saw lathes with automatic lube pumps in the apron so any time the gears in the apron were turning it was pumping lube to the cross-slide and saddle ways, along with many other user friendly features. The turn of the century and early 20th century stuff is just not desirable except to collectors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top