Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2022 12:33:35 PM EDT
I’ve always ridden mountain bikes, specially trek and/or specialized hard tails.  I’ve owned a specialized rockhopper, 2 trek marlins, and a specialized pitch. But the thing is, I rarely if ever ride on anything more severe than a bumpy road. Last year I did experiment with an older specialized secteur road bike, but the skinny wheels/tires were just not forgiving enough on the occasional bumpy road that I like to ride on.  I loved the speed and efficiency of the road bike, but I love the comfort and forgiveness of a mountain bike.
So my question is, do I need a gravel bike? And if I do, what should I be looking for?
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.  Gravel bikes are fun.  There's a fairly recent thread on here about them.

Personally, I keep mine with 40mm tires on it so I can ride gravel, mild trails, road, whatever.  A great "exploring" bike, IMHO.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Specialized Diverge is what you seek
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Ibis Hakka. Bought it with the 27.5x2.1 thunderburt wheelset. Later added a carbon road wheelset and specialized tires. I'm not super fast but my times on the strava segments were near identical between both wheelsets. That was a big surprise. With the road wheels it rides like it's on rails. With the 2.1s the ride is a bit more pillowy.

If you like 'em thicc and willing to spend some money, the OPEN WI.DE is probably the best game in town.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Specialized Diverge is what you seek
View Quote

Specialized is my go to brand for bikes, so the Diverge was the first one I looked at, but I’ve also been looking at some lesser known(cheaper) brands.

Does anyone have any experience with Poseidon Bikes? Specifically the dropbar X, it seems to be everything that I want, at about 1/2 the cost of a similarly spec’d specialized.

I’ve also been looking at the diamondback offerings.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#5]
In same position OP. Still like my mountain bike but also trying to get some distance to my rides for a change of pace.

there's a 2021 diverge on CL locally for $1800. May grab it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By sorionc:
In same position OP. Still like my mountain bike but also trying to get some distance to my rides for a change of pace.

there's a 2021 diverge on CL locally for $1800. May grab it.
View Quote

There is a diverge on FB Marketplace for $1000 that I’ve been looking at, unfortunately $1000 is a little out of my “grab it” price range, I’d more than likely have to sell my other bike to fund that, and I’m not quite sure I’m ready to do that.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I basically came to the same conclusion as you.  I wanted a mountain bike, but didn't need one for the type of riding i do.  I went with a more entry level gravel bike $800ish.  It is a Salsa Journeyman Claris Flatbar with the 2.1'' tires.  I really wanted the flatbar and love the bike for my needs which is mostly rails/trails type riding.

They have a couple higher end models in that line up.  Surly makes some decent gravel/touring type bikes as well

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag for interest. Plus, "gravel" bike sounds cool.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:45:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GlutealCleft] [#9]
Originally Posted By ab_cartman:
I’ve always ridden mountain bikes, specially trek and/or specialized hard tails.  I’ve owned a specialized rockhopper, 2 trek marlins, and a specialized pitch. But the thing is, I rarely if ever ride on anything more severe than a bumpy road. Last year I did experiment with an older specialized secteur road bike, but the skinny wheels/tires were just not forgiving enough on the occasional bumpy road that I like to ride on.  I loved the speed and efficiency of the road bike, but I love the comfort and forgiveness of a mountain bike.
So my question is, do I need a gravel bike? And if I do, what should I be looking for?
View Quote

They're a ton of fun.  They'll never be as cushy as an MTB with >=2" tires, but they're generally a lot better than the more aggressive road-oriented bikes.  If you're a Specialized guy, head to a local store and see if you can take a Diverge for a ride.  

Or... look at the Salsa Warbird/Cutthroat.  They are some super sexy bikes.  In fact, you can put up to 2" tires on the Cutthroat...
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Giant TCX

Love my bike and riding….. can’t imagine some choosing to run on a treadmill when such cool bikes exist

Seems like a gravel bike is exactly what you need …. I’ve only had this one I’m not really in a position to recommend one brand over another

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Streamlight HLX makes a great headlight by the way lol
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Huge fan of gravel bikes.  I went with a Salsa Cutthroat, more in the adventure and bikepacking spectrum than pure gravel but it does it all.
I've been tempted to build an Aspero or Hakka for lighter duty but I really don't need another bike lol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:17:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#12]
Thinking about going a more "gravel" direction with the single speed commuter. Keeping an eye out for hyrdo brifters that aren't $2000

Kona Dew was gravel before "gravel" existed. 700c and discs on what I'm sure is just a mountain bike frame.

Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:23:03 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the Specialized Diverge or check out Canyon offerings.  My road bike is a Canyon Endurace.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By maslin02:
Thinking about going a more "gravel" direction with the single speed commuter. Keeping an eye out for hyrdo brifters that aren't $2000

Kona Dew was gravel before "gravel" existed. 700c and discs on what I'm sure is just a mountain bike frame.

https://i.imgur.com/XDVMkLW.jpg
View Quote

Honestly I don’t shift mine that often …. I think I could get by and make my life simpler with a single speed

Some hills would be fucking brutal though

That looks pretty sick
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Don't have many suggestions but after riding 4 or 5 gravel rides my 700x 35 tires are too small for big gravel.
If it were trails or crush and run type gravel or cinder they would be ok but definitely get some 700x40 or larger tires.
Mine beats me to death to the point that I don't want to ride on gravel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a giant revolt running 45c tires. I was going to pickup a set of 650b rims/tires but after running the 45s I don’t feel the need.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Stang1911:
I have a giant revolt running 45c tires. I was going to pickup a set of 650b rims/tires but after running the 45s I don’t feel the need.
View Quote

The Kona above is on 700x40 with some crazy NOS Shimano 29” wheels I got on eBay. The only hole in the rim is for the valve and the super sweet lightening bolts are painted on
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 8:36:30 PM EDT
[#18]
How is the riding position of a gravel bike vs say a drop bar road bike?  

I am in the same position as OP.  Replacing a flat bar road bike but want to add a little capability to go lightly off road (not true MTB trail, more like riding on a horse trail) or even actual gravel roads (a lot of them by me).

I have a separate drop bar road bike but don’t want to be in race position when doing a casual ride, or sometimes pulling the kid in a trailer.

So back to my question, what kind of position are gravel bikes, closer to a race road bike position?  Closer to the “endurance” road position?  or still more relaxed?
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I would say endurance/touring position but if you don’t slam your stem you can get into xc MTB territory.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 3:44:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: maslin02] [#20]
Originally Posted By yosturm:
How is the riding position of a gravel bike vs say a drop bar road bike?  

I am in the same position as OP.  Replacing a flat bar road bike but want to add a little capability to go lightly off road (not true MTB trail, more like riding on a horse trail) or even actual gravel roads (a lot of them by me).

I have a separate drop bar road bike but don’t want to be in race position when doing a casual ride, or sometimes pulling the kid in a trailer.

So back to my question, what kind of position are gravel bikes, closer to a race road bike position?  Closer to the “endurance” road position?  or still more relaxed?
View Quote

Take the change from "road" to "endurance" then do it again for "gravel". More stack, less reach and slacker in the front. Obviously more room for tires and bottle mounts and crap all over the place.

Many are 1x with a MTB range cassette, and 2x will be lower geared to accommodate slower speeds and technical stuff, 46/30 in front seems popular with a normal "endurance" cassette.
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/27/2022 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Just picked up my VAAST A/1 gravel bike last week!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:31:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Attachment Attached File

Gravel, bikepacking, off road touring, road touring, etc....  

With clearance for 60mm tires, it will do pretty much anything.

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:41:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJ3] [#24]
The Fezarri Shafer has modern geo and nice component spec for the price.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:18:26 PM EDT
[#25]
New Bike Day!  My fat bike is no longer my gravel bike.

Link Posted: 5/23/2023 8:41:27 PM EDT
[#26]
My gravel bike is a Triumph Tiger 800.

😊

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2023 9:51:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GreyBeardBiker:

😊

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/581885/IMG_2046_jpeg-2826938.JPG
View Quote

This in not GD, @greybearbiker
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Trek ALR5 I got a week ago.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ab_cartman:

Specialized is my go to brand for bikes, so the Diverge was the first one I looked at, but I’ve also been looking at some lesser known(cheaper) brands.

Does anyone have any experience with Poseidon Bikes? Specifically the dropbar X, it seems to be everything that I want, at about 1/2 the cost of a similarly spec’d specialized.

I’ve also been looking at the diamondback offerings.
View Quote

I love my Diverge.
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:20:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By GreyBeardBiker:

😊

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/581885/IMG_2046_jpeg-2826938.JPG
View Quote

That would certainly make the hillclimbs easy
Link Posted: 8/13/2023 8:26:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sorionc] [#31]
Come to conclusion Gravel bikes are stupid. Need Full suspension, hard tail and road bike.  My brother is on gravel.  Bitches cause he can't keep up on road.  Single track it too much for it.  

Eta. Also need, street bike. Bmx bike and dirt jumping bike.  

what I ended up with on my gravel search.  Couldn't be happier. Does fine in crushed limestone even with 25mm tires.  Would I want to ride the train tracks with it for 8 hours? Not really. But I wouldn't want a gravel bike for that either.  I'd grab my hard tail mountain bike.  Gravel is to niche. If the trails arent perfect there's better options imho.

Link Posted: 8/13/2023 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:
View Quote

I've been think about doing that.
How did you mount it?

I rarely ride at night. But I had occasion to recently and have been looking for a cheap way to add lights.

Link Posted: 8/14/2023 7:45:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Trek ALR5 I got a week ago.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/751/IMG_1339_jpeg-2827303.JPG
View Quote

Just picked one up last month in white.  Love everything about other than the tires.  They are great on road but shit on lose over hard or very hard packed gravel.  I will be looking at a set of Maxxis ramblers or something close for next spring.
Link Posted: 8/14/2023 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I had like 6 flats with those crappy ass tires and bontrager sealant in the first month. Complained to trek but nothing happened. I bought maxxis ravager tires and orange sealant . Haven’t had a flat since.
Link Posted: 8/15/2023 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#35]
My go to is muc off but they all work.   No flats for me but they are lose on grass and lose stuff so they got to go.
Link Posted: 8/24/2023 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Since this is now a thread where we post our bikes...

Cervelo Aspero GRX 815 Di2

This thing has been truly great. It felt perfect on a century ride with my road wheel set, has been great with the "gravel" wheels on some sketchy downhill single track near where this photo was taken, and climbs great.

Trails I used to consider boring on my trail/enduro bike are now a fun challenge again without the squish.

Before picking this up I used to only ride mountain bikes. Now my only regret is that I waited so long before getting a bike like this.

Link Posted: 9/5/2023 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Stryfe:

How did you mount it?

I rarely ride at night. But I had occasion to recently and have been looking for a cheap way to add lights.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Stryfe:
Originally Posted By DprvdDgnrt:

How did you mount it?

I used an Olight mount to put a Wowtac A6 (Thrunite sub brand, 18650 light) on my Rockhopper, works great for my mild riding (streets and light trails, think horse trails). It's fairly modular so just about any flashlight should work. All the lights at the bike shop sucked, I wanted to be able to use a decent 18650 light.
@Stryfe
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0761RX64G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Link Posted: 9/5/2023 11:02:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By brachiosaur:

I used an Olight mount to put a Wowtac A6 (Thrunite sub brand, 18650 light) on my Rockhopper, works great for my mild riding (streets and light trails, think horse trails). It's fairly modular so just about any flashlight should work. All the lights at the bike shop sucked, I wanted to be able to use a decent 18650 light.
@Stryfe
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0761RX64G?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
View Quote

Awesome, thank you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:13:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Fenix makes a bike mounted handheald flashlight holder and a dedicated bike headlight.
I have both and use them all the time and will use them on my ride home tonight.
I also use their tail lights and a clip on(just make sure to secure it with a small zip tie).
On my rides I use a tail light on the seat post, one on my helmet and one on my backpack.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Gravel bikes are the skinny jeans of the bike world .

But then again I’m just a grumpy old school mtn biker.  

At least you’re not clogging up my trails.
Link Posted: 9/12/2023 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
Gravel bikes are the skinny jeans of the bike world .

But then again I'm just a grumpy old school mtn biker.  

At least you're not clogging up my trails.
View Quote

You'd be amazed where guys ride these things. I've seen people on gravel bikes at the summit of singletrack I hit with a 150mm travel bike. Also saw a guy riding a unicycle up there once

That's what makes gravel bikes cool. Slightly more plush than a pure road bike without losing speed that your average Joe would notice or care about. But still can hit a bit of rough stuff too.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#42]
An alternative to a gravel bike is to go with an XC MTB.  It will provide some suspension compliance at the expense of greater weight versus a gravel bike.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 7:44:58 AM EDT
[#43]
As a roadie, I have a two token gravel bikes.  One actually is a CX, a Giant TCX advanced.  It's fast, running 38's.  I built a Salsa Stromchaser from the frame up.  It uses a wider crank, more along the lines of a MTB crankset.  None of my shimano cranks would fit it, becasue I simply didn't ready the specs.  So, I run a Raceface Cinch crankset.  Bike is very comforable, and I can stay on it all day.  Same geometry as the warbird.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Never heard of a "gravel bike" till a few months ago. Tonight's ride will be on my Specialized Crux with 38c's.
Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
Never heard of a "gravel bike" till a few months ago. Tonight's ride will be on my Specialized Crux with 38c's.
View Quote
Cool ride. Go big or go home

Link Posted: 10/13/2023 11:20:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greybear] [#46]
I have had two different Salsa Fargos over the last 7 years.  I put the biggest tire I can fit under the frame. I biked to Wonder Lake in Denali Park with it and it was awesome.  My current setup is 29 inch Schwalbe Big Apples.  They are rated at 2.375" wide but grow to 2.58 on 35mm wheels.  Gives a cush ride with low rolling resistance for commuting.  I can put 2.8's on for dirtier work.  I recently added a Wren Perserverance drop bar with integrated aero bar.  So glad I did for longer rides.
Link Posted: 10/14/2023 9:51:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Long time MTB'r here. I am at the point where I feel the need to get a gravel bike. Mostly for dual duty. 40% gravel and 60% road. Missed a crazy good deal on an electric AXS Diverge, now I am looking at a SL6 Checkmate. Should replace my aged road bike and give me some options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top