Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/25/2020 9:56:58 AM EDT
Trying to tune up the kids bikes and was wondering about this....they don’t really ride in the rain and thought it might keep from collecting dust / dirt.....
Yes / no / what to use....?
Thanks...!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:58:07 AM EDT
[#1]
finish line dry teflon for the win.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Finish Line DRY Teflon Bicycle Chain Lube

ETA:  Beat like a cyclist wiping out feet from the finish line while raising his arms in a premature victory V.

I ride on crushed limestone a lot, it DOES pick up dust in that environment.  Your kid’s bikes should be fine, though.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I mean, whats wrong with dunking it in your fav motor oil? Thats what we did when i was a kid...

Its a friggin bike chain.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:11:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Walmart should sell DuPont Chain Saver(bright yellow can).  Seems to be a favorite in the motorcycle world.  Seemed to work good on the chain of my Kawasaki.  Don’t see why it wouldn’t work just as well on a bike chain.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I mean, whats wrong with dunking it in your fav motor oil? Thats what we did when i was a kid...

Its a friggin bike chain.
View Quote

If one rides on a dusty trail, motor oil will attract the max amount of dust and clog the chain, cause wear on chain rings and other parts of a bike, premature wear can be bad. Most often times those components cost quite a bit of money. Dry lubes don't attract nearly as much dust.

Also the Teflon dry lube, soak pellets from a pellet rifle in it and allow to dry. Super anti-friction lube I got 200fps more in a PCP compared to uncoated pellets.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#7]
We always used Triflow back in the day(80's).

On my DS bike/dirt bike(motorcycles) I finally settled on WD40, it doesn't seem to make much difference in chain life.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:28:44 AM EDT
[#8]
The only good use for Rem Oil.

White Lightning doesn’t do well in the wet and you need real oil to protect from rust.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:31:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I just use the same crap I spray on my garage door parts

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:32:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I use Pedros Ice Wax
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Pedros Ice Wax
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:41:11 AM EDT
[#12]
When I was heavily into road biking back in the late 80's, we used paraffin wax.  

De-grease the chain, heat the wax on the stove in an old coffee can, dunk chain, hang to dry, and then re-install.   Collected very little grit.  

Wax cools and hardens in the can.   Lb of wax lasts forever and will your chain 30+ times.  If you heat the chain in the oven, and dunk it hot, you get a super thin layer of protection/lube.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
We always used Triflow back in the day(80's).

On my DS bike/dirt bike(motorcycles) I finally settled on WD40, it doesn't seem to make much difference in chain life.
View Quote

Back in the day, Dirt Bike magazine did a chain lube test and WD-40 ran hotter than a new chain with nothing sprayed on it. WD-40 has as it's main component: solvent. Very little lubrication. Pretty much everything was better than WD-40.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Ask 10 cyclists about chain lube and you will get 27 answers!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#15]
I've always just used Prolink

Amazon link ... here
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#16]
I would not use graphite, there are 87 dozen options in chain lubes and 87 million opinions on them.

The already-mentioned Dupont chain saver is a dry-ish wax type lube which would probably be a good option. Boeshield would be good if you had a month to allow it to dry. Any farm supply store or most auto stores will have some brand of chain lube... which are generally made to apply in a kind of spray foam so that it applies better to the chain, and they generally dry to some kind of a grease or wax consistency so that they don't sling off the chain or pick up too much gunk. An oil will work to lube the chain, but oil will sling off the chain while in use.  

For a bicycle chain I would probably apply it, let it work its way into the chain, and then later wipe it down with a paper towel or something to get rid of any excess.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Walmart should sell DuPont Chain Saver(bright yellow can).  Seems to be a favorite in the motorcycle world.  Seemed to work good on the chain of my Kawasaki.  Don’t see why it wouldn’t work just as well on a bike chain.
View Quote

I have motorcycle chain oil (Kal-Gard) for o-ring chains, and would cut off my left nut and eat it raw before putting it on a bicycle chain.

Bicycle chains get dry lubes or dry waxes, like Pedro's.

And as far as putting motor oil on a bicycle chain, yeah, go ahead and do that on your kid's K-Mart Krap bike, because it won't matter.

Back in the 60's, we put sewing machine oil on bicycle chains. Schwinn even sold sewing machine oil in little red cans labeled "Chain Oil". But we've come a long way since then.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You might try the White Lightning stuff.  It works pretty well.
View Quote

WL is the absolute worst chain lube I've ever come across in over 25 years as a bicycle mechanic. Doesn't last, chunks of it get plastered in between cogs and chainrings. It's harder to clean than just about anything else. The ONLY thing it's good for is lubricating Speedplay cleats. I'd not use any lube before I'd use WL. I think dipping chains in was is the same as using WL. You can use just about anything for chain lube...bicycle specific products, motor oil & mineral spirits, hell, olive oil works ok. The most important part of the process is wiping as much of the excess lube off the chain as you can after applying it. It only needs to be inside the rollers so the roller/pin interface is lubricated. Anywhere else and it's just collecting dirt and grit. Chains are obviously very simple and just about any oil is going to work...it's how you apply it that makes the biggest difference.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#19]
As a kid we used whatever we found, if anything. I seem to remember WD40 or 3 in 1.

Most kids are absolutely clueless about changing a tube or a simple brake adjustment. I can guarantee most kids bike chains aren't ever oiled.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Oil in my dad's squirt can always worked good when we were kids. My kids use the oil in my squirt can. Might be SAE 30 or it might be jet engine oil (23699) depending on my mood. Kid's bike chains don't care.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:48:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:51:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I wipe the kids’ chains down with bar&chain oil.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:54:06 PM EDT
[#23]
lube your chains with the entrails of your enemies
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:55:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Dry lube for dry conditions, wet lube for wet conditions. Never apply lube to a dirty chain of you want it to last.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I have motorcycle chain oil (Kal-Gard) for o-ring chains, and would cut off my left nut and eat it raw before putting it on a bicycle chain.

And as far as putting motor oil on a bicycle chain, yeah, go ahead and do that on your kid's K-Mart Krap bike, because it won't matter.

Back in the 60's, we put sewing machine oil on bicycle chains. Schwinn even sold sewing machine oil in little red cans labeled "Chain Oil". But we've come a long way since then.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Interesting. What’s the reasoning for running a dry lube on a bike chain?

If I remember correctly, chain saver dried and wasn’t oily.  Had some sort of properties to keep dirt and stuff from sticking to it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:58:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If one rides on a dusty trail, motor oil will attract the max amount of dust and clog the chain, cause wear on chain rings and other parts of a bike, premature wear can be bad. Most often times those components cost quite a bit of money. Dry lubes don't attract nearly as much dust.

Also the Teflon dry lube, soak pellets from a pellet rifle in it and allow to dry. Super anti-friction lube I got 200fps more in a PCP compared to uncoated pellets.
View Quote

You could rebottle that stuff and mark up the price 10X for gun show sales
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Amazon link ... here
View Quote

That's what I use. It's humid as hell here and I ride in the rain so dry lube is out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:04:25 PM EDT
[#28]
I like “Squirt” dry chain lube.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Here's what you need:

Just $150 for 140ml
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was dry lube guy until I found out it was nearly worthless protecting against corrosion from road salt and de-icer.

BF CLP has been my go to for bike components and chains ever since.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:25:33 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Here's what you need:
https://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb18913305/p5pb18913305.jpg
Just $150 for 140ml
View Quote

Snake oil does actually exist.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:44:47 AM EDT
[#32]
I use Honda chain lube on my motorbikes and all my agriculture equipment with slow moving chains.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#33]
I use the motorcycle chain waxes usually.  I have pretty much stopped riding off road chain driven quads, but when I did chain service was after every ride.  Bike chains don't see the same mud and crud so they go a lot longer.  They are usually a lot simpler as well.  Chain waxes don't fling off and make a mess like most oils will, yet clean easier than tacky oils.  That's a big reason I switched.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:05:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

WL is the absolute worst chain lube I've ever come across in over 25 years as a bicycle mechanic. Doesn't last, chunks of it get plastered in between cogs and chainrings. It's harder to clean than just about anything else. The ONLY thing it's good for is lubricating Speedplay cleats. I'd not use any lube before I'd use WL. I think dipping chains in was is the same as using WL. You can use just about anything for chain lube...bicycle specific products, motor oil & mineral spirits, hell, olive oil works ok. The most important part of the process is wiping as much of the excess lube off the chain as you can after applying it. It only needs to be inside the rollers so the roller/pin interface is lubricated. Anywhere else and it's just collecting dirt and grit. Chains are obviously very simple and just about any oil is going to work...it's how you apply it that makes the biggest difference.
View Quote

38 yr bike mechanic here. CXwrench has got it right. Apply whatever lube you choose, run it through an old rag (no, not your ex...) to remove the dirty excess lube. Let the lube soak in to the rollers for a bit, and then run the chain through a rag again to wipe off the excess lube. Wipe the chain more often than you lube. Customers LOVE to lube their chains, but never want to touch the "dirty parts, so they just drip lube all over the dirty chain, which attracts more dirt, etc...
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:07:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Go in dry.

If it was good enough for conceiving them, it's good enough for their damn bikes.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 7:20:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When I was heavily into road biking back in the late 80's, we used paraffin wax.  

De-grease the chain, heat the wax on the stove in an old coffee can, dunk chain, hang to dry, and then re-install.   Collected very little grit.  

Wax cools and hardens in the can.   Lb of wax lasts forever and will your chain 30+ times.  If you heat the chain in the oven, and dunk it hot, you get a super thin layer of protection/lube.
View Quote

I just broke down my bike yesterday evening, and thought about this thread again.

Cleaned the current chain and a spare in diesel, cleared the diesel out with brake clean.

I did your paraffin wax method on one, and used the Finish Line Teflon Dry Lube on the other one that I posted a link to earlier.

We’ll see how it goes.

Looking on line it seems people add some paraffin oil (basically lamp oil) and sometimes a little powdered 1-3micron PTFE to the mix also.  The oil gives it a creamier consistency and supposedly quiets it up a bit.  I’ll try that next time.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:05:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Under $5
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Any opinions or experience using Hornady One Shot to clean and dry lube bike chains? I already have it around for other uses.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#39]

That will collect dirt and dust like flypaper.  

This stuff works well and doesn't attract dirt, cheap also.  Their penetrating oil works as well as Kroll and is much cheaper.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:22:13 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

At least I actually DO have Speedplay cleats.  

I haven't used WL in a few years, but I thought it works pretty well back when I used it. I guess it's not that good after all.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At least I actually DO have Speedplay cleats.  

I haven't used WL in a few years, but I thought it works pretty well back when I used it. I guess it's not that good after all.  
We're watching you.

Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:59:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I use Pedros Ice Wax
View Quote

Been using this for over a decade, its always been good.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 9:01:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:18:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:21:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I use, but I'm looking for alternatives because of the racist connotations.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:24:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Dry lube for dry conditions, wet lube for wet conditions. Never apply lube to a dirty chain of you want it to last.
View Quote

In my experience, this is true.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:24:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Amazon link ... here
View Quote

That's my favorite by far. All the wax and teflon stuff get nasty and gummy.
Link Posted: 6/26/2020 8:48:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's what I use, but I'm looking for alternatives because of the racist connotations.

Pedro's it is then, thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:22:08 AM EDT
[#49]
I’ve been using purple extreme. Is it junk?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:33:53 AM EDT
[#50]
I use Tri-flow

Motorcycle chains get PJ-1

It is not a good idea to use motorcycle chain lube on a bike chain unless you like cleaning a lot of goo and having your chain do wierd things while passing through your derailleurs.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top