Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 5:17:35 PM EDT
I'm doing basic things right now for work with Canva. I'm wanting to start designing tshirts. Canva leaves a lot to he desired. Should I upgrade to Corel Draw or Photoshop?

Wanting to get a tablet or chromebook to do this work on. I think a tablet would be easier for the fact I can draw with a stylus directly on the screen.

Any experience or help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I do screenprint and embroidery designs for my job, and I primarily do vector art in Adobe Illustrator, and work on a Mac Mini at home and an old Mac tower at work, and use a Wacom tablet and stylus/mouse to draw with.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:08:52 AM EDT
[#2]
@bigbryce31186

The 1st step is to ask your T shirt producer what type of files they prefer.

There are two types of digital art

Vector and Raster

Photoshop and other image manipulation software creates raster art, AKA pixels.
Pixel art can only be scaled up to its original created resolution but can be scaled to smaller sized art without any degradation. Most T shirt companies will take raster art like .jpg, .tif, .PNG and retrace them to create vector art. This sometimes costs extra money for "pre press" work.

Gimp is a free image tool that is as good as Photoshop. It's as if you took PS and all of it's functions and shook them up. Learning Gimp is frustrating if you already know Photoshop.

As for Vector art, Illustrator is the industry standard. It saves vector art as EPS, Ai, SVG files
Vector art is points. you can scale them infinitely without any art degradation. InkScape is a down and dirty version of illustrator and it's free. May be mac only.

If you are starting from scratch learning software, again, talk to the production people. Call CustomInk.com and see what they say. Raster art image quality is often measured in PDI or PPI. Dots/Pixels per inch. You can ask what DPI files they need at 100% size or ask if they prefer vector files
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 4:24:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@bigbryce31186

The 1st step is to ask your T shirt producer what type of files they prefer.

There are two types of digital art

Vector and Raster

Photoshop and other image manipulation software creates raster art, AKA pixels.
Pixel art can only be scaled up to its original created resolution but can be scaled to smaller sized art without any degradation. Most T shirt companies will take raster art like .jpg, .tif, .PNG and retrace them to create vector art. This sometimes costs extra money for "pre press" work.

Gimp is a free image tool that is as good as Photoshop. It's as if you took PS and all of it's functions and shook them up. Learning Gimp is frustrating if you already know Photoshop.

As for Vector art, Illustrator is the industry standard. It saves vector art as EPS, Ai, SVG files
Vector art is points. you can scale them infinitely without any art degradation. InkScape is a down and dirty version of illustrator and it's free. May be mac only.

If you are starting from scratch learning software, again, talk to the production people. Call CustomInk.com and see what they say. Raster art image quality is often measured in PDI or PPI. Dots/Pixels per inch. You can ask what DPI files they need at 100% size or ask if they prefer vector files
View Quote
Thanks for the advice. From what I've researched most places like Vector files. I'll look into Gimp as well. Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 7:05:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Friend is a graphic designer and uses a surface pro.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:26:21 PM EDT
[#5]
You can get chrome books that will allow the use of stylus. I would make sure to get one that can run linux apps so you can then have not only Android apps, but also Linux apps to use for designing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top