Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/23/2018 11:57:29 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:13:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So, I jacked up the countertop in my kitchen. I was supergluing something and the glue got under the piece, and glued the plastic to the countertop. When I pulled it up, it brought some of the granite with it. So now I have a spot (call it quarter-sized) of rough, unpolished granite exposed. Obviously I need to seal this somehow.

I’m absolutely furious with myself for this and I need a plan to fix it. Any ideas?
View Quote
Do you have any pics? Polishing granite isnt that bad but you wouldnt want to have to purchase all the "industry standard" equipment to do such a small spot.  When I was a kid I polished granite using wet/dry automotive sandpaper. It is a very long process to do it that way but I would spend hours and sand up to 3-4000 grit paper.  Then you can use a polishing compound like tin oxide for the final polish. (You can give that a shot on a separate piece before you atempt it on the counter itself)

They may have some sort of repair kit in the countertop industry (you should contact a supplier/installation company) but I'm sure they do just as I would originally.

If you just want it sealed and to possibly blend in a little use some concrete sealer on the spot.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 2:16:34 PM EDT
[#4]
A granite shop can put some resin in it and polish it back out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I have made this repair 1000 times over the years, really common with some granite. Although, I will say this is the first time I have heard someone peeling a chunk out rather than breaking it with another object.  

For minor spalling like that in a busy color like you use CA Glue. Other super glues may work I use what's linked below. You want it flowable not thick and goopy like most super glues are.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01HFKZPDE/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1VAOWZNDCV6C6

Sorry I don't know how to hot link but this is what you want. The red original should be fine may need to go to the green "super t" if it's deeper than the pics show.

Fill the spalling with the glue, spray the accelerant on in a couple quick shots. When you see it bubbling you know it's working. Let it sit for 30 seconds and touch it to make sure it's hardened. Be careful checking, it is sticky and if your not paying attention your finger will stick.

Use a NEW AND SHARP razorblade to scrape across the surface of your granite. Like how you see someone cleaning glass. You're scraping not cutting!!!

You may have to repeat the process a few times to get it to fill all the way. If it's deeper it will take lots of layers. So fill a little, use the accelerant, fill more until it's full and then scrape.

If you end up with scratch marks on the glue put some acetone on a rag and wipe the surface, that should take care of the scratches. If they are stubborn order some 3m Trizact pads and use water. Keep the rubbing localized to your repair area! you don't want a dull finish on your granite!!! If you use new blades you shouldn't have any trouble.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Post some after pictures if you don't mind. You'll be $180 or so ahead if you do it yourself, I would charge closer to 200 to fix it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot of people don't know, but there is a super glue de-bonder.

If you ever accidentally glue something again, use that instead of prying.

https://www.parts-express.com/super-glue-cyanoacrylate-debonder-remover-1-oz--340-640

It's also available at Hobby Town if one is near you.
Link Posted: 12/6/2018 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Acetone dissolves super glue (cyano-acrylate).
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 3:10:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 4:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top