BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2020 2:03:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
This is my grail guitar. A Gibson ES Artist. I owned one years ago and sold it when money was tight. Now the vintage prices are just ridiculous Maybe someday I'll find one at a good price and have the spare cash to buy it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
An original Gibson Les Paul Custom in Silverburst is my grail guitar.

My friends dad has one and I not so jokingly tell him to leave it to me in his will because he refuses to sell it.

I may just get this Adam Jones Signature guitar if Gibson ever releases it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 9:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see ever spending over $1k on a guitar again, so I'll likely get one of these Zelinsky Private Label Dellaterra guitars in the future...under $1k..

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Right now would be a Gibson Explorer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:13:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Jimmy Page refuses to give me his #1, so a sunburst 59 Reissue with Throbak SLE101+ MXV pickups will have to do.  Also have an RS vintage wiring kit and 1950s Patent pending Grovers

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
ESP MX-250.  Some day

www.GuitarsCollector.com - [2000] ESP MX-250 Explorer Black James Hetfield Metallica Guitar
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Literally this one guitar

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Still trying to figure out what mine is.  I'm not sure they make what I want.  I THINK it would be a jazzmaster without all the hand cutting switches and a pup switch that's bottom rear.  Or a strat with a neck single coil and a bridge humbucker with nothing in the middle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is my current grail guitar

Attachment Attached File

After it was signed

here is before

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pretty close to what’s hanging on my wall now:
Attachment Attached File

1956 All Gold Refin

According to the guy who sold it to me 20 years ago it’s a factory job, but I have serious doubts. The hardware is all kinds of wrong, but it’s all late ‘60s-early ‘70s Gibson or OEM. The fretboard is a replacement, too - dots and ebony?!

Consensus from some pretty knowledgeable people has it as a ‘56, but I need to have Gruhn or some other heavy hitter make a definitive authentication.

The real question is: What to do afterward? My “grail” guitar is a PAF-equipped LP. So, do I go for the 56/58 conversion and have it routed for PAFs, or just restore it to its original P90 Goldtop splendor and enjoy it for what it is?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:30:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't really have a "grail guitar", per se, but I wouldn't mind having a nice ES-175.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:56:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#14]
My grail guitar would be a Gretsch Corvette to replace the one I used to have.
I miss that old axe.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 12:38:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Fender artist custom shop Merle Haggard. Otherwise I'll be good with an American in the $1000-$2000 price range for anything I'll do. If I managed one I'd play it but probably be something that got dispplayed a lot. A little lighter than standard with hollow outriggers on each side with a cap on it.

Link Posted: 6/7/2020 10:44:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fender artist custom shop Merle Haggard. Otherwise I'll be good with an American in the $1000-$2000 price range for anything I'll do. If I managed one I'd play it but probably be something that got dispplayed a lot. A little lighter than standard with hollow outriggers on each side with a cap on it.

http://cdns3.gear4music.com/media/16/167948/1200/preview.jpg
View Quote

I've always wanted to play one of those.  Aren't they neck thru?

Mine would probably be a Martin M36. They have the three piece back like a D35.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I've always wanted a Gibson Explorer. It's kind of funny, because I've spent thousands on other guitars, but never had an Explorer. One of these days, I guess?? As far as grail guitars go, to grab an original 1976 model would be ideal!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like Trigger. Still can’t figure out how the Lone Ranger rode it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#20]
1965-66 Emerald green Guild Starfire IV like the one that was stolen from me a very long time ago.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

...but apparently someone did ride 'er and put 'er away broke...
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 12:53:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've always wanted a Gibson Explorer. It's kind of funny, because I've spent thousands on other guitars, but never had an Explorer. One of these days, I guess?? As far as grail guitars go, to grab an original 1976 model would be ideal!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/15323/gibson-explorer-76-reissue-66744_jpg-1450894.JPG
View Quote

I've always wanted a Gibson Explorer, too. But it's one of those guitars I never really got around to buying. The one I want was when they made it in white with the ebony fingerboard (per below) but they quit making that layout quite some time back. Lately it's only been black, cherry, or the natural. They just came out with white again but it's a rosewood fingerboard and cost $2k. I don't want one that bad.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 1:11:57 PM EDT
[#24]
I am about to pull the trigger on mine. It may not be the highest end guitar, but within reason, it is the one I have been wanting. I love the wide nut on Seagulls for fingerpicking, and this is their top of the line.

Link Posted: 7/20/2020 2:32:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
ESP MX-250.  Some day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzZZwiGlb4U
View Quote

This would be mine as well. Although I don't think I'm anywhere even close to good enough to justify one, nor have the finances to procure one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I am about to pull the trigger on mine. It may not be the highest end guitar, but within reason, it is the one I have been wanting. I love the wide nut on Seagulls for fingerpicking, and this is their top of the line.
https://firststreetmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_1939-scaled.jpg

View Quote

What's the nut width on that?
I got my Washburn Revival because it has a 48mm nut. Puts it in the classical guitar width range.
Link Posted: 7/24/2020 4:22:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I got my Washburn Revival because it has a 48mm nut. Puts it in the classical guitar width range.
View Quote
1.72" (43.6 mm). How do you like the 48 mm? I have never tried a steel string quite that wide. Seagull makes the Pepino D'Agostino signature. It is right around the width of your Washburn.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/28/2020 11:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 10:12:42 AM EDT
[#30]
The only, and i mean only Gibson I want; the 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard I pawned years ago when I was broke. I sold my Gibsons after their new CEO started getting lawsuit happy, but I kept my Epiphone Les Paul Custom for sentimental reasons, which is also why I want the '82 back.
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
I pulled the trigger on this one. It is a Seagull Artist Series Cedar. It is one step down from their highest end, but I think I will like this one better. I am going to have a hard time waiting on this to get here. This is the one I have always been wanting.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:09:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/1/2020 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Fender JagStang, specifically this color combo..

Just always been a big Nirvana fan.

Can't really play much more than power chords.

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:32:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I had an all black '79 Strat that I sold for $500 because I had bills and a crazy red headed wife that charged like a drunken sailor.

Sigh

Link Posted: 10/6/2020 7:53:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Including the stuff in the closet I’m set.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered my current grail today:  Solar A1.7BD Artist Limited!  Very excited about the Evertune brige.  It will also be my first guitar with locking tuners.  SO I'll have a bit of a learning curve on setting it up, but can't wait!

That will bring my stable up to 5: Strat built into a Gilmour Tribute, Schecter Demon 7, LTD MH-401BFM Baritone, and a LTD F155DX 5 string bass.

I also have my holy grail amp: Mesa dual rectifier.  Just put in a new set of tubes this past weekend.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
1.72" (43.6 mm). How do you like the 48 mm? I have never tried a steel string quite that wide. Seagull makes the Pepino D'Agostino signature. It is right around the width of your Washburn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I apologize for not seeing this.
I like it. The Washburn has an odd neck profile - almost a soft vee shape instead of the usual u or c shape.
But it plays nicely, I have fat fingers and tend to muff strings a lot on narrower width necks.
Seagulls are really nice... I have its cousin, a LaPatrie Presentation Classical which I play daily.
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I pulled the trigger on this one. It is a Seagull Artist Series Cedar. It is one step down from their highest end, but I think I will like this one better. I am going to have a hard time waiting on this to get here. This is the one I have always been wanting.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326574/Seagull_jpg-1528582.JPG

View Quote

Very nice.
Congratulations!
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

The Lone Ranger rode Silver. Roy Rogers rode Trigger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#41]
My grail guitar is a left handed Fender Bass VI.  (Robert Smith is my guitar hero)

Ive seen vintage ones in the $4-6k range and a new one from the custom shop would be more because it has to be master built to get a lefty.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 6:42:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My grail guitar is a left handed Fender Bass VI.  (Robert Smith is my guitar hero)

Ive seen vintage ones in the $4-6k range and a new one from the custom shop would be more because it has to be master built to get a lefty.
View Quote

The Schecter Robert Smith Ultra Cure is only $1,330 .  Ive heard that if you call them, they sometimes have lefty models not shown on their website..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/22/2020 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The Schecter Robert Smith Ultra Cure is only $1,330 .  Ive heard that if you call them, they sometimes have lefty models not shown on their website..

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/300247/ROBERT_SMITH_ULTRACURE_R_BURST_364_TILT_-1647163.JPG
View Quote

I was lucky enough to snag a Schecter Hellcat VI lefty just when they were discontinued a few years ago.  I had emailed Schecter about lefty Ultra Cure and Ultra Cure VI.  It was a hard no.  I even tweeted at RS about lefty's a few times.  Crickets.   Schecter builds a decent guitar but it's not a "Fender".  Thanks thou!

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 4:44:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Used to have a USA made Hamer double cut junior type in the late 80s, early 90s that was friggen awesome. I want that one back.

Looked a lot like this one.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#45]
I honestly don't have a "grail" guitar at the moment....

I used to really want a Washburn N4 (Nuno Bettencourt is probably my favorite guitarist). I had an N2 once and that kinda shattered that for me. I still love the style of that axe, but I don't like the Lawrence L500 bridge pickup, and the Floyd Rose system is great, but a pain in the ass. The body is also kinda tiny. It really did engender my preference for reverse headstocks.

Now I'm getting back into playing, I don't really have any "grails" that I drool over. The few that I actually do want are financially feasible. There's a Harley Benton telecaster clone I really want, which is only $400 new. Then there's the PRS SE Hollowbody II Piezo, which would be around $1600. That's not super expensive to me, though I can't really just drop that amount of coin anytime I want.

Eventually, I want to get a really nice acoustic. Martin is nice, of course, but they do more dreadnaught style, but I favor the concert style body. Maybe a Taylor? Maybe Furch? When I get around to purchasing a nice acoustic, I may be looking at the $1500-2500 range.

Link Posted: 10/22/2020 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#46]
When I was a kid, I saw a Steinberger M series in a music store. It was an elegant, honey-colored wood, instead of the "usual" black finish.

I later found out it was an -even then- rare koa wood one from their custom shop.

They were expensive and weird way back when, and now are assumedly even harder to find. There's one on Reverb for $8000, so it's obtainable, but... can't bring myself to spend that much. (I did buy one of the MusicYo Spirits that look just like the "real" ones when Gibson bought the company, so maybe that's good enough. It plays really well and has a close-enough vibe.)

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#47]

I didn't know C'thullu was signing guitars.  
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Apparently he spurred it a lot by the bridge ....
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The only, and i mean only Gibson I want; the 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard I pawned years ago when I was broke. I sold my Gibsons after their new CEO started getting lawsuit happy, but I kept my Epiphone Les Paul Custom for sentimental reasons, which is also why I want the '82 back.
View Quote

I think you are going to feel silly when they get rid of that guy and hire a new CEO.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#50]

Help me out here. Is that  Michael Schenker signature model?  Fernandes?  Is that MS autograph???
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top