Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2020 10:55:24 PM EDT
Parable of the Ten Virgins from study sources of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints...

Link

Link

Lots and lots of focus in our communities right now on being “prepared.”

An important focus of The Church. Preparedness in all things is an important tenet in the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ.

But being spiritually prepared  in the closing Latter-Days and having our faith and spiritual oil full in our lamps is even more important.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#1]
In the parable, 5 of the virgins were rejected.  They were virgins and shut out (i.e. not rejected based on whoredom). They were lacking something else than being virgins.  The parable comes in the midst of the kingdom parables (Matthew 24-25) and they are all about being rejected despite having a relationship with the person doing the rejecting.
  • The first parable has a servant that mistreats his fellow servants. He is a servant but is rejected.
  • The second parable has virgins who lack the oil being thrown out. They are virgins, yet still rejected.
  • The third parable has an unprofitable servant being thrown out. He is a servant, and knows his master well but is thrown out.

These parables are about people that are in relationship to the master yet being rejected. These are not strangers being rejected. These are "holy crap this could be me" sorts of parables to those who call themselves Christians.

And the awesome thing about parables is that you can drop yourself into them take something personally applicable away after doing so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:58:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These are not strangers being rejected. These are "holy crap this could be me" sorts of parables to those who call themselves Christians.
View Quote
I appreciate your input, and I believe you are correct.

These are folks who otherwise wanted to be ready for the coming of the Lord. But weren't ready.

Ten Virgins = otherwise faithful members of The Church.

Bridegroom the Ten Virgins are waiting for = The Lord.

Vessels = store extra oil. The oil is faith, testimony, belief.

Lamp = light we believers carry wherever we go.

Oil = faith, belief, testimony, followership.

These are folks who were otherwise followers of The Lord, and who otherwise wanted to be ready for His coming. These folks are us.

I guess my point is... What are we doing spiritually to ensure our spiritual oil in our lamps is full...? That is my thinking on this right now.
Link Posted: 3/18/2020 4:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope. That parable comes from Song of Solomon 3 and 5 - and very well may have been told on the day during Passover week when SoS is sung. It isn't about Christians, but those Jews who missed the Messiah because they didn't believe.

The Holy Spirit is the oil; and that, which is also the new birth, is given when one believes per Ephesians 1:13 and is the guarantee of our redemption
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nope. That parable comes from Song of Solomon 3 and 5 - and very well may have been told on the day during Passover week when SoS is sung. It isn't about Christians, but those Jews who missed the Messiah because they didn't believe.

The Holy Spirit is the oil; and that, which is also the new birth, is given when one believes per Ephesians 1:13 and is the guarantee of our redemption

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Interesting perspective. I believe the parable is to help otherwise true believers prepare for Christs 2nd Coming.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints perspective on The Parable of the Ten Virgins:

In this parable, the Savior taught us how to prepare for His Second Coming.

Link

This not-LDS website states the parable is about the Lords Second Coming:

"Before we get to the parable, we would do well to remind ourselves of the context. In response to the disciples’ request to know what sign would signal our Lord’s coming and the end of the age (Matthew 24:3), Jesus spoke to them about the last days. He made it clear that the end would not come immediately, but only after considerable time and troubles (Matthew 24:4-31)." Link

Here is another not-LDS website that makes the same claim:

"WAITING FOR CHRIST’S RETURN Parable of the Ten Virgins Matthew 25:1-13 Jesus is now giving another of the several warnings that illustrate that the exact time of His second coming will not be known in advance...but this time, He is specifically giving a warning to the Church...to people who profess to be Christians." Link
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:26:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Problem is, the partial rapture theory is contradicted in other passages. This explains that an how it relates to Matthew 25:

Since this parable deals with the future nation of Israel (likely the current nation of Israel that exists today), this is not a passage that comes into play concerning the rapture. This means that the parable of the ten virgins does not support the notion of a partial rapture position, which has been argued from this, as well as other passages (Matthew 24:40-51; Mark 13:33-37; Luke 20:34-36; 21:36; Philippians 3:10-12; 1 Thessalonians 5:6; 2 Timothy 4:8; Titus 2:13; Hebrews 9:24-28; Revelation 3:3, 10; 12:1-6). This view teaches that the rapture occurs before the tribulation, but only "spiritual" Christians will be taken, while other Christians will remain through the tribulation. They also believe that multiple raptures will occur throughout the seven-year tribulation period. This view is thought to have been developed by Robert Govett in the mid-nineteenth century in England, and held mainly by British advocates such as J. A. Seiss, G. H. Lang and G. H. Pember. 4
Since this passage, by and large, is not thought to relate to the rapture by pretribulationists because it contextually refers to Israel, it is even harder to make a case for a partial rapture. "We shrink from the partial rapture idea because other passages seem plainly to suggest that every member of the body of Christ will be caught up (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17; 1 Corinthians 15:51-58, etc.)," notes Randolph Yeager. "Partial rapture would seem to imply rupture in the Body of Christ." 5 Quite frankly, the same grace that saves each believer is the grace that will take one out at the rapture. One does not have qualify through their own works or reach a certain level of sanctification to be taken at the rapture. Qualification for being taken in the rapture is not a reward for faithfulness, but like salvation itself is a free gift. One's name is added to "the rapture manifest" when their name is added to the roll the moment one trusts Christ as his Savior. Even if a believer does not believe in the pretribulational rapture, they will be taken anyway if they are indeed a believer. I am sure some will be taken by surprise, and perhaps some kicking and screaming but they will be taken nevertheless.

Partial rapturists say that this parable pictures the part of the church that is watching and waiting for the Lord's return as the five wise virgins who had oil and the carnal church who is left behind as the five foolish virgins. This they believe supports the notion of the partial rapture theory.

There are major problems with anyone's attempt to apply this parable to the church to begin with, since Israel is in view. Further, the imagery does not match up with what should be if this were actually teaching a partial rapture doctrine. The imagery used in the parable of the ten virgins does not comport with that used of the church in other New Testament passages. "The passage itself uses none of the characteristic terms relating to the church, such as bride, body, or the expression in Christ," 6 notes John Walvoord. Instead we see that the ten virgins are merely bridesmaids who would be attending at a wedding and not brides themselves. Were this portraying in some way the church, then these virgins would need to be portrayed as brides who were waiting upon their bridegroom, which would be Christ. This is not what is found in the passage. Dr. Walvoord further explains in the following:

"If watchfulness is necessary for worthiness, as partial rapturists characteristically argue, then none of the ten virgins qualify for "they all became drowsy and fell asleep." The command to "watch" in Matthew 25:13 has, then, the specific meaning of being prepared with oilbeing genuinely regenerated and indwelt by the Spirit rather than having unusual spirituality. The clear teaching is that "watching" is not enough. This passage will serve to refute the partial rapturists instead of sustaining their viewpoint. Only by the power and presence of the Holy Spirit can one be qualified for entrance into the wedding feast, but all the wise virgins enter the feast."
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:21:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Problem is, the partial rapture theory is contradicted in other passages.

View Quote

The Church does not teach a, "partial rapture theory."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches that the true followers of Christ will remain on the earth during the tribulation period.

We do not believe members of The Church will be spared in the tribulation period. We will endure many trials pre-ceding the 2nd Coming of Christ. I believe we are currently in this latter-day period.

The separation of the righteous and the wicked, in the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, will take place at the 2nd Coming of Christ...

D+C 63
53 These things are the things that ye must look for; and, speaking after the manner of the Lord, they are now anigh at hand, and in a time to come, even in the day of the coming of the Son of Man.
54 And until that hour there will be foolish avirgins among the wise; and at that hour cometh an entire bseparation of the righteous and the wicked; and in that day will I send mine angels to cpluck out the wicked and cast them into unquenchable fire.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 8:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The Church does not teach a, "partial rapture theory."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints teaches that the true followers of Christ will remain on the earth during the tribulation period.

We do not believe members of The Church will be spared in the tribulation period. We will endure many trials pre-ceding the 2nd Coming of Christ. I believe we are currently in this latter-day period.

The separation of the righteous and the wicked, in the teachings of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, will take place at the 2nd Coming of Christ...

D+C 63
53 These things are the things that ye must look for; and, speaking after the manner of the Lord, they are now anigh at hand, and in a time to come, even in the day of the coming of the Son of Man.
54 And until that hour there will be foolish avirgins among the wise; and at that hour cometh an entire bseparation of the righteous and the wicked; and in that day will I send mine angels to cpluck out the wicked and cast them into unquenchable fire.
View Quote
Ok, so the whole thing is totally moot regarding Matthew 25 and this is just an LDS thread. And here you were posting non-LDS sources that are talking about a partial rapture.

For the record, 1 Thessalonians 5:1-11 destroys any idea that we have to "get ready" to be saved - notice that in the chapter before it's clearly talking about a rapture.

13But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep (Greek: koimao, to be dead), lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. 14For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.15For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who are asleep. 16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. 17Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. 18Therefore comfort one another with these words.

1But concerning the times and the seasons, brethren, you have no need that I should write to you. 2For you yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night. 3For when they say, "Peace and safety!" then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape. 4But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. 5You are all sons of light and sons of the day. We are not of the night nor of darkness. 6Therefore let us not sleep (Greek: katheudo, to be indifferent), as others do, but let us watch and be sober. 7For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk are drunk at night. 8But let us who are of the day be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love, and as a helmet the hope of salvation. 9For God did not appoint us to wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, 10who died for us, that whether we wake or sleep (indifferent), we should live together with Him.
11Therefore comfort each other and edify one another, just as you also are doing.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ok, so the whole thing is totally moot regarding Matthew 25 and this is just an LDS thread. And here you were posting non-LDS sources that are talking about a partial rapture.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Anyone can participate in the thread. It is not limited to anyone. You are free to share your thoughts and ideas.

The not-LDS sources claimed that the Parable of the Ten Virgins was about the Lords Second Coming. My original point.

I believe that believers do have to prepare for the Lords Second Coming. I believe that principle of the Gospel is clearly taught in the Parable of the Ten Virgins. Otherwise believers were --as taught in the parable-- unprepared for end-times and the Lords Second Coming. Other believers had prepared, and had actively engaged in faith and were prepared for the Lords Second Coming.

What if the day of His coming were tomorrow? If we knew that we would meet the Lord tomorrow—through our premature death or through His unexpected coming—what would we do today? What confessions would we make? What practices would we discontinue? What accounts would we settle? What forgivenesses would we extend? What testimonies would we bear?
If we would do those things then, why not now? Why not seek peace while peace can be obtained? If our lamps of preparation are drawn down, let us start immediately to replenish them.

Link

Link Posted: 3/26/2020 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#9]
LoL.....Love you guys but 180 years of really bad theology and illiterate “Bible” teaching isn’t getting any better.
Link Posted: 3/28/2020 8:59:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
LoL.....Love you guys but 180 years of really bad theology and illiterate “Bible” teaching isn’t getting any better.
View Quote

Illiterate Bible teaching? Who are you trying to take a swipe at?

"Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions." Link

"A new study from the Pew Research Center shows that Mormons score among the highest of all religion groups in their knowledge of Christianity, the Bible and other religious information." Link

As for the Parable of the Ten Virgins... I have trouble  finding not Latter-Day-Saint religious sources interpreting the passages of the parable  that disagree with the restored understanding of the parable found in the restored Church of Jesus Christ...

"The overall and easily seen thrust of the parable is that Christ will return at an unknown hour and that His people must be ready. Being ready means preparing for whatever contingency arises in our lives and keeping our eyes fixed on Jesus at all times while we eagerly await His coming." Link

That doctrinal point... Christs Church being ready (not just physically but primarily spiritually) for the end-times, and Christs return is the point of this thread.

The parable is for believers. It is describing otherwise believers. Five who exercise real faith, and keep faithful and keep exercising real faith until the end. And five otherwise believers who otherwise know the Lord is coming, but who fail in one way or another to be prepared for the Lords coming.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Notice some of their old literature from 80 years or so ago contradicts some of their current. (Some by omission)
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Notice some of their old literature from 80 years or so ago contradicts some of their current. (Some by omission)
View Quote

I do not believe there has been any changes in belief towards the Parable of the Ten Virgins and the belief of followers of Christ preparing for end-times in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

Modern revelation to Joseph Smith:

D+C 45:56 And at that day, when I shall come in my aglory, shall the parable be fulfilled which I spake concerning the ten bvirgins.

57 For they that are wise and have received the atruth, and have taken the Holy Spirit for their bguide, and have not been deceived—verily I say unto you, they shall not be hewn down and cast into the cfire, but shall abide the day.

I see no historical contradiction in The Church of Jesus Christ concerning the Parable of the Ten Virgins... As it relates to true believers preparing for Christs second coming. We have believed the same thing since Smith. Many other not-LDS Churches believe along the same lines, if you look at my links.

Sometimes antagonists to the restored Church of Jesus Christ broadly define, "literature," to broadly include *any* unofficial writings or literature, and not just formal established published scriptural doctrines of the restored Church of Jesus Christ.

The Parable of the Ten Virgins is intended for true followers of Christ. Some have done what needs to be done to prepare to meet Christ (Bridegroom). Other otherwise believers are otherwise unprepared for Christs return.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top