Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2023 4:41:10 PM EDT
Picked up my S&W model 642 from the Cincinnati PD today.  House was broken into Nov.  2012, this was the only gun that I had out of the safe.  Cincinnati PD has had it since Nov. 2021, had to wait until case was settled.  Gun looks like it was tied to the back of a pickup and drug down a gravel road for ten miles.  It still works, will make a good truck gun.  Write down those serial numbers and keep them on file.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Pics not loading
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It still works, will make a good truck gun.  Write down those serial numbers and keep them on file.
View Quote

So you want the popo to hang onto your gun for another 11 years when it gets stolen from your truck?  Admiral idea, old chap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you want the popo to hang onto your gun for another 11 years when it gets stolen from your truck?  Admiral idea, old chap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Reading comprehension is your friend.....
Cincinnati PD has had it since Nov. 2021
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a similar experience. Had a Smith mod 10 stolen June 86 got it back July 96.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is GD, reading is for suckers
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Lucky you got it back at all. I’m assuming it wasn’t used in a murder.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why?  Would that have meant it would have not been given back at some point?  Destroyed?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, but it was stolen in 2012 and assumedly recovered in 2021.
House was broken into Nov.  2012
His point was a gun just hanging out in a truck is more likely to be stolen (again) and he might have to wait another 11 years (or however long it takes for the police to recover, trial finish, and weapon returned).
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Implication:

Truck gun = easily stolen again

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes, but it was stolen in 2012 and assumedly recovered in 2021.

His point was a gun just hanging out in a truck is more likely to be stolen (again) and he might have to wait another 11 years (or however long it takes for the police to recover, trial finish, and weapon returned).
View Quote

So?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up a G17 for the local county PD that was taken in a break in March of 2019. They picked it up off a guy in May of the same year. I JUST got the call to come get it 2 months ago.

The PD had it in their possession for 3 1/2 years.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Implication:

View Quote

Implication=inaccessible gun in a safe can't be used for defense when needed... what's your point. If someone breaks into his shit how is that his fault at all,  unless he leaves it on the dash? Hell they broke into his house to steal it the first time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Implication:

View Quote

Way to go after the victim. Too bad crime didn't have permanent consequences.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Cops suck for returning stolen goods.

Garage was broken into, case was settled a year later and still had to make several calls and involve local politicians to get my stuff returned and even then the cop who showed up gave shitty attitude. The capper is I provided the video that nailed the fuckin' perp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um, read it again.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Common core math strikes again
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#17]
dumb question but why is law enforcement terrible at returning stolen property?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Implication:

View Quote

Have had a car gun for 30 years.  Have yet to have it stolen.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:08:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
dumb question but why is law enforcement terrible at returning stolen property?
View Quote

It's just not really a priority for them.  Having to dig it out of the warehouse, inventory that all that was picked up is returned.

Sometimes the D.A. has to sign off that the case is completely concluded (all appeals exhausted & no other need) and that can take years!.

Don't ask me how I know this...

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:12:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have had a car gun for 30 years.  Have yet to have it stolen.  

View Quote

Has your car been broken into in the past 30 years?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Implication:

Just like ROLLPIN, I was explaining what FLYNNDAWG had posted regarding 11 more years. I DGAF what someone does with his own gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pics not loading
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:26:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I picked up a G17 for the local county PD that was taken in a break in March of 2019. They picked it up off a guy in May of the same year. I JUST got the call to come get it 2 months ago.

View Quote

I got burglarized in S. Austin in 2005 and had a Colt Series 70 stolen along with a large amount of ammo, gun stuff such including NIB reloading dies and camera. I caught the scumbag neighbor on video and APD raided his house and recovered much of my property.

I got the gun back that same day because APD said they, the burglars, were coming back as they were gang members and I'd need it.

But the rest of the property I had to wait till after the trial and when I was told I could come pick it up they made me wait over an hour in the front lobby before bringing it out. Not sure what all that was about.

Even though it was on the list of recovered property, APD never did return my NIB RCBS loading dies. I chalked it up cost of doing business. Everyone gets a cut.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on how it was recovered, and if it’s relevant to any cases it may be tied up until after the trial.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Cops suck for returning stolen goods.

Garage was broken into, case was settled a year later and still had to make several calls and involve local politicians to get my stuff returned and even then the cop who showed up gave shitty attitude. The capper is I provided the video that nailed the fuckin' perp.
View Quote

Most people have no proof of ownership for recovered property
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:28:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Why is it that every time I hear about a recovered gun it’s looks like it’s been thrown down the driveway?

It’s almost as if crooks and cops have no respect for other peoples property.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

The point…. You missed it.

Guns left in vehicles get stolen and become crime guns.

The majority of gun thefts here are out of vehicles.

In my area about 1/3 to 1/2 of crime guns we recover are stolen out of vehicles.

If you think it’s ok to have a cheap gun stolen because you care more about your financial loss than what that stolen gun will be used for you are a selfish asshole

Don’t be a lazy piece of shit. Carry your gun and if you have to TEMPORARILY leave it in a vehicle due to a no carry location use a lock box secured to the vehicle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:48:40 PM EDT
[#28]
I had a S&W 686 and a 629 Classic stolen.
I got the 686 back 3 years later and in good condition.
I got the 629 back 5 years later and whoever had it kept pretty damn good care of it.
I was told that the police hold on to them for a period of time to make sure the ballistics don't pop up in a crime. (I'm a poet and I didn't even realize it)
If it was used during the commitment of a crime as in murder, they get "destroyed".
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you want the popo to hang onto your gun in the wild for another 11 9 years when it gets stolen from your truck?  Admiral idea, old chap.

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes all the difference in the message.  When I say "all the difference",  I mean no difference.  So I edited my post to make you happy.

OP should leave it on the dashboard so thieves don't have to dig around to find his "truck gun".  After all, the cops will get it back to him a year or so after it's recovered and fucked to hell and back. Maybe. It's all good, right?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Why?  Would that have meant it would have not been given back at some point?  Destroyed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Evidence in murders are usually held until appeals are exhausted.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Why does it take them that long?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It still works, will make a good truck gun.  Write down those serial numbers and keep them on file.

Goodby Chap
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:17:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I lived in FL....got me while at work (mil so couldn't carry on base ).

Never saw it again....maybe Miami JBT has it.....40 S&W..... (jk)
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Thanks for pointing that out. It makes all the difference in the message.  When I say "all the difference",  I mean no difference.  So I edited my post to make you happy.

OP should leave it on the dashboard so thieves don't have to dig around to find his "truck gun".  After all, the cops will get it back to him a year or so after it's recovered and fucked to hell and back. Maybe. It's all good, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you want the popo to hang onto your gun in the wild for another 11 9 years when it gets stolen from your truck?  Admiral idea, old chap.

Jesus fuck. He better disable his vehicle to, so someone who might steal it can't. Wtf? Is this where we're at now? People look down on other people for being victims? Fuck that, punish thefts where people are afraid to steal.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Jesus fuck. He better disable his vehicle to, so someone who might steal it can't. Wtf? Is this where we're at now? People look down on other people for being victims? Fuck that, punish thefts where people are afraid to steal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Everyone should have one of these battery disconnects on their vehicle if they don't park it in their garage. I do.  Just unscrew the big green knob and put it in the gun safe where you don't keep your guns, apparently.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:09:05 PM EDT
[#36]
I had a S&W 342 stolen in 2005, it was recovered in 2006 on a felon peeing on the king county courthouse.

Seattle said king county had it, king county said seattle had it.

It never got returned.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Glad you got it back but sucks its significantly damaged.

Had a G23 Gen 3 stolen and recovered as well, took almost a year in PD lock up until the case was finished to get back. Luckily it was in the same condition as when stolen.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, take advice from this guy
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I have never understood PD's keeping guns that long.

When we recover a stolen gun we take good photographs, and call the rightful owner that day. They can come get it basically anytime after that. The only time we didn't do that was when someone was actually shot with the gun, we sent it for ballistic testing, then returned it to the owner about a month later but he was aware of what was happening.

Police Departments should value the rights of the victim who had their property stolen over the unlikely chance that piece of property will be needed in the court room.

Anyways, it annoys me and makes me feel bad for the cops that work at those places. There are very few feelings better than returning property to the rightful owner, especially guns.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Implication:

View Quote

Rather depends on whether tucked under seat, in glovebox or some sort of safe.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Beans go in chili.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Implication:

View Quote

GD… Stolen?! Tsk Tsk

From your vehicle? You asked for it
Not in a safe in your home? You asked for it
Safe wasn’t bolted down? You asked for it

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

i think he was referring to the notion that OP was going to keep it as a truck gun.  And it would get stolen again leaving it in the truck.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#44]
One of my buddies got a 38 S&W back that had been used in a murder in WA, I'm truly surprised the LEA actually call people to return them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I've read before about stolen guns that were used in murders being destroyed even when the rightful owner was known. Where does a police department or judge get the authority to destroy someone else's property without providing compensation?
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Pics not loading
View Quote

This, WTH OP?

Damn 21'ers.

Link Posted: 2/24/2023 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted: