Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow - in this thread, we learn who grasps basic science and math, and who was smoking weed instead of paying attention in class.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:30:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We are trying to understand the reasoning process of a woman.  It's all parody.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this a parody of something I missed?

We are trying to understand the reasoning process of a woman.  It's all parody.
Apparently it's not just the reasoning process of a woman, as half the people posting in this thread don't seem to understand a simple thing like density, either, and I doubt they are all women.   OTOH, perhaps they should just ask their husbands anyway.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This is the same process by which some women think setting the thermostat to 85  (and then forgetting about it) will get the house to 70  "faster" because they were feeling chilly.
View Quote
LOL - yeah, that is  truly a classic.   And I might go so far as to say most women.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What does one do with a cube of tungsten?
View Quote
They make, by far, the best rivet bucking bars.   For many years, I have had a couple (rectangular blocks, not cubes)
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:45:38 AM EDT
[#5]
The only reasonable solution is to crank up your oven and shove it in.

If that doesn't work, try the same thing again, but this time, use the cube instead.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:23:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude your wife is right.
Could be lead or mixture of pot metals that's the same density.
View Quote

That pesky damn Periodic Table....shit be crazy Yo !
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:30:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:44:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I would genuinely be pissed if my wife bought me a cube.
View Quote

You will get a cube and you will like it.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Years back I replaced a bunch of depleted uranium counterweights with tungsten steel. The tungsten steel was less dense but I'm pretty sure pure tungsten is almost the same. Regulatory stuff aside, that's the only material I can think of that wouldn't cost considerably more. We kept the scrap weights in giant metal baskets, but they really weren't controlled like they probably should have. Engineers were using them as paperweights on their desks in the non-air conditioned hangar.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Picture of wife not loading.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How much water does OP's cube displace?
View Quote
Shouldn't even need to do that if it's a cube.  Measure it and calculate the volume.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Son of bitch, I'm always late to the current fads.  I had about 500lbs of Tungsten sitting around the shop from a project that ran out of funding.  I literally had to force the government to take it back; I could've retired making little cubical conversation pieces.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:17:39 AM EDT
[#13]
This is all so simple.  Just drill a hole all the way through the tungsten and see if everything is the same throughout.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:39:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When simple logic failed, my appeal to authority argument based upon my PhD in economics also failed. But I still haven't touched the savings account. Yet.
View Quote

I'm a Physician Assistant.  I deal with this shit all the time.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Dude your wife is right.
View Quote

Quoted:

I'm not sure you know what density is.

No, I take that back. I'm sure you don't know what density is.
View Quote

Actually he is quite right. Lead is heavier than W so a combination of Pb and lighter metals will have the same mass as a W cube of the same dimensions.

"Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast."
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:50:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

One of the young stars thought we were using tungsten for a little cruise missile airframe when I tasked her with digging up any average properties she could find for sizing the ballast installation.

She was something else, I checked to find out whether she graduated from an ABET accredited school.

She didn't find a damned bit of information.

View Quote

Yikes. I’ve only had one that was that dense (lol). She really felt under appreciated. Quit and ended up getting a job at NAVAIR.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 9:52:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Actually he is quite right. Lead is heavier than W so a combination of Pb and lighter metals will have the same mass as a W cube of the same dimensions.

"Common metals in pot metal include zinc, lead, copper, tin, magnesium, aluminium, iron, and cadmium. The primary advantage of pot metal is that it is quick and easy to cast."
View Quote

You sure about that?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Degenerate neutronium is something like a trillion times more dense than tungsten (in Minecraft).

If you had a little bit of that, you could stick it in a cube that was mostly hollow. And it would still weigh the same as solid tungsten.

Off to check eBay....
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
This is the same process by which some women think setting the thermostat to 85° (and then forgetting about it) will get the house to 70° "faster" because they were feeling chilly.
View Quote

Holy shit! My wife does that. And refuses to listen how it does not make the house heat up faster.
No matter how many times it's been explained to her by numerous people.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I asked my wife what state the city of Philadelphia is in and she couldn't tell me. Women are dumb.
View Quote

That is because they have brain the size of squirrel.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tell your wife there is something denser in the room than the cube.
View Quote

See if it goes over her head. Or you get something thrown at you, like a cube of tungsten.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:52:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Son of bitch, I'm always late to the current fads.  I had about 500lbs of Tungsten sitting around the shop from a project that ran out of funding.  I literally had to force the government to take it back; I could've retired making little cubical conversation pieces.
View Quote
Yeah, that stuff is pretty expensive
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jesus H. Christ
I am speechless
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#25]
They probably put gold inside to keep the weight and save on tungsten.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:00:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dude.

ETA:
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#27]
How close are you to salt lake? I could xray it
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#28]
If you’ve ever done any aircraft sheet metal work you know tungsten bucking bars are a lifesaver.
Small to fit in tight spaces, super heavy.

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Dude your wife is right.
View Quote

That's not how it works.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Prison wallet
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What does one do with a cube of tungsten

Prison wallet

That is a hell of a pessary
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thank you.  I'm glad someone here is upholding time-honored GD traditions.  
View Quote

This man prays to the old gods.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:14:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#33]
OP, following some of the advice in this thread:

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think it's pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let's set aside the fact that Lead is NOT heavier than Tungsten, and that using the periodic table symbols doesn't make this sound smarter.  You're suggesting somebody melts these two, Pb and W, and then mixes them?

Melting point of lead = 621 F / 327 C

Melting point of tungsten =  6,192 °F / 3,422 °C

Do you see a problem here?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I’d take a bunch of tungsten for Father’s Day… but only in the form of fishing weights.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:54:42 AM EDT
[#37]
As the tables shown, anything more dense are either more dangerous or more value than Tungsten
1.5" cube at 0.62 lbs/in^3 yields 2 pounds, which your weight is correct.

Most general civilian have no understanding of math, science, chemical, and physics, and they learn from old wife's tale of people being fooled by painted lead.
At ~$4/pound, why would anybody want to cheat, even thou lead is ~$0.50/pound.
Cost you more to get a chemical analysis on the cube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 11:58:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Jesus H. Christ
I am speechless
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ
I am speechless

This is like the airplane on a treadmill thread all over again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:13:32 PM EDT
[#39]
None of the metals mentioned in this thread are the most dense thing in this thread.
Like liberals doubling down on wokeness, some people just keep doubling down on ignorance.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jesus H. Christ
I am speechless

Six: "All of this has happened before..."

Baltar: But the question remains: does all of this have to happen again?
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:14:40 PM EDT
[#41]
No amount of logic or reasoning is going to reach some of these people.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:15:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If you've ever done any aircraft sheet metal work you know tungsten bucking bars are a lifesaver.
Small to fit in tight spaces, super heavy.

View Quote
damn right - they are wonderful
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:15:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'd take a bunch of tungsten for Father's Day  but only in the form of fishing weights.
View Quote
i'd take an inch and a half guardrail nut machined from tungsten so i can throw it on a loop of 550 cord.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:16:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been a few years, but I recall it being on the order of $50,000.  The delivery guys were like: "WTF is this stuff?" because it came on a 1/4-sized pallet and was only 4" tall; I think the scrap value was enormous as well - ~$7/lb for what amounted to a little cup full of tungsten dust/shavings.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:18:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Let's set aside the fact that Lead is NOT heavier than Tungsten, and that using the periodic table symbols doesn't make this sound smarter.  You're suggesting somebody melts these two, Pb and W, and then mixes them?

Melting point of lead = 621 F / 327 C

Melting point of tungsten =  6,192  F / 3,422  C

Do you see a problem here?
View Quote
LOL - probably not, given some of the posts in this thread
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#46]
But if the cube was travelling close to the speed of light...

Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Ask her how the cheaper metals got inside.

As a journeyman machinist it would be more expensive to cut a piece of tungsten so that a cheaper metal could be assembled inside, and then make a cover out if tungsten so that you couldn't see any seams. Than to just buy a piece if tungsten and machine it square.
The manufacturer would be removing tungsten to replace it with some other metals.

Tungsten is .62 lbs per cu in and lead is .409 per cu inch. It isn't possible to do with lead, and any metal that is more dense than tungsten is more expensive.

So tell her if it is "filled" with another metal then it is more valuable than tungsten.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:26:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
i'd take an inch and a half guardrail nut machined from tungsten so i can throw it on a loop of 550 cord.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'd take a bunch of tungsten for Father's Day  but only in the form of fishing weights.

Not whiz bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and it’s coloring books for Christmas.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dude your wife is right.
View Quote

See my post above. This is impossible.
Link Posted: 6/17/2023 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Talk to her about Archimedes, weight, volume, and density.

Then tell her to get her sassy ass back in the kitchen.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top