Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/27/2021 4:59:38 PM EDT
I was headed out to Chic Fil A and Walmart, with my side chic who happens to be married to another ARF member,  driving my 2010 Navigator I purchased last week with no money down and super low $400/month payments (10 year plan).

Well, most of the above is not true, but I WAS going to Chic Fil A. GPS was engaged for traffic purposes (and yes, I realize that I am another small styrofoam pellet in the stream of information used to provide more accurate traffic flow. I am a state highway with a left turn onto a local street that is controlled by a traffic light. Up ahead there is a truck navigating the turn, and a car between the truck and I.

Further up ahead, I see that the road I plan to get on has a constriction from three lanes to one. The truck slows down. I assume the car in front of me did not have the sight lines I had, they almost ran into the truck, then they stopped in the middle of the T intersection (stalled?).  They started driving again, and stopped again without any discernible reason.

Meanwhile, my GPS is saying "turn left on Route 66". I had to jam my brakes (but not severely) to avoid running in back of the idiot driver who decided to swerve into my lane despite having 50+ yards open in front of them.

I said:  "OH MY GOD!" in a very exasperated manner. I hear google voice asking me "Are you ok?"

WTF?

I pulled over, turned off navigation (always off unless I am using for traffic), and closed out the app. Mind you, when I set this phone up a few months ago (Samsung X Cover Pro), I turned off every voice anything, except to record video, and use the phone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Google was concerned about your welfare. Be thankful.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:03:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Alexa is always listening. Don't worry about it until that AI goes all co-dependent fatal attraction and tries to cook your dog.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Skynet is a thing, Bro. They watch you masturbbate FFS.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Mind you, when I set this phone up a few months ago (Samsung X Cover Pro), I turned off every voice anything, except to record video, and use the phone.
View Quote

lol, it's cute that you believe sliding the toggle to the "off" position actually stops the phone from listening to and logging nearly everywhere you go..
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alexa is always listening. Don't worry about it until that AI goes all co-dependent fatal attraction and tries to cook your dog.
View Quote

In b4

Pics of Alexa?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:22:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Your phone has accelerometers in addition to GPS.

It detected your sudden deceleration, might have noticed your expletive at the same time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#7]
There's supposed to be some sort of collision detection going into Maps, IIRC.

Yeah, if you're driving (and it knows when you are, you'll be moving faster than walking and be on a street) and you suddenly stop, it's not too hard to tell. Sudden GPS halting, accelerometers in your phone going nuts for a split second...
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:34:54 PM EDT
[#8]
My girlfriend asked me why I carry a gun around the house.  What am I afraid of?  I looked her straight in the eye and said, "The motherfucking decepticons."  She laughed, I laughed, the toaster laughed.  I shot the toaster.  It was a good time.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
and yes, I realize that I am another small styrofoam pellet in the stream of information used to provide more accurate traffic flow. [/b]"

View Quote

No, you don't really realize.

If you're running any sort of regular Android or Apple product, it's giving info on location/speed/heading if it's powered on.  Doesn't matter what options you do or don't have enabled, and at best, you might delay the phone-home of some info a bit.

It has nothing to do with GPS or location services being enabled.  And it's not just a lack of meaningful phone settings options; you could snap your fingers and make every GPS sat vanish and it wouldn't make a difference.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:55:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

No, you don't really realize.

If you're running any sort of regular Android or Apple product, it's giving info on location/speed/heading if it's powered on.  Doesn't matter what options you do or don't have enabled, and at best, you might delay the phone-home of some info a bit.

It has nothing to do with GPS or location services being enabled.  And it's not just a lack of meaningful phone settings options; you could snap your fingers and make every GPS sat vanish and it wouldn't make a difference.
View Quote

I have a Faraday bag for my phone.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have a Faraday bag for my phone.
View Quote

Good idea to avoid detection when committing crimes.  Don't want to be pinging those pesky cell towers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was headed out to Chic Fil A and Walmart, with my side chic who happens to be married to another ARF member,  driving my 2010 Navigator I purchased last week with no money down and super low $400/month payments (10 year plan).

View Quote

Jody, that you????
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:08:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I think only members of the Inner Party can turn off the telescreen.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I think only members of the Inner Party can turn off the telescreen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top