Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/16/2022 10:42:21 AM EDT
I posted a few weeks ago how I hate travelling... well last night my wife decided she wants to go on a trip with some friends of ours and that since I don't like traveling, I get to pick the location in Mexico.

So knowing nothing about this, where in Mexico is a good place to go if I don't care to do any sight-seeing and just want to lay on a beach and drink myself stupid with rum and not have to worry about being kidnapped by the cartel? Definitely doing something all inclusive...
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:48:23 AM EDT
[#1]
There will be a lot of haters saying don't go.

Cancun is super touristy and good deals can be had.  I've been there several times and always had fun.  

As with any place you travel to a little situational awareness can go a long way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:48:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Mexico?  

I'd rather lay on a beach in Florida.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I hear TJ and other boarder towns are quite lively these days
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#4]
<   Lives in Tijuana Mexico

All inclusive in Cancun is best for noobs.  Stick to the resort and you will be fine.

if a little more adventurous, I'd say Mazatlan , especially if you like to fish
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
You are not limited to Cancun.  You can go south towards Tulum although Tulum I would avoid.  You have many isolated hotels south of Cancun towards Puerto Morelos then south to Playa del Carmen and Akumal.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ive been to Cabo San Lucas a few times...always fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#7]
My boss just went to Cancun from England and said he had fun.

Aside from that, heading to Mexico is not on my plans in the near future.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:53:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Cozumel, nice people, great food, less crime than Cancun, less idiots also.  Only way on and off island is boat or plane, cartel doesn't have time or need of that hassle.  Much nicer snorkeling as island protects you from ocean waves, more coral than Playa or Cancun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:56:07 AM EDT
[#9]
First, let’s get it out if the way. You’re going to die by the hands of the cartel and your just feeding the machine that welcomes the invasion of our country. Your head will be chopped off and filled with fentanyl then smuggled across the border in the Juan’s ass.

We’re going back to The Grand Palladium in Costa Mujeres in about a month. It’s just outside Cancun proper and well away from the hotel zone.

We like it because it’s a huge resort. It’s like a couple hotels in one resort. We stay at the TRS as it’s the adults only side. All the shops and some restaurants are in the villa and there are carts than that take you to and fro all day. Service was great and the food was above average AI fare.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard Juarez and Tijuana are pretty nice places.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:57:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
<   Lives in Tijuana Mexico

All inclusive in Cancun is best for noobs.  Stick to the resort and you will be fine.

if a little more adventurous, I'd say Mazatlan , especially if you like to fish
View Quote

Couldn’t have said it better myself.   My grandparents used to live in mazatlan and I’ve been down there a dozen or more times.  Great ocean fishing and if you go a bit inland there is a world class bass lake.

Wife and I occasionally do Cancun as well at an all inclusive resort to just relax.  Hard to complain when everything is paid for and I can eat a steak every meal of the day if I want.  

I feel safer in Mexico than I do in larger cities near my home, even without a gun.  Trouble is definitely there if you want to find it but don’t go trying to buy drugs or hookers and you most likely will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:58:06 AM EDT
[#12]
What about Dominican Republic? I see there's quite a few packages priced similar to Mexico...
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#13]
First I would stop by Dad's old house, Grampa's old house, and then go out to the farm and hunt some squirrels.  Probably hit up TJ's Roadhouse. Go by Sydenstricker's Angus farm and John Deere dealer and then go across the street to Graf's.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:59:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Brazil
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go to the nearest airport.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:02:22 AM EDT
[#16]
All inclusive in Cancun is probably your best and safest option
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:02:43 AM EDT
[#17]
The Carib side is nice. When do you plan on going?

There is a SMALL issue with sargassum (a nice weed growing in the ocean). If you go during the warmer months, you NEED a place that takes care of the beach. There is even mapping of it to know the areas with greater impact.

If you only want to lay around and not do anything, there are tons of places. I am anti-Cancun, as it is too touristy. I will go away from there. Are you guys into tours, snorkeling, wanting to see the pyramids, swimming in cenotes, need places where you can be lose the top and/or bottoms?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:03:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I really liked the Gran Velas resrort in Riviera Nijarit

https://vallarta.grandvelas.com/
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#19]
We're going to Cozumel in February. Wanted to get away but have never done anything like that so on a buddies advice are going to an all inclusive resort and just relax for a week.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Of all the "tropical beach paradise" places around the Caribbean I've seen, Grand Cayman was the most "First-world".  

Disclaimer, I've not done any of the all-inclusive resort spots... not really my thing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
There will be a lot of haters saying don't go.

Cancun is super touristy and good deals can be had.  I've been there several times and always had fun.  

As with any place you travel to a little situational awareness can go a long way.
View Quote

There are risks to vacationing in Mexico that other places simply don't have. Don't feed the corrupt system.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:06:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Cabo for fishing and a bit more upscale
Cancun if wanting a cheap party
Cozumel if scuba diving
Isla Mujeres if you want a laid back time at a resort on slower speed (fly into Cancun and take ferry across). We like Privilege Aluxes there as it has a better beach
Puerta Vallarta let’s you have good resorts and take 4 wheelers up into the mountains outside of town (filmed Predator there)
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#24]
If you get out, I'll be waiting for you in Zihuatanejo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Get your "Big Igloo" training on

https://www.nbcnews.com/now/video/mexico-sends-hundreds-of-troops-to-tijuana-after-string-of-cartel-violence-146248261998

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Cabo or Loreto
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I really liked the Gran Velas resrort in Riviera Nijarit

https://vallarta.grandvelas.com/
View Quote

Met a friend there recently. Nice place and they were pretty good with security.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:10:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
What about Dominican Republic? I see there's quite a few packages priced similar to Mexico...
View Quote

I have zero desire to go there.
Here is the current sargassum status in Akumal
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I've heard that baja is full of americans and canadians.  Water is colder there though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:15:17 AM EDT
[#30]
I would say New Mexico, but even that is pretty sketchy.

Go to Florida.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Since it has been asked, we are planning for the 1st full week in March 2023
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#32]
We went to Secrets Maroma between Cancun and Playa last month and it was excellent.  If you are looking to lay on the beach and drink yourself away, that is the place!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#33]
We found flights to Hawaii that were cheaper than Mexico. About an hour longer in the air. No brainer.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:21:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
We found flights to Hawaii that were cheaper than Mexico. About an hour longer in the air. No brainer.
View Quote

The big island is really, really cool.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:23:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Arizona
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:24:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Since it has been asked, we are planning for the 1st full week in March 2023
View Quote

Spring Break would be starting. So stay away from the hotel zone if you choose Cancun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:26:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Donkey show FTW
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Cancun or Cozumel since you just want to hang around the resort.  

One thing.  Make sure it's all adult.  The first time we went it was a surprise to see the place overrun by kids going berserk.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:32:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I've been to Cancun once.beach is not great but if you don't like walking along the beach (sea walls etc. Btw. Resorts) it's fine.
Entertainment at night is good (usually-some nights it's bad).Food is decent and booze is free (don't go to cheap resorts--ppl. Have died from badbooze)
Pool life is fun but there is usually a "quiet pool" and a "party pool".
Suggest adults only unless you like screaming kids.
Water is usually potable in your room.

I suggest Dominican Republic especially Punta Cana (bavaro beach).
You can walk miles down the beach with it's beautiful sand.
Food is ok not great unless you get a specialty resto. In the resort.
Entertainment is good.
Less safe if you walk outside the resort at night.
Booze is good.they have top shelf stuff if you have VIP wristbands OR bribe the bartenders.
Some resorts allow locals onsite during weekends--that gets "interesting".

I would not suggest Porta Plata-bad food,crap beach,armed guards at night-caught a touch of that bad food aftermath--fun with the runs...

Forgot to add DR water in room may NOT be potable.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:34:09 AM EDT
[#40]
i’ve been to Leblanc twice, in cancun. all inclusive.

booked through costco travel.

one price up front, flights included.

not cheap, however 1000% worth it, IMO. and got costco gift card for booking through them. safe, nice, no kids, unlimited alcohol/room service.....& i got big vodkas after every breakfast, without having to ask. i was happy & the staff treated the lady friend nice as well.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#41]
I'm taking the wife unit to Puerta Vallarta once she gets the medical OK from her back doctor.  Part of my decision is also easy travel as it is a nonstop flight from Phoenix.  But it's on the water, safe, and has lots of cultural shit to do and if the wife gets boring I can golf or go fishing.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#42]
San Diego
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm taking the wife unit to Puerta Vallarta once she gets the medical OK from her back doctor.  Part of my decision is also easy travel as it is a nonstop flight from Phoenix.  But it's on the water, safe, and has lots of cultural shit to do and if the wife gets boring I can golf or go fishing.

View Quote

She will need the medical OK if you hit the main town. The roads are cobblestone and construction is everywhere. The potholes are typical and you will definitely hit a few

Best deal for a car is Gecko. $250 for a week OTD.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:42:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
San Diego
View Quote

Cold water
More expensive
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Occidental in Cozumel.  You can fly direct to Cozumel (smaller airport) and catch a shuttle direct to the resort.  The resort is by itself on the southern end of the island away from the tourist traps in San Miguel.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:44:15 AM EDT
[#46]
I just got back from spending last week in Playa Del Carmen. It was absolutely awesome. Highly recommend. Lots of good all inclusive resorts to choose from.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:44:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Grand Occidental Xcaret.
It is a large all inclusive hotel with many different restaurants and bars, instead of only a couple.
Xcaret is over the wall and is a wonderful resort with lots to do.
Be sure to pay for your wife to have her feet eaten by the fish.
If you get hot, go for a swim in one of the long tunnel Senotes.

When you get bored with that, go to the other park Xel-Ha.

All Inclusive made no sense to me as most of them have one restaurant, one bar, and maybe some beach.
The Occidental must be a hundred acres with several restaurants, bars, and a nice lagoon to swim in.

Have Fun!
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:45:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Cold water
More expensive
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
San Diego

Cold water
More expensive

Most places are more expensive than a 3rd world shit hole.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:47:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I posted a few weeks ago how I hate travelling... well last night my wife decided she wants to go on a trip with some friends of ours and that since I don't like traveling, I get to pick the location in Mexico.

So knowing nothing about this, where in Mexico is a good place to go if I don't care to do any sight-seeing and just want to lay on a beach and drink myself stupid with rum and not have to worry about being kidnapped by the cartel? Definitely doing something all inclusive...
View Quote

South Padre, TX or Charleston, SC.  I’m sure both have a Taco Bell.

TL; DR: Fuck Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
We went to Secrets Maroma between Cancun and Playa last month and it was excellent.  If you are looking to lay on the beach and drink yourself away, that is the place!
View Quote

Very nice beach at Maroma
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top