Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2020 1:00:12 PM EDT
Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 1:11:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Northern Brewer has a good kit. Pretty much has most of what you need and it comes with an extract kit of your choice.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 1:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Northern Brewer has a good kit. Pretty much has most of what you need and it comes with an extract kit of your choice.
View Quote

I second this,  thats how I got my start.  Started with NB kit and extract on the stove top, moved outdoors to a burner and then all grain and on and on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I ordered the Northern Brewer 5 gal kit.  

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2020 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I bottled my first batch of Block Party Amber Ale last night.  Just 2 more weeks.

I have a Shandy kit and an IPA to work on next.  Thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/6/2020 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I am just getting back into it. Look into brew in a bag and using a water cooler, it's a slick way to go all grain. It's a lot more work, but it cuts the cost on the batch a lot. Another way to cut cost, is... lol when you bottle your beer, that is brew day for your next batch. You don't clean the carboy and you leave the yeast in the bottom of the carboy when you bottle. Your new batch of beer, as soon as it's cool enough, you transfer it into the dirty carboy. That way you are re using the yeast and cutting that cost. BUT lol you will spend far more on tools to make beer than you save... so shrugs. It's nice to make your own.
Link Posted: 10/31/2020 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I started the exact same way as the OP.
I even brewed up the same amber ale.

I’ve been at it for a couple of years now.
I’ve upgraded my set up to a Mash and Boil with pump and a stir plate for yeast starters.
I’ve also got a Catalyst fermenter.
It has been a game changer for me.

I’m hitting my OG every time.
The ingredients cost me less because I don’t have to use an extract.
I can dump my trunk and essentially give my beer a secondary fermentation with out transferring to another vessel.
I have successfully harvested yeast.
And the beer is coming out way tastier.

Home brewing is another rabbit hole just like building guns from parts kits.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sunday night I brewed an IPA.  Monday morning my wife found the ferment bucket in the pantry.  She said, "You need your own building for all of your hobbies."

I will be brewing a Scottish Ale tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 2:41:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an all grain 1554 clone to brew, maybe this coming weekend.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Just saw this thread, would you guys recommend the Deluxe or the Premium kit from Northern Brewer?

I'm not sure about the plastic carboy with the premium kit. Any thoughts?

I'd probably get a pot and burner either way to keep all my brewing stuff together. Anything else I would need to order?

Thanks
Tom
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:34:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just saw this thread, would you guys recommend the Deluxe or the Premium kit from Northern Brewer?

I'm not sure about the plastic carboy with the premium kit. Any thoughts?

I'd probably get a pot and burner either way to keep all my brewing stuff together. Anything else I would need to order?

Thanks
Tom
View Quote

Watch Homebrew 4 Life YouTube vids on the basics.  You can easily make your own plastic fermentation vessels for cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top