Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/30/2018 10:29:42 PM EDT
Just found out I'm mildly allergic to bees.  How do I protect myself without going broke?
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:30:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t get stung?

In all seriousness there isn’t a lot of options that I’m aware of. If it’s just a mild allergy then Benadryl might be effective enough.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Meth is probably cheaper.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Might also want to look at taking a trip to Canada. A few years ago they were OTC at the pharmacies up there, not sure about currently though
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep Benadryl caplets and oral cortisone on hand.  Even without any known allergies in my house, I always have some at the ready, in the house and vehicles.

If stung, swallow one of each, then break open one Benadryl and dissolve the powder under your tongue, then dissolve the a cortisone tab under your tongue.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
The medication in the epipen can be bought in a large vial very cheaply.  You would just have to prep be pre-filling a syringe to match your weight and carry that around with you.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
The EpiPen Alternative That Costs Just $10

Look around, EpiPen isn't the only auto-injector, it's just the most well-known.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm allergic af to bees,  I carry a shitload of benadryl in my kit, and epipens, but with the recent price increase,  my doc said he can prescribe a single dose of adrenaline or whatever is in those and I can carry a 25g syringe and just inject it myself if I get hit.

the thing I like about that is it's a lot smaller than the epipen, which is giant, and I can control the injection, which is nice. The epipen is scary. I poked one though a box on time, needle is HUGE
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm allergic af to bees,  I carry a shitload of benadryl in my kit, and epipens, but with the recent price increase,  my doc said he can prescribe a single dose of adrenaline or whatever is in those and I can carry a 25g syringe and just inject it myself if I get hit.

the thing I like about that is it's a lot smaller than the epipen, which is giant, and I can control the injection, which is nice. The epipen is scary. I poked one though a box on time, needle is HUGE
View Quote
It's epinephrine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:18:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's epinephrine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
adrenaline
It's epinephrine.
Adrenaline = epinephrine
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Wear a bee suit 24/7.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm very allergic to bees. My last two stings, a largish dose of Benadryl was enough to stop the reaction. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#12]
It used to be that you could just buy Primatine Mist which was just epinephrine in a spray. I'm not sure you still can. The pills that they sell with the Primatine label on them are not. Supposedly they took Primatine Mist off the market not because it didn't work, but because it used CFCs as a propellant and the tree huggers convinced the .gov to remove them. There are supposedly a couple of companies that are trying to bring it back but since the formulation now involves non-CFC propellant, the FDA is treating it like a new drug. Idiotic. That stuff's only been around like 50 years or something.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:48:33 AM EDT
[#13]
How did you determine you are "mildly allergic"?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:52:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Vials are $1-2 each.  Sharps $1.  Med school $200k?

The manufacturer of epipens is fucking us over.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:59:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Simple answer, do you have a prescription?  If you do, through my insurance, the Mylan generic epipen s are $30 for a set of two.  An even better option is called Auvi-q, which is a competitor to Epi-pen and personally I think they are way better.  Much smaller size too.  They promise no out of pocket cost, so it is free to you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#16]
See if you can get a amp of epi prescribed and just draw it up in syringe. Most cost of the epi pen is the patent and the fda keeping competition out.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:13:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I am allergic to insect bites/stings. I kept Sudafed handy until the meth heads screwed that up.  I now keep Benadryl at home and in my autos. Take 2 and chew them if necessary. I still have a few Sudafed's and they wont make you sleepy!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:13:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Look around, EpiPen isn't the only auto-injector, it's just the most well-known.
View Quote
This.

Adrenaclick auto injector. Similar type of device.

Epinephrine in little vials is also cheap but the prospect of dealing with drawing up the right amount with a syringe and then self administering it under stress makes that not so practical.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:15:09 AM EDT
[#19]
1 cc tuberculin syringe x 2

1 ampule of 1ml epi 1:1000 (dose at 0.3 to 0.5 cc)

1 vial 50mg benadryl
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:20:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Check "primatene" inhalers. They used to be epi.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Huge needle. Well, yeah...going into a huge muscle, possibly through layers of clothes...wielded by either a hamfisted bystander or hypoxic patient losing fine motor control.

The cost is damn stupid...but the ease of any autoinjector when someone is going into respiratory distress has its merits.  If you're going to draw your own, practice practice practice.  Practice under stress...inject saline into an orange after sprints/push ups.

I'm serious.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:38:57 AM EDT
[#22]
SOME BAD INFO HERE Let's clear it up.

There is a DIFFERENCE between ALLERGY and ANAPHYLAXIS

ALLERGY is itchy, runny nose, watering eyes, maybe hives, maybe your stomach doesn't feel good, your asthma acts up...

ANAPHYLAXIS is a deadly systemic runaway inflammatory reaction that involves swelling of your tongue, upper airway, lower airways, blood vessels (angioedema) which then leak into surrounding tissue (puffy face and swelling digits), losing intravascular volume and tone (losing blood pressure), increased heart rate, which all can lead to shock, hypoxia, and death.

If benadryl and a puff of albuterol solves your problem, you have an allergy.

If you need an epi-pen and albuterol, you have an anaphylactic reaction.

BENADRYL IS NOT A LIFE SAVING MEDICATION. It takes about an hour to reach peak affect mostly helps with annoying symptoms like itchiness/hives/runny nose.

BENADRYL WILL NOT REVERSE YOUR AIRWAY SWELLING SHUT. You need Epinephrine (aka adrenaline) injected IM (by an epipen or an EMT) for that.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 2:40:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I have four Auvi-q injectors, I usually carry two with me.  They cost around $4500 per two of them.  Talk to an allergist and they can find a way to get them for you cheaper or for free.

If they aren't aware of the program, fill this out and bring it in to the allergist: https://www.auvi-q.com/pdf/Direct-Delivery-Service-Enrollment-Form-2.pdf
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:08:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Do you have insurance? If so, go see an allergist. I got 4 injectors for NADA, it was all covered on account of it being a life saving medication. It's not a brand name epipen, but it's the same medication, it comes in a thing that looks more like a kid's building block than a pen, and when you take off the cap it activates an electronic voice command feature.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:10:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, this is what I got, 4 units and two trainers for free with my insurance. I'll go get stung real quick and then give a review, back in a flash...
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:51:51 AM EDT
[#26]
There was a CVS coupon recently that made it $0 for an epi-pen at CVS if you had insurance
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:57:27 AM EDT
[#27]
For “Mildly allergic” local reaction only try keeping some Unisom Fastmelt/Sleepmelt tablets in your FAK.  They’re a quick dissolving Benadryl tablet.  Also keep a Pepcid fast dissolve tablet in your FAK to take at the same time as the Sleepmelt tablet.

If you have a more severe reaction don’t skimp on the epipen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Just get the stupid epipens.

Make sure if you cary one, you carry both and you contact emergency medical treatment if you use them. People feel better, go on their merry way then die because they're retarded.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Good luck trying to get epinephrine in a syringe. My daughter is allergic to peanuts and with our insurance, we have to pay full price for RX meds until we reach our out of pocket maximum. Needless to say I tried getting a scrip for epinephrine from her pediatrician and getting a compounding pharmacy to dispense pre-filled syringes as a compromise and it was a struggle. Her pediatrician was comfortable writing a scrip (I had prior EMT training and hey, it's just an IM injection) but getting any pharmacy to dispense anything was a complete failure. CVS/Caremark has generic epi filled syringes/pricing on their website(~$10), but they wouldn't/couldn't figure out how to dispense it and the compounding pharmacy said they wouldn't dispense it because there was a commercial product out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:07:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The medication in the epipen can be bought in a large vial very cheaply.  You would just have to prep be pre-filling a syringe to match your weight and carry that around with you.
View Quote
I always brought this up when people were bitching about the price. And a lot of people called me an idiot....
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Epi Rifle, chambered in 6.5 Epi.  Delivers relief at 2,700 fps.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:13:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Don’t get stung?

In all seriousness there isn’t a lot of options that I’m aware of. If it’s just a mild allergy then Benadryl might be effective enough.
View Quote
I'm going to guess Benadryl won't act fast enough.  If you go anaphylactic it will happen fast.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:16:17 AM EDT
[#33]
If you are MILDLY allergic, you don't need an epipen
Epipens are for life-threatening allergy ONLY--as in Anaphylaxis and death
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Um.. How often do you encounter bees?

I have bee hives and work with bees, get stung about once a year.

Before I got bees, it was pretty rare. Like decades.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]
The generics are incredibly cheap and essentially the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you are MILDLY allergic, you don't need an epipen
Epipens are for life-threatening allergy ONLY--as in Anaphylaxis and death
View Quote
Allergic reactions are hard to predict.  You can get stung many times with no issues.  Then the next time BAM Anaphylaxis...

If your MILDLY allergic you probably better have an epi handy.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#37]
It's actually $110.  not $10.

Adrenaclick
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Friend of mine just sold his Harley because he almost died from a bee sting.  A bubble suit is probably your only alternative to the epipen.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I always brought this up when people were bitching about the price. And a lot of people called me an idiot....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It was probably one of your posts where I first heard about it and then researched it more.

Most places that mention epipens require by name an epipen.  Schools won't take the risk.  In fact the schools here won't even stock their own epipens, each student is responsible for buying and bringing in their own and having it stored in the main office.  So a school may have a dozen epipens sitting in the office expiring every year.  I believe their expiration is 1 to 2 years.  Schools take their stance out of liability concerns, which really sucks the laws are written that way, but I understand the schools position.

It is a complete scam by the FDA and the maker of the epipen.  The FDA is moving very slowly to adopt any new auto-injectors even though competitors have been out for years.  Until someone is approved and then proven in the real world, schools aren't going to change the option they allow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correlation does not equal causation.

I keed! I keed!
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:44:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Mildly allergic does not require an intervention with an epi-pen

So, put on your big boy pants and carry some benadryl.

I'm also "mildly allergic" and have been bitten by bees, wasps and other stinging critters while riding my motorcycle.
Al you're going to get is a nice sized welt and some itching.
View Quote
Try reading up on the subject.  People who have mild reactions on the incident of being stung, have a good chance of going into anaphylactic shock on the second round.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm pretty well versed.

FF/EMT for 12yrs and also spent time in the ER.
Never saw any cases of anaphylactic shock from somebody mildly allergic to a bee sting.
A severe allergy perhaps.....

Man up............................
View Quote
That's probably why you were just an EMT and not a doctor.  Still, it's concerning that you worked as en EMT and was ignorant of how sensitization to allergens works.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#45]
This thread is scaring me. Last 3 times I have been stung by a bee have been in the right bicep. Two were right after the other and the next about 5 years later. Both times my bicep got swollen and body was tingly worse the second time. I'm sitting here with goose bumps just thinking about it. I should probably keep some Benadryl on hand just to be safe ?

Edit, they were not honey bees. More like angry pissed hornet things that live in the Western Sierra's.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:24:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Adrenaline = epinephrine
View Quote
Adrenaline is a histamine blocker / vasoconstrictor? I somehow doubt that. (I could be wrong, but that seems incorrect.)

Learned something new....thanks GD
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:42:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just found out I'm mildly allergic to bees.  How do I protect myself without going broke?
View Quote
Did the doctor give you a script for epipen or epiphenprine?

Insurance if you have it should cover the pen (probably with qty limits). Call pharmacy ahead, currently there are regional shortages of Epipen and the generics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:14:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
That'll go over well if you're stopped by the cops.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or if you need the thing and can't breathe.

The autoinjector was designed so you could easily self-administer, or so that anyone around you could easily administer the dose instantly. It works, and the now-released generics cost about $15. If you have a bee allergy that could go anaphylactic, you should carry one. A serious allergic reaction can kill you very quickly. There's a reason allergic reactions go to the front of the line at the ER.

<------ bee allergy, gets stung once every other year or so despite being careful
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top