Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2023 11:11:22 PM EDT
$100-120 range, forged. Don't need fake damastic patterns. What's a great kept secret? Only requirements besides forged are good ergonomics. Just something that fits good in the hands, is fun to cook with and looks sharp.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Nobody can tell you what feels best. I'd recommend visiting a cutlery shop and handing a few.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:31:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Japanese or German. Shun or Wusthof. Pick whichever fits your cutting style better.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:36:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunMojo] [#3]
An 6" knife should cover 90% of kitchen duty. $100 buys you a pretty good German knife when you find a deal. Zwilling (Henckels) are great and not a lot of difference between that and Wustof - I have both, Wustof costed a bit more.
You may find a decent Japanese knife here and there, but they'll usually run a little more.

If you go Henckels, don't buy the Henckels International BS. Make sure it's made in Germany. Should have twins on it, not a single guy. See below. Also look for the full forged knives and not just the "flat" full tang blade.

Attachment Attached File

I came across this, but have never used a knife with that "ridge". Looks like a well made knife for a good price.
https://cutleryandmore.com/products/zwilling-pro-smart-ridge-chefs-knife-35113
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:46:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CajunMojo:
Also look for the full forged knives and not just the "flat" full tang blade.
View Quote

If I didn't explain it right, this is what I mean. The one on the right will be cheaper, but it will also "feel" cheaper IMO and I like the balance of the one on the left better. The steel may be just as good, but not 100% on that.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 12:30:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
Mercer. Not sure if forged, but it's a professional grade working knife. My Henckels collect dust.

I use the hell out of a Victorinox boning knife.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 2:47:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By gtsteve03:
Japanese or German. Shun or Wusthof. Pick whichever fits your cutting style better.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/11/2023 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
You have to go handle them for yourself, personally I don't like the Japanese style handles went with a couple of Kramer.
Handles feel better to me, mor ergonomic.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
You have to go handle them for yourself, personally I don't like the Japanese style handles went with a couple of Kramer.
Handles feel better to me, mor ergonomic.
https://shop.americastestkitchen.com/media/catalog/product/p/r/prodpage_tray3_bobkramerchefsknife_2x.jpg?quality=90&bg-color=255,255,255&fit=bounds&height=300&width=300&canvas=300:300
View Quote

Everyone in my family loves that carbon Kramer chef knife. A bit out of OP's price range though.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been slowly phasing all my Shun stainless out for a few different brands of Japanese carbon knives from Bernal Cutlery.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#10]

If I didn't explain it right, this is what I mean. The one on the right will be cheaper, but it will also "feel" cheaper IMO and I like the balance of the one on the left better. The steel may be just as good, but not 100% on that.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/zw2_JPG-3056312.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/59505/zw1_JPG-3056313.JPG
View Quote

That second knife, was one from the set I ordered initially and forgot to make sure it was forged. Just assumed it was because of the name. Of course, it was not. Lulz. I forgot to check back on this thread. Went with this one and the price was decent.  It's a Christmas gift, so it wouldn't have helped to test one out myself.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Isn't that Chinese?  
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:22:59 PM EDT
[#12]
China
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't that Chinese?  
View Quote

Son of a bitch! I can't win. I guess I was fooled by the "forged GERMAN steal" part in the description. Man, they are getting trickier and trickier with this shit.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I got a Wusthof extra wide 8" chef's knife.  I use it almost everyday and use the 'sharpening' steel every time and a wood board.

The extra wide part means the widest part of the blade is about 1/4 inch wider than the standard so you don't bang your knuckles on the board.

It's been longer that you'd believe and I've never had to sharpen it.

Other knives may be as good but you'll like it and it will last forever.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 2:19:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Rincon_11:

Son of a bitch! I can't win. I guess I was fooled by the "forged GERMAN steal" part in the description. Man, they are getting trickier and trickier with this shit.
View Quote
Looks like you ordered from Amazon, you have a little time from placing the order to cancel it.
Link Posted: 12/12/2023 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
Looks like you ordered from Amazon, you have a little time from placing the order to cancel it.
View Quote

Nah, not doing a third round. It was everything I'm looking for and has really good reviews. I'll gamble on it. Just didn't want to give China money if I didn't have too.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Heads up.. WOOT has a bunch of Wustof knives on sale sale including 2 Ikon chefs.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Hobs98:
Heads up.. WOOT has a bunch of Wustof knives on sale sale including 2 Ikon chefs.
View Quote

Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:04:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CajunMojo] [#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Isn't that Chinese?  

I've heard good things about them. I just wouldn't buy personally.

Not sure I trust a Chinese company when they tell me they use German Steel. Even if technically true, what's the quality of it? Does that mean they Chinese set up a shop in Germany and is cranking out steel? I have no idea, so I just stay away.

Related: My wife bought this a couple of months ago and damn, It's hard for me to want to use a different knife after trying it. Just such a smooth slicer.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/gihasa16.html

Originally Posted By Hobs98:

I did a quick search and show a bunch sold out. edit: Found these... The Chef knife isn't a screaming deal, but not bad either.

6" Chef
6" Utility
3.5" Paring
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 8:49:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Ikon are gtg. The grip shape is nice esp if you have larger hands, but weight is biased toward the grip so it's not the best for pinch grip/speed. Plus I personally dont like bolsters that run all the way down to the cutting edge, Classics have them, Ikon do not.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Mercer. Not sure if forged, but it's a professional grade working knife. My Henckels collect dust.

I use the hell out of a Victorinox boning knife.
View Quote
Second vote for Mercer.

My cousin is an executive chef and he put me on to them. Told me that Mercer knives are what you'll find in most professional kitchens.

I couldn't be happier with my set and they're not expensive at all.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Gotta say, this thing is still sharp as a razor and slices like it's new. Wanted to hate it because of the bullshit way they market it, but it's a great knife.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:35:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Genin] [#23]
With modern steel making, forging isn't as necessary as it once was.  Sure, plenty of steels will benefit from having their metal further compressed, but there are plenty of modern steels today that are better than the forged steels of previous generations.  

Many of the improvements come from how steels can be alloyed and produced in controlled environments, and from modern heat treatment (including cryogenic) techniques.

ETA:  I make knives and for kitchen knives I don't have forged as a requirement..ergonomics and steel type does make a difference though.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta say, this thing is still sharp as a razor and slices like it's new. Wanted to hate it because of the bullshit way they market it, but it's a great knife.
View Quote

plus b/c of the BS you won't feel the need to baby it as much. Like getting that first good scratch on a gun.  After that it's like all well it's just a tool either way.

the ergos on that knife actually look pretty nice to me, like the handle sits a bit high (I have giant hamburger-helper hands).
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 11:31:17 PM EDT
[#25]

I came across this, but have never used a knife with that "ridge". Looks like a well made knife for a good price.
https://cutleryandmore.com/products/zwilling-pro-smart-ridge-chefs-knife-35113
View Quote
I have a couple of these and they're fairly legit.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 8:06:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 1:51:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 1:53:04 PM EDT
[#28]
I've got a lot of chefs knives from nice makers, big and small. Japanese and German mostly, certainly all the "big names," most in the $150-$250 range, but some more and some less.

My hands down favorite has become Messermeister. These ones- https://www.messermeister.com/collections/german-knives-meridian-elite

The price is decent (they have good sales pretty frequently), the balance is great, but the steel is the big difference. It takes an edge very easily, is hard to chip, and still holds an edge longer than any of my other knives.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:35:25 PM EDT
[#29]

That second knife, was one from the set I ordered initially and forgot to make sure it was forged. Just assumed it was because of the name. Of course, it was not. Lulz. I forgot to check back on this thread. Went with this one and the price was decent.  It's a Christmas gift, so it wouldn't have helped to test one out myself.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42439/Screenshot_20231212_085158_Chrome_jpg-3057306.JPG
View Quote

I wish Dalstrong would die, it's retard shit. Get a Tojiro or something.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 8:54:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mc556] [#30]
Amazon has a killer deal on Japanese market VG10 KAI knives
Around $70 and they are nearly identical to the Shun Classic US market version.  I’ve had two for about a year now and they perform way above the price.
     They are typical Japanese geometry which is to say very fine razor edge.   Definitely a soft vegetable or fine grained meat cutter.
Search using Magoroku knife there are a few patterns
Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top