Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:39:20 AM EDT
[#1]
You're missing an important thing here.... I AM the local warlord. And my Spaghetti Os damn sure aren't rusty!

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thats the problem, wealth only means something if you can actually use it.

If you can’t convince your local warlord to part with a rusted can of spaghetti-os because he has no use for a gold coin, what good is it?

It doesn't protect wealth if it isn't easily bartered.  And even if you could convince someone to trade, that 1k in gold could get you a skunked six pack of natty lite and a stale twinkie.  

Gold is worthwhile in a stable economy with the means to utilize it.  In a collapsed state?  It's likely it  won't protect shit imho.   Maybe after a societal rebuild, I suppose.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And they traded all their tangible wealth/gold for a moldy biscuit.

Butbutbut wealth preservation, amiright?

View Quote

Some used it to flee a country.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:49:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The economy crashes.  No bread in the bread lines.  Neighbors cooking his dog over a burning tire.  Your kid's goldfish is looking mighty scrumptious.  

There's nothing around that recognizes your wealth. Your latest trade for a oz was for a half empty tank of propane, ironically your neighbor got a loaf of sourdough for one of his pmags.  Sweet, Switzerland likes gold, but you're stuck in Topeka, and shit sucks for you.

How exactly is a kurg preserving your wealth in this situation?
View Quote

Same scenario; how much will a Believe It's True coins (nothingness) going to buy you? They are out there on the interwebs but your stuck in Topeka without a computer, you sold it to a pawn shop month's ago to buy a half tank of propane. Besides that, nobody can afford internet service, everything is dark.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What in the fuck about my statement about no intrinsic worth leads you to think I believe anything different about bitcoins?
View Quote

What in the fuck about my statement leads you to think it should be taken serious at all?

To clarify, we are in agreement about the intrinsic value of both.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:01:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Same scenario; how much will a Believe It's True coins (nothingness) going to buy you? They are out there on the interwebs but your stuck in Topeka without a computer, you sold it to a pawn shop month's ago to buy a half tank of propane. Besides that, nobody can afford internet service, everything is dark.
View Quote

If third world shitholes have working internet a post civil war US will too.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:12:39 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the last time I bought was about 2 years ago.  Gold is essentially flat over that time - silver is up close to 90%...  

The change in ratio is what surprised me.  I really should have finished buying my wife's weight in silver while it was cheep...  

----
In a true shtf scenario - commodities will be basically the only thing that has true value.  The problem with most commodities, in a shtf situation they are not easily portable and often have a deteriorating shelf life.  In a rebuilding scenario, gold/silver might have value.  People will be scratching their heads why people ever valued crypto.  Honestly, the only real value I see in crypto right now involves illegal activity and hiding a money trail.  Maybe it is paying for illegal activity, maybe laundering money from an illegal activity, or maybe tax avoidance...  The only other "value" is gambling.  I think it will go up in value in the future so I will buy it today - even though it has no intrinsic value yesterday, today, or tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:20:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I don't care what you have to trade or what the perceived value in whatever currency, you will trade it all for food. Even your children.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The price is being manipulated.
View Quote

This.  A lot.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:19:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Because people realize shiny trinkets won't do shit for you if the dollar really collapses.
View Quote

This.

If I have something to sell/barter in a truly collapsed economy... it's going to be for shit I need (food, medicine, ammo, tools, parts).

Gold is only worthwhile if you manage to use it to escape or live to see the new government after the boogaloo.  Brass lead and copper are always worth stockpiling.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. Money that would have flowed into gold is now moving to crypto.
View Quote

There is no evidence to support this

Proof Gold is NOT Losing Market Share to Bitcoin
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:03:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't care what you have to trade or what the perceived value in whatever currency, you will trade it all for food. Even your children.
View Quote

Wrong on the last part.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#12]
when gold isn't worth anything to anyone neither is your life. remember that and pray it doesn't every get to that point.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:36:12 AM EDT
[#14]
PM threads have always a beacon for poor people.  “Ewe gold..you can’t eat it... Just Look at those pointy elbows..she needs a cheeseburger...”.    

4 pages, and nobody pointed out that gold isn’t actually down.   I saw OP, and was expecting a nice buying opportunity.  No dice.
Considering the stock market, PM’s should be down.  But aren’t.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
PM threads have always a beacon for poor people.  “Ewe gold..you can’t eat it... Just Look at those pointy elbows..she needs a cheeseburger...”.    

4 pages, and nobody pointed out that gold isn’t actually down.   I saw OP, and was expecting a nice buying opportunity.  No dice.
View Quote

Who the fuck buys gold to eat?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:41:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Sold gold to buy GME shares and calls to make mega bank.
Then buy back gold when its down for slow growth boomer gains
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:46:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lead is in high demand on this forum................
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How is it possible that gold price is going down while 1/3 of cash in existence was printed over the course of the last 6 months?

Only reason I can think of is people are going broke and selling what they own.

Someone smarter than me, please explain.

Lead is in high demand on this forum................

You say????
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 11:48:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Capital always flows to where it can make the most money efficiently.

That is not Gold right now. It seems that it's in the market currently.

Mean Reversion is also at play...playing on a few technical formulas, you can see that gold trades in a range with a nice average move upwards.

You you are a technician, then gold's fair value should be 1950-2000 right now based on the charts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most people can’t think past their next meal.  Look up 10 posts.   There’s a guy fantasizing about selling (or buying) children for food.  .  
Most people had their entire perspective formed by Hollywood.    They can only envision “Happy Free Guberment Monies World”  or “The Road”.        Nothing in between.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 12:24:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Mean Reversion is also at play...playing on a few technical formulas, you can see that gold trades in a range with a nice average move upwards.

You you are a technician, then gold's fair value should be 1950-2000 right now based on the charts.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/277411/GOLD_JPG-1799009.JPG
View Quote

Interesting.  Can you post a longer term chart?   Say, from 70’s to present?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:04:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought AMC at $2.17.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a grand of AMC yesterday. It was at like 4 and change so I knew worst case scenario it wasn't going to move much.

It's up 70% since I purchase it

Buy meme stocks

I bought it at close today and I'm up 65% lol
I bought AMC at $2.17.

@glockluv @woozman @JAG2955 what made you guys buy AMC?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I bought a grand of AMC yesterday. It was at like 4 and change so I knew worst case scenario it wasn't going to move much.

Buy meme stocks

I bought AMC at $2.17.

Heavily shorted
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Heavily shorted
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy meme stocks

I bought AMC at $2.17.

Heavily shorted

My wife was like "people will want to go to the movies when this COVID bullshit is over." Wish I would have bought thousands.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:31:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Because, people are ditching gold and buying brass/copper/lead.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Even by it's historical charts gold is highly speculative, trying to trend that is a fools errand. There was a 30 year period of time where gold was one of the worst investment you could have made, I look at the last decade as yet another anomaly in a relatively stagnant commodity.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:36:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Most people can’t think past their next meal.  Look up 10 posts.   There’s a guy fantasizing about selling (or buying) children for food.  .  
Most people had their entire perspective formed by Hollywood.    They can only envision “Happy Free Guberment Monies World”  or “The Road”.        Nothing in between.
View Quote

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Amazing that the "you can't eat ___" is only ever said about gold, yet you can say the same thing about dollars, bitcoin/cryptos, stonks, ammo etc.

Gold and Hyperinflation Lessons from Venezuela
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same thing that made me buy PLTR, CCIV, PLUG, and as of two days ago Nokia and AMC.

They are meme stocks being pumped on Wall Street Bets (Reddit)

I missed the Gamestop and Blackberry $$$ so wanted to get in early on the other two
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

My comment was a bit tongue-in-cheek. Amazing that the "you can't eat ___" is only ever said about gold, yet you can say the same thing about dollars, bitcoin/cryptos, stonks, ammo etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkeMqUNw87c
View Quote

Yeah using Venezuela as an example saying gold is king, when it was Bitcoin that really allowed people to move wealth and get access to hard currency.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:24:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Gold is OK.....bitcoin, meh. If you are talking commodities then I'm going with pork belly!

You guys may not trade a case of 5.56 for a pound of gold during the apocalypse, but how about 10# of sugar cured smoked bacon?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Gold is OK.....bitcoin, meh. If you are talking commodities then I'm going with pork belly!

You guys may not trade a case of 5.56 for a pound of gold during the apocalypse, but how about 10# of sugar cured smoked bacon?
View Quote

In a SHTF situation, metals will likely be used for exchange. They become a means of exchange just like paper is now. They made for a simple economic system that is much more efficient than simple barter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:05:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Gold isn't as rare as you think. It isn't even that hard to get anymore with modern mining methods. Thing is those said methods are quite destructive so lots of areas that would otherwise be rich in gold like California won't allow mining.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

In a SHTF situation, metals will likely be used for exchange. They become a means of exchange just like paper is now. They made for a simple economic system that is much more efficient than simple barter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And how can a new currency (metals) be used for exchange when NOBODY has ANY?
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Why do you stock geniuses always start talking about "you can't eat gold." I don't think you can eat shares of GME or AMC either, but you guys are beating off to that.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#34]
deleted
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why do you stock geniuses always start talking about "you can't eat gold." I don't think you can eat shares of GME or AMC either, but you guys are beating off to that.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Regency

Some things like savings accounts, money market accounts, Certificate of Deposits, etc are time deposits. There are usually restrictions on withdrawals.

Your checking account however is a on-demand deposit. The bank has to have that cash available for you.

M1 and M2 are different measures of currency and credit in circulation. M1 is a component of M2. So M1 + others = M2.

If checking accounts are part if M1 and CDs are part of other, money is moving from other to M1.

It's like 4 + 4 = 8 going to 7 + 1 = 8. 8 being M2. It's shuffling the numbers around.

You would move money from time deposits to on-demand deposits if you are worried you won't get your money back. In 2008 we were hours away from money markets freezing. If that happened, who knows if or when you would get your money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXkTEWldTfk
View Quote

Anyone who has a CD about to expire is looking at the next place to put it.   Given the returns on CD's it's just not producing what it was making liquidity sound like a better option.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 9:59:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Currency, paper or precious metal, is the same as barter. Currency just serves as a placeholder until I decide what I want to trade it for after I traded you something for the currency or precious metal. No matter if it is currency and/or precious metals or goods and services you are hawking unless it holds meaning to the person that has what you want, it's worthless. In the end I am stuck with bacon and ammo and you have....well.....gold!
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Last time silver went to around 40 dollars I sold and paid for most of my house. Monster boxes for the win.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:09:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Even by it's historical charts gold is highly speculative, trying to trend that is a fools errand. There was a 30 year period of time where gold was one of the worst investment you could have made, I look at the last decade as yet another anomaly in a relatively stagnant commodity.

https://goldprice.org/charts/history/gold_all_data_o_usd_x.png
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://goldprice.org/charts/history/gold_all_data_o_usd_x.png

Lets put on our thinking cap. What did we have during that “Stagnant” period?      

We had CD’s and Bonds that paid high interest rates.    Rates above inflation.       If we had the ability to earn 10% or 8% or 6%, hell, even 4% risk free, we wouldn't be looking twice at any Pm’s.

Gold investors want stagnant.    They aren’t expecting big gains, but are only looking to protect their savings from inflationary devaluation.  That’s it.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top