Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2024 9:16:42 PM EDT
Headed in for a Red Wings game on Saturday.  I'll be with my son 24, daughter 18.  Staying at the Marriott across from the R center.
Good bar?
Cool buildings to check out?
Bring a shovel?
Visit Shinola again?
What else to do?
we have Friday after 5 till the game Sat 6:00.

Years ago I'd take my two sons this time of year and see the Red Wings play and hit the auto show.  Great time but it's been awhile.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:17:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Pepper. Angus.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d have a hard time giving money to any business in that shithole city. Any place you spend your money is likely owned/staffed by people who hate you and your beliefs.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you checked the weather?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:25:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't go into Detroit unless I was in something like a Bradley Fighting Vehicle....
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:28:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Headed in for a Red Wings game on Saturday.  I'll be with my son 24, daughter 18.  Staying at the Marriott across from the R center.
Good bar?
Bring a shovel?
Visit Shinola again?
What else to do?

Years ago I'd take my two sons this time of year and see the Red Wings play and hit the auto show.  Great time but it's been awhile.
View Quote

Borat (member here)  and his family own/run a really good BBQ shop just outside of Detroit called Nikola’s. The food is really good and portions are quite large… they were #2 for BBQ for a number of years here in Detroit, and that’s saying something. They are just north of 10 Mile road on Telegraph.

They have a bar in the back too.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Dibs on your stuff.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Coc Violation

This is totally a parody of the Going To Israel thread in team, right?

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
John King Used Books is a local institution. Gun books are on the 2nd floor, with the hunting stuff, Military is on the 3rd floor.

https://www.johnkingbooksdetroit.com/

Greektown is pretty safe, lots of good places to eat.

Astoria Pastry Shop is worth the trip.

https://astoriapastryshop.com/?page_id=3154&y_source=1_NTI1NTcwNzAtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLm1lbnVfdXJs

Grab a coney at American Coney Island

http://americanconeyisland.com/home.htm

Have fun.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You have our gratitude!
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Its not nearly as shitty as I thought. IN THE DAY,download a Detroit tour on your phone and follow it in the car,its quite fun. Enjoy the game.We ate at Slow's BBQ joint and liked it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Beavis and ButtHead - It's So Cold in the D Music Video
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
John King Used Books is a local institution. Gun books are on the 2nd floor, with the hunting stuff, Military is on the 3rd floor.

https://astoriapastryshop.com/?page_id=3154&y_source=1_NTI1NTcwNzAtNzE1LWxvY2F0aW9uLm1lbnVfdXJs

Have fun.
View Quote

Keep aware while in Greektown especially summer weekends. There have been incidents with youth “packs”.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]
MaxCast was a cool dude. Will miss his insights in to casting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Enjoy! I still haven’t been to the new arena. I need to make a weekend of it with the wife soon.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:40:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Go to Gray Ghost. Awesome place for food right near the rink.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Enjoy! I still haven’t been to the new arena. I need to make a weekend of it with the wife soon.
View Quote

It’s quite awesome.

Enjoy OP. It’s gonna be super busy around there with the game going on but it’s a good time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Not beat, you do not have my gratitude!

OG Dr.Klahn all up in the Arf GD son.  

Do you drink and care OP?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:55:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Friday after 5 is when weather will be the worst
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:01:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Keep aware while in Greektown especially summer weekends. There have been incidents with youth “packs”.
View Quote

Ghetto goblins tend to stay inside when it's cold.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Sweetwater tavern for good food and drinks

Green dot stables

Motorcity brew works

Atwater brewery

American coney

Grand trunk is a good bar

Honest johns is the spot for breakfast.

The sugar house

Mercury bar

All these places besides grand trunk and the sugar house will be good for the 18 year old.

I dont hang out downtown anymore since moving to day shift. But those are my old hangouts.

The Henry Ford in Dearborn is a world class muesum

You can take a tour of the F150 plant and watch them get assembled.

I just had some friends come into town for metallica and they were blown away how nice the downtown is.

Big steps have been made to improve the city. Still plenty of work to be done.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
The most prosperous city in the world.  In 1945.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:11:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Gotta lose your mind in Detroit, Rock City.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
The Beavis and Butthead was great.  I actually like it.
Definitely looking for a bar with good cocktails that will accept 18 yos.

including the suggestions above:
Room 1904
Jocobys
Buhl Bar

Ford Rouge tour
some cool architectural building (forgot the name)
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:26:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I think the ice rink at campus martus park is open. Ice skating in the middle of the city is cool

I hope you enjoy Detroit. I don't live in the city but I work there.

Lots of hard working, proud people here.

Still watch your six though. It IS detroit after all haha
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Oh

Stay out of highland park

Royal oak is really nice
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:23:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Nooooooooooo not Detroit
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Oh

Stay out of highland park

Royal oak is really nice
View Quote

I doubt someone coming for a game would ever find themselves in Highland Park. And if they did they would likely be all “Whoa!  Jesus Christ, what the fuck?!” very quick and unass the area.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Good bar?
Bring a shovel?
Visit Shinola again?
What else to do?
View Quote

10mm pistol be mandatory, yo.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:45:16 PM EDT
[#32]
If no one has listed it yet, the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn is one of the world's finest museums of technology. You can easily spend 2-3 days there.

Where you're staying, you will want to make a beeline to Greektown or the RenCen (if that seafood restaurant on the 1st floor is still there) for dinner and the like. Otherwise, stay in your hotel after dark. You may actually be at the Marriot RenCen now that I think about it. Just stay inside it after dark.

EDIT: Joe Muer Seafood is the restaurant I was thinking of, and it is still there.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I wouldn't go into Detroit unless I was in something like a Bradley Fighting Vehicle....
View Quote

The area around the sporting arenas is pretty safe these days.

...a few blocks away, however...
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:58:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's really, really nice.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:02:11 AM EDT
[#35]
The "Triple Threat" at Slow's BBQ is worth the trip.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I'd have a hard time giving money to any business in that shithole city. Any place you spend your money is likely owned/staffed by people who hate you and your beliefs.
View Quote
What a stupid post.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:26:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Visit this house:

[Spoiler][/spoiler]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:32:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Only losers go to American Coney Island.  Lafayette  is the place to be after the bars close.

Always hit the Post  before and after the game.  Thought it closed but I guess not.

Please be advised my recommendations are based on Detroit in the Eighties, the real Detroit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Wife and I found a place called rhapsody in southgate … not far from where you are.

Awsome authentic Hungarian food in a nice family setting. Goulash comes out in a little cast iron kettle and the chicken paprikas was excellent.

They also have chicken wings as an appetizer in a creamy paprika sauce… best wings I’ve had in a long time.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I doubt someone coming for a game would ever find themselves in Highland Park. And if they did they would likely be all “Whoa!  Jesus Christ, what the fuck?!” very quick and unass the area.
View Quote

Just goes to show what a difference people can have in opinion…. For sure, HP is a rough area…. But I used to do URBEX there all the time.

Thugs pick easy targets. Don’t be one-I had one incident where a goblin was going to follow me into a building and I stood at the entrance and laser stared his ass with my hand under my coat until he turned 90 and realized he should be somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#42]
The area around the stadiums and Greektown is great on game days when all the suburbanites come to town.  Can be kind of scary on non-game days.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Have fun.
View Quote

I like your list with one exception.  In my opinion Lafayette Coney Island (next door to American - the owners are/were apparently feuding relatives) is much better. I suggest OP try one of each and draw his own conclusion.

It's hilarious to watch the tiny little Greeks (about 5000 of them seem to work behind the counter of the two Coney Islands, depending on the day) kicking out the Detroit homeless and cussing them up and down.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:41:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Here's a tourist attraction you won't find many people recommending:

If you take Woodward Avenue north out of Downtown, between 6 and 8 Mile on the East side of the road, you will find a bunch of big, gigantic Black tranny hookers. Huge guys walking around in the freezing cold on big platform stripper shoes.

I cannot imagine who the hell picks them up, but they are there.

I also once saw two coyotes (the animal, not the Mexican human trafficker) standing across the street from one of the aforementioned trannies.

Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Went into downtown once. Once was enough. There were locals waiting in front of our car when we went to leave. Do not recommend. Just go north and rent snowmobiles instead.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:46:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here's a tourist attraction you won't find many people recommending:

If you take Woodward Avenue north out of Downtown, between 6 and 8 Mile on the East side of the road, you will find a bunch of big, gigantic Black tranny hookers. Huge guys walking around in the freezing cold on big platform stripper shoes.

I cannot imagine who the hell picks them up, but they are there.

I also once saw two coyotes (the animal, not the Mexican human trafficker) standing across the street from one of the aforementioned trannies.

View Quote

When was this?  I've driven that route hundreds of times and can't say that I've seen a single big, gigantic black tranny hooker.  Have seen a few crack looking hookers over on Gratiot but that's about it.  Woodward between 6 & 8 is where I see the hobos that wear 14 coats at once.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:47:07 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Went into downtown once. Once was enough. There were locals waiting in front of our car when we went to leave. Do not recommend. Just go north and rent snowmobiles instead.
View Quote

Tip Up Town?  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top