Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2018 11:42:26 AM EDT
Can any of you tell me about Glycine watches (quality wise)? Apparently they have been around for a long time but was bought out by Invicta 1-2 years ago?

Apparently they are most known for their "Airmen" line but I am more interested in their "Combat" line, specifically the Combat Classic 43 GL0110

Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I think all Invicta does for them is marketing and distribution.

Go here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f18/
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 12:53:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Depending on who you ask, the quality went down after the acquisition.

I've been tempted, but the QC can be a little spotty.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#3]
The guys on my crew at the FD bought me one for my 50th Birthday. It didn’t hold up to my lifestyle and I sent it back for repairs a couple of times. No joy. It’s been laying dead in my drawer for years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 6:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The guys on my crew at the FD bought me one for my 50th Birthday. It didn’t hold up to my lifestyle and I sent it back for repairs a couple of times. No joy. It’s been laying dead in my drawer for years.
View Quote
Are you saying you wore an automatic while working as a fire fighter?

I'm not sure I'd blame the watch.

I was a police officer, I knew enough not to wear an auto to work.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#5]
The subs I see at Sub 400$ prices seem very high quality witht be exception of the Lume.

They seem appropriate for the money.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plenty of us have worn autos, be it a 150$ Seiko or several thousand dollar Rolex for decades of swimming, cast and recovery, diving, static line, free fall, shooting, sub zero mountains, 120 degree deserts, south and central Amercian jungles, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I have been wearing a Glycine Combat Sub daily for the last few months
(Purchased Used -- 2017 build)

Keeping great time -- about .5 second/day fast

Lum is not great -- my Bulova Marine Star blows it away, my Deep Blue Master 1000 is about he same

No issues -- Wears Great

Massdrop is selling the Combat Sub for about $350 currently -- alot of choices available currenlty

UK
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info guys.

I already have a Steinhart Ocean 1 so don't really feel the need/desire for another low-mid range diver but I am looking for a causal dressy watch with clean but classy face and leather band.

On the lower more casual end, I've considered a Seiko 5 SNZG15J1 with maybe a leather NATO? (which I may get regardless just because of the price) but I've also considered something more upscale like the Hamilton Field Khaki?

I really like the smaller more understated markings of this Glycine. A little more classy without looking old man'ish IMO? But the iffy quality and poor lumes puts me off?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:13:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had few when Massdrop started selling them and I really liked them for the price. They were super think so they fit perfect on the wrist.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Good watch.  Best part is they are thinner than most.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 12:12:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good watch.  Best part is they are thinner than most.
View Quote
I have to say this is a strong point.

Rolex has great Lume.
Seiko has great Lume.

Fortis has mediocre Lume and crown issues.
Omega has mediocre Lume and I don’t really like their modern watches.

Marathon is very tall for their diameter, but good Lume.

Glycine has fantastic diameter to little height, but horribly weak Lume.

Sinn has good Lume, and can be had witht the least cluttered up dial possible.

I keep meaning to try some others, like Longines, zodiac, Breitling, etc.

I am dying for a fifty fathoms, but the entry fee really turns me off.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Plenty of us have worn autos, be it a 150$ Seiko or several thousand dollar Rolex for decades of swimming, cast and recovery, diving, static line, free fall, shooting, sub zero mountains, 120 degree deserts, south and central Amercian jungles, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, none of which is running into a burning building or fighting felons into cuffs. Daily.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 4:31:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, none of which is running into a burning building or fighting felons into cuffs. Daily.  LOL
View Quote
Yeah.
Nightly on and off blackhawks, chinooks, or in and out of pandurs, strikers, hiluxes, climbing over stonewalls, fences, on and off of roofs, crawling under fences, rounding up several kicking, squirming savages savages in flexi cuffs, being in a blast radius, etc. just doesn’t compare.

How many cops have been on two or three objectives in a single night with bloody bad guys on the ground?

Number of structural fires responded to, let alone rushed into for the average fireman is?  Number of times they do it naked with their watch exposed?

I know a handful of FFs, a handful of LEOs, and a bunch of paramedics wearing Seiko, TAG, Rolex, etc. with but some scuffs of the dive bezel after years of service.  With the paramedics likely getting assaulted and strapping people down more than the average LEO.

I can’t express how ludicrous and childish the concept of the watches not standing up to it sounds.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 8:57:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:49:18 PM EDT
[#15]
i had a glycine sub briefly

lume was crap, the thin case was nice for wearing with button ups and slacks to work, the bezel was cheesey and flimsy, the dial quality and finishing was bad considering the higher 2013 retail prices (i got it gray market back then for close to the nowadays blowout prices). but it was very very accurate
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 2:39:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have to say this is a strong point.

Rolex has great Lume.
Seiko has great Lume.

Fortis has mediocre Lume and crown issues.
Omega has mediocre Lume and I don’t really like their modern watches.

Marathon is very tall for their diameter, but good Lume.

Glycine has fantastic diameter to little height, but horribly weak Lume.

Sinn has good Lume, and can be had witht the least cluttered up dial possible.

I keep meaning to try some others, like Longines, zodiac, Breitling, etc.

I am dying for a fifty fathoms, but the entry fee really turns me off.
View Quote
No complaints about the lume on my Seamaster 300

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:07:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Maybe it has been upgraded recently.
Examples of some friends and co workers seemed not to last as long as the superluminova mix on saw, a Seiko or sub five or ten years ago.

I only have one Omega.

My best out of the box new Lume I had was a Seiko 6309.  The direct applied tritium paint used then was great.  A ton better than the promethium that replaced it.  The watches that use the tritium tubes are great Lume, but I miss the entire indice coverage you used to get before it had to be in tubes.

It’s a mixed bag.
Tritium paint and tubes will not provide significant Lume decades later.  But when new they are always flowing great.
The real good superrluminova mixes seem as bright decades later as they did when new, but don’t stay super bright all night unless hit with some light again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top