Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2024 10:37:00 PM EDT
I've been using a simple recipe for a rib glaze that most everyone really likes, BUT I want to give it a kick and need help.
I tried a variance of the recipe below and it didn't turn out like I wanted.
See below for the current awesomeness, the NEW concoction, and the perceived disappointment of the new concoction.

Current Glaze tha everyone loves:

1 cup brown sugar.
1/2 cup Whiskey
1/4 catsup
1 stick of butter
5-6 minced cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce

Throw all the above in a saucepan and cook it about 3-5 minutes.

The above has always been great on ribs and as a finish for pork steaks when you let it carmelize on indirect heat after cooking.

The NEW concoction that everyone loves - except me ( it's stll fantastic, but there's no real 'kick':

1 cup brown sugar.
1/2 cup Whiskey
3/4 cup of finely minced chipotle in adobo sauce ( pretty substantial substitution, IMO )
1 stick of butter
5-6 minced cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce.

The Chipotle in adobo sauce is loved by everyone here.  We love the kick and know it doesn't take much to turn your mouth on fire.

But guess what?!?!?!?!!?  The new concoction hardly gave it a kick at all?!?!?!?!?

Questions as to why the taste didn't reflect the substitution of the chipotles for the catsup :

1- Did the brown sugar nullify the peppers?
2- Was it the whiskey?
3- I'm missing something and you're going to tell us.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
When I want to substitute something with a kick for catsup I use Hoff N Pepper Smoking Ghost catsup.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#2]
https://hoffandpepper.com/collections/hot-sauce/products/new-hoffs-smoken-ghost-ketchup
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:54:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
When I want to substitute something with a kick for catsup I use Hoff N Pepper Smoking Ghost catsup.
View Quote

The chipotle in adobo sauce is spicy.  Trust me if you haven't experienced it for yourself.

Adding Chipotle should have worked!!!!

I have to believe it was either the whiskey or the sugar.

What am I not seeing?
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
https://hoffandpepper.com/collections/hot-sauce/products/new-hoffs-smoken-ghost-ketchup
View Quote

I'm buying it.  Thank you for the link!

You think that's what I'm missing???
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:04:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By tree-hugger:

I'm buying it.  Thank you for the link!

You think that's what I'm missing???
View Quote

Not sure but I have never had a problem with any of his sauces. It's not so hot it nums your lips and tongue. It does have a good kick to it. Everyone here loves it. I have to buy the 1/2 gallon size.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 7:52:30 AM EDT
[#6]
You diluted the Chipotle with a sweetness
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By douglasmorris99:
You diluted the Chipotle with a sweetness
View Quote

You think dropping the brown sugar to 1/4 cup would do the trick or throw it out altogether?
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#8]

You think dropping the brown sugar to 1/4 cup would do the trick or throw it out altogether?
View Quote

Or add more chipotles.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 9:58:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By MainePure:

Or add more chipotles.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MainePure:

Or add more chipotles.

The amount of chipotles I put in there should have done the trick and any more would be a waste if I used the same amount of b. sugar.

The next batch will have 1/4 cup of b. sugar and will see how that tastes.  That may also alleviate the sugar burn when I'm not paying close enough attention during the caramelization phase.

Thanks for all the replies!  You all certainly narrowed it down for me.

I don't know when I'll make ribs again, I still have a rack to reheat for leftovers.  Probably in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 2:44:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#10]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Subnet:
I've never made it, but out of curiosity, did you include the adobo sauce as well in that 3/4 cup of minced chipotles the recipe calls for? The sauce itself has a bit of a kick, over the chipotles themselves.

3/4 of a cup is, near as makes no difference in a recipe this size, a smidge less than the contents of a 7oz can. So if it were me (and since this is being used as a glaze), I'd pour the whole can in the saucepan along with all the other ingredients and blitz the shit out of it with a stick blender, vs standing there and mincing those messy and slippery chipotles. It'll save time on mincing the garlic, as well.

If I didn't own a stick blender (saves dishes ya know), I'd pulse it all in a food processor. And if I didn't own a food processor, I'd pulse it in a blender.

Try that next time you make it, before changing anything else.
View Quote

I did use all the sauce.  I minced it with gloves on.  Didn't take long and I only had to clean the cutting board and knife.

I like your blender or food processor idea, but I hate cleaning that stuff for small jobs.

The first pepper from that 7oz can went into the Chili Crisp concoction I made after reading the Chili Crisp Eggs thread here.

When I attempt this again, I'll back off both the sugar and chipotle.  I know how much kick they have from adding it into my chili.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top