Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2018 7:50:09 PM EDT
Hi All,

In response to a GD thread, I am interested in making gizzards this weekend.

I always prep my wife's stuffing every year, and that includes trimming her gizzards (chicken).

I was not a fan of the gristly crunchy shit she came to the homestead with, so I corrected her

However, I hear stewed and fried gizzards are a southern delicacy.  So, how much to trim?  I normally cut of the silver skin and wrinkly light colored part, leaving the dark, liver colored pieces.

I also read simmering for an hour is good... but some say it's not needed...  I was looking to ultimately fry them in oil.

What do you recommend?

Thanks !
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The men at my house just rinse em, batter em and fry em....but momma always boiled the shit out of them before she fried them in water with an onion and celery...she boiled em like that for about 2 hours before she fried them.

Use your favorite fry mix or batter if you want them parboiled and fry em til they float in the oil....deep fry is the best fry of course.

We put hot sauce on them...some Red Rooster or some other Louisiana hot sauce.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:13:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't care how you fix 'em.  Love me some gizzards.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Pressure cook them and they become tender.  Then you can bread and deep fry them or do just about anything with them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Would a slow cooker be an option?  I don't have a pressure cooker.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
My grandmother fed us gizzards all the time, and am still eating turkey gizzards  at thanksgiving.  Simmered in pot with neck, back, heart celery leaves, pepper and onion.  Until tender, and trim off the grizzle.   Granny would boil us up potful of chicken gizzards for lunch, but boil past the tough stage into the tender stage.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Love chicken and turkey gizzards and hearts.

My gout hates them.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Would a slow cooker be an option?  I don't have a pressure cooker.
View Quote
The key word is slow.  Pressure cooker is fast.  Life is short, buy that Instant Pot.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#8]
If anyone is interested..

I halved the gizzards and soaked them in buttermilk and a little old bay for 24 hours.  Then drained them and dredged in seasoned flour.  Fried for a couple minutes.  They were good.  Crunchy, but not gristly...  Pretty easy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top