Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2023 4:29:31 PM EDT
I am in my 50s & have always loved hill running & climbing. I was obsessed with it. The last three years injuries & depression put the weight on me.

I had surgery in late July for a torn meniscus & when they got in there the surgeon discovered severe grade 3 Osteoarthritis. He removed 30% of the Meniscus but said my pain is coming from the Osteoarthritis.

I do all the pt exercises religiously but I am still unable to hike, squat. It is killing me not being able to go hiking or do any hills.

I went for my six week post op last week & he gave me a Kenalog injection & said the knee will probably need to be replaced.

I go back to him October 25th. I want to lose 30 pounds. to take some of the pressure off the knee before then. I can ride my Mountain bike on smooth bike trails, can't do rowing due to the knee bending too much. My cardiovascular endurance is still very good, resting Hr in the 40s & I never get out of breath.

I've never lost weight without extreme exercise so I'm looking for suggestions? I've given up cokes, eating once a day & thinking about doing a water fast. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By photog51:

I've never lost weight without extreme exercise so I'm looking for suggestions?
View Quote

You lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.  The above statement only goes to show how messed up your diet is.  Get that straightened out first or all your other efforts will be wasted.

As to exercising with your bad knee, do you have access to a pool?  Swimming is about the most effective cardio exercise there is and it's virtually zero impact.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m in the same boat as you OP

Got so bad I couldn’t ride my mtn bike any further than 3 miles on single track.  Doc says both knees past shot.

Ran into an old trail building buddy and he kept on and on about E mtn bikes , how great they are, a real “ game changer”.

I thought about it. Did some, no , a ton of research. Picked out the one that would be a perfect fit for how I liked to ride.  $ 9,000.

Now do I want to spend that much money ?

Not really.  How much is a gym membership?  Building my own gym?

If riding this bike will put me in shape where I can live for one more year, is it worth it?

Fuck yea!!!

I can pound out 15 miles in an hour and a half with an average speed of 12mph with a shit eating grin the whole way .

Hills cease to exist. Bike can push 65 miles in eco. My ass is only good for 15 so far , even cut way down on the booze so I can feel good on my ride.

I’ve set up out of town road trips to hit the best trails in all my neighboring states .

If you’re busted up, want to get back into shape, start looking forward to tomorrow again?,

Get an E mtn bike. “” it’s a game changer””.

Guns, investments, trophy wives, night vision, don’t mean shit while you’re having fatal heart attack !

Feel free to pm me op.

BIG-DUKE-6 out .
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:30:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TangoFoxtrot] [#3]
Knee over toes guy exercises might help rehab the knee
https://www.youtube.com/@TheKneesovertoesguy

A review video
How To Fix Knee Pain For Life! ft. Kneesovertoesguy

Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#4]
"I go back to him October 25th. I want to lose 30 pounds. to take some of the pressure off the knee before then. "

Better get on the Keto train.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#5]
E-bikes provide very little real exercise. The're fun, but the engine is doing most of the work.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Another vote for swimming.
It takes time because you have to do a LOT of laps every day to burn calories, but there is no weight on your knees. Another option is weight lifting, which burns lots of calories fast but you need to be very careful about how much leg work you do with a bad knee. The machine setups where you are sitting for most of the lifts takes the pressure off of your knee. Doing both would be best.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BIG-DUKE-6:
I’m in the same boat as you OP

Got so bad I couldn’t ride my mtn bike any further than 3 miles on single track.  Doc says both knees past shot.

Ran into an old trail building buddy and he kept on and on about E mtn bikes , how great they are, a real “ game changer”.

I thought about it. Did some, no , a ton of research. Picked out the one that would be a perfect fit for how I liked to ride.  $ 9,000.

Now do I want to spend that much money ?

Not really.  How much is a gym membership?  Building my own gym?

If riding this bike will put me in shape where I can live for one more year, is it worth it?

Fuck yea!!!

I can pound out 15 miles in an hour and a half with an average speed of 12mph with a shit eating grin the whole way .

Hills cease to exist. Bike can push 65 miles in eco. My ass is only good for 15 so far , even cut way down on the booze so I can feel good on my ride.

I’ve set up out of town road trips to hit the best trails in all my neighboring states .

If you’re busted up, want to get back into shape, start looking forward to tomorrow again?,

Get an E mtn bike. “” it’s a game changer””.

Guns, investments, trophy wives, night vision, don’t mean shit while you’re having fatal heart attack !

Feel free to pm me op.

BIG-DUKE-6 out .
View Quote

Lots of E bikes around here,  they used to pass me flying up the hills. I will look into them again.  I'm gonna try to do 3 miles on my bike this evening.  I did pretty well on the sit down bike yesterday so I will see how it goes. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:41:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By AL-BOB:

You lose weight in the kitchen, not in the gym.  The above statement only goes to show how messed up your diet is.  Get that straightened out first or all your other efforts will be wasted.

As to exercising with your bad knee, do you have access to a pool?  Swimming is about the most effective cardio exercise there is and it's virtually zero impact.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By photog51:

I've never lost weight without extreme exercise so I'm looking for suggestions?

No pool around here. Will have to do it on a bike. It's a lot more stable and stronger than it was but I know carrying less weight will make a big difference. Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By engineer61:
Another vote for swimming.
It takes time because you have to do a LOT of laps every day to burn calories, but there is no weight on your knees. Another option is weight lifting, which burns lots of calories fast but you need to be very careful about how much leg work you do with a bad knee. The machine setups where you are sitting for most of the lifts takes the pressure off of your knee. Doing both would be best.
View Quote

I have done a lot of sitting leg presses just using one leg (50lbs) and that has helped. Lots of stretching and quad exercises too.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 1:49:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TangoFoxtrot:
Knee over toes guy exercises might help rehab the knee
https://www.youtube.com/@TheKneesovertoesguy

A review video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miqsg9DGPX0

View Quote

The walking backwards uphill really helps. I use one of the straps like the Monkey feet he sells to strengthen it. It's amazing what he can do. It's just gonna come down to eating right and exercising but not over doing it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2023 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Swimming.  I have the same issue.

Unfortunately, out pool is out of commission for at least another year. I walk as much as I can, but the pain can be overwhelming.
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 9:51:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:
"I go back to him October 25th. I want to lose 30 pounds. to take some of the pressure off the knee before then. "

Better get on the Keto train.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

First post nailed it again.  Your lower body joints get impacted more by how much weight you load them with.  If you are over weight you need to fix your eating habits.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 11:25:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Get them both redone. Schedule it now !!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top