Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2021 9:15:34 PM EDT
Just looking for some thoughts here. I currently drive a 2018 F250 Lariat  Powerstroke FX4. It's a nice truck, and I absolutely love it.  I very rarely tow or haul anything to justify even having a truck, much less a 3/4 ton turbo diesel.  It's leveled on 17s/35s and has some minor mods (bumpers, lights, etc.). With today's used truck market, I could sell it, pay off the note, and pocket about $35k.  

A few years ago, I took up fly fishing and travel to Colorado several time a year to fish.  With this, I kinda got into the "overlanding" scene. I think the term and the resulting Instagram queens are ridiculous, but I appreciate the vehicles and the opportunities they can provide.  Everything I've done to my truck has been to make it more off-road capable, but it's still an F-250.  It's simply too large to go some of the places I want to go.  

My parents have a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser.  My mother drove it since new and recently replaced it with a new Tahoe.  It has about 150k miles on it, and is in excellent shape mechanically and cosmetically.  

I'm considering selling my truck and buying the Landcruiser.  Not only is it one of the ultimate "overlanding" vehicles (again, I hate that term, but it describes its intended use), but the cash from the sale of my truck would help get us through our increasingly expensive wedding in a few months. The LC would get some mods and would be used as a DD and for several vehicle based camping/fishing trips every year.

I think the LC would be a dependable daily driver for a while, and I would buy another truck down the road.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:35:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I am of the opinion that post emissions diesels should not be privately owned out of warranty if you don’t straight up tow more than a gasoline truck can regularly. The risk of being exposed to a 5 figure repair bill is just too great.

The truck has an insane resale currently AND getting rid of it will save you thousands later.

Absolutely keep the Land Cruiser.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Id take the lc and make a dedicated overlander. Id keep the 250 for dd or get a 150 since you don't tow...
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:40:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell no! Landcruiser are complete shit!cant count how many have come through the auction lot, engine noise, interior falling apart. Pure shit.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Hell, if you don't want to buy it let us know. I do a LOT of work overseas in very very remote mountainous open pit mines and Land Cruisers are the ONLY thing tough enough to take it, and they are tough and I am talking about beyond fucked up "roads".
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Every foreign NGO runs Landcruisers exclusively, and there’s a good reason why. Toyota trucks and SUVs are pretty much the default vehicle in much of the world, especially in the third world. I had a contract position at an NGO in their photo library, and anytime there was a vehicle in a photo, it was always a Toyota, either a land cruiser or a hilux pickup; I even saw Toyota FJ40 from the 60’s, still being used, beat up but functional. Only one I saw a domestic vehicle. Only once did I see a Land Rover, but from decades back.

Look up 4Xoverland on YouTube- he was once a Land Rover guy and now builds and uses Toyota’s.

Link Posted: 1/12/2021 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id take the lc and make a dedicated overlander. Id keep the 250 for dd or get a 150 since you don't tow...
View Quote

Totally and exactly on the F150.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hell no! Landcruiser are complete shit!cant count how many have come through the auction lot, engine noise, interior falling apart. Pure shit.
View Quote
wat
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#8]
What's your location OP?  I've been looking for the right landcruiser to come along.
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Hell, if I hadn't just bought a 4Runner 2 weeks ago I'd love to buy it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 12:32:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Perhaps you're speaking of Land Rovers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I have an off road vehicle that I take on tons of trails, rock crawling, and car camping pretty much every weekend. I cringe when I hear someone say "overland"

Can't go wrong with an LC, the 100s are pretty nice creature comfort wise.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd trade 4 fords for one clean LC.

Dont spend that money on your wedding, put it into something that lasts more than a day.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 10:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I see more Land Cruisers in the junk yard than F250s.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Affluent junkyards I suppose?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

I assume you mean land rovers?
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:10:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I assume you mean land rovers?
View Quote

That would make way more sense. Land Cruisers are in high demand and are getting big aftermarket support. If I were in your position, I'd keep the truck and just buy the Land Cruiser for the build. Having a project car for a daily driver can be a real challenge.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:31:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That would make way more sense. Land Cruisers are in high demand and are getting big aftermarket support. If I were in your position, I'd keep the truck and just buy the Land Cruiser for the build. Having a project car for a daily driver can be a real challenge.
View Quote

Yup, most landcruisers I see for sale are still close to 10k, mechanically sound and anywhere between 200-400k miles. My aunt and uncle have had two, sold with over 200k miles, still mechanically sound but approximately 10-15 years old. They have a tundra that had over 400k on it before mice got the harness, it had a very rough life from 200k-400k as a farm truck on a commercial produce farm. Their daughters 4-runner is 12 years old, everythings still solid on it. Theres a company or two that rebuilds older land cruisers, early 80's to early 90's, makes some upgrades, etc and they are close to new prices, some going for over 6 figures. These rich people want them for end of world reliable emp proof vehicles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top