Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2020 2:00:54 PM EDT
I have not had German Potato Salad in years probably decades and the last time I'm pretty sure it was out of a can.

Sticky, syrupy, yuk.

For lunch today I vowed to make it from scratch and boy was I glad I did!

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/83097/authentic-german-potato-salad/

NOT HEALTH FOOD! Like I care. Made a 1.5x recipe that called for a half-pound of bacon (thick cut) as well as all the bacon grease rendered from cooking it.

Fricking AWESOMENESS. I had no idea that it was that easy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Love GPS, mom used to make it a lot when I was a kid, whenever we had cookouts and such. I've got a GREAT recipe for red cabbage we got from our German maid while in Germany circa 1948-1960. Let me now if you want it. I'll send it when I get home tonight. GPS, RC, and some pork schnitzel makes a great easy meal.

@ThePontificator
@GrendelsBane

Here you go.
1 Head of red cabbage      1 cup of RED WINE    1/3 cup packed brown sugar   1 Tsp salt   1/16 tsp Cayenne pepper   4 small red apples  1 cup apple cider vinegar   1/3 cup of bacon drippings

Wash cabbage, slice with mandolin slicer or knife as desired. Put all ingredients (except vinegar) into large cast iron skillet. Dice and add apples. Cover and simmer on med-low heat for 20-30 or until as tender as desired. Add vinegar and serve.

Simple and damn good. I usually add a little more cayenne as I like it that way. Let me know how you like it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#2]
you should try german cole slaw aka pepper slaw
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Zhukov potato salad rants are best potato salad rants.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 4:31:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Love GPS, mom used to make it a lot when I was a kid, whenever we had cookouts and such. I've got a GREAT recipe for red cabbage we got from our German maid while in Germany circa 1948-1960. Let me now if you want it. I'll send it when I get home tonight. GPS, RC, and some pork schnitzel makes a great easy meal.
View Quote

Sounds good!

Why not post it to this thread? I'm sure others would like to see it, too.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#5]
One meal, multiple threads?
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Love German potato salad!  Not that good for ya though.  
What’s not to love about potatoes, bacon, sugar, vinegar.  It checks all the boxes on my taste buds.
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Love German potato salad!  Not that good for ya though.  
What’s not to love about potatoes, bacon, BACON DRIPPINGS sugar, vinegar.  It checks all the boxes on my taste buds.
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 7/11/2020 10:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

@44-40pro

Looking forward to seeing your mom’s red cabbage recipe!
Link Posted: 7/14/2020 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My grandparents roots were from Austria most likely.  They made tater salad with mustard, eggs, relish, and Miracle Whip.  Boiling taters with the skin on was the key to the slightly sticky of the mix.

The entire family drools when they see the yellow.  

I still have a quart in my fridge that I made last weekend.
Link Posted: 7/23/2020 6:02:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Red cabbage recipe looks good esp the BACON DRIPPINGS part.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top