Boomers are the softest generation is the history of humanity

Literally every generation ever has had it harder
View Quote

They sure had it easy.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Boomers were the beneficiaries of the largest easiest economic expansion in the history of humanity...then when that ran dry they indebted the rest of us while simultaneously offshored all industry to the 3rd world...now expect us to host the entire world of illegals so their "social security" checks keep coming...
But ya boomers had it "hard" apparently
View Quote
But you bought an iphone. Idiot. Who buys a 1200 dollar phone and avocado toast.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:48:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I admire boomers. They are hard workers.  They know a lot.  They are the only ones of thier time who actually had kids. In other parts of the world, there is no millennial generation. I've learned a lot from boomers. One of the reasons I come to this site is boomer wisdom.

Actually,  boomers were coming of age in the 70s. They dealt with high inflation and unaffordable housing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 12:58:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I admire boomers. They are hard workers.  They know a lot.  They are the only ones of thier time who actually had kids. In other parts of the world, there is no millennial generation. I've learned a lot from boomers. One of the reasons I come to this site is boomer wisdom.

Actually,  boomers were coming of age in the 70s. They dealt with high inflation and unaffordable housing.
View Quote

Well it’s silly to hate a whole generation.  There are great people and worthless people.  Both Gen Z and Boomers.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:04:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Once again, we will witness the fight between those who point out economic realities, versus the bootstrappers who insist that reality has no impact on your earnings potential.
View Quote

Are the company men here yet. Who insist it’s normal working more hours than an antebellum slave………
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

These arguments are basically confined to the internet, ime. Basically all the boomers I know are good, decent people, and they get it. They mostly know things aren't the same and have a little bit of empathy, instead of running around spewing venom about how these damn young people are just lazy faggots who fumbled the golden goose

One thing is for sure, they don't have their heads filled with rocks like some boomas on the internet. They can also do math.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:25:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Their kids been at war far longer than they ever were lol.
View Quote

Who was drafted?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:25:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Real men volunteer.
View Quote
A generation of troops willing to fight decades long unfavorable wars voluntarily?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:30:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Half right in your response. The USA is still the best country in the world. It’s just that other countries are worse.
View Quote

This.
Plus.
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid.
Believe me, I would know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 2:50:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What a refreshing and interesting topic..........
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:27:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Gen Zs are screwed. Automation and technological improvements is displacing human labor. Better to own capital than sell your labor. You can try bootstrapping all you want but when you need capital to launch your business, you're beholden to the fat pigs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:37:16 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't know how anyone could look at how wages began to slowly decouple from productivity in the 70s then ramp up in the 90s and 2000s and not see the difference.  You don't even need to factor in home health or tuition prices.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:52:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
They definitely have it harder than the boomers... Boomers could assume the girl they were dating was a girl. Now you don't know what kinda hildebeast you may come home with.
View Quote

In the flip side, for 5 buck you can look at her only fans and verify that she has an acceptable vagina.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
But do they buy more?
View Quote
Based on the few articles I read, actually no. They're more fiscally reserved than millenials.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 3:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomers are the softest generation is the history of humanity

Literally every generation ever has had it harder

They sure had it easy.

https://31f66o1oliie10ubes1dlfni-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/1200px-Vietnam_Memorial_Wall_with_Washington_Monument-1200x630.jpg

My dad has friends on that wall. And I suppose the important lesson is that they learned from this disastrous mistake and never sent their own kids off to a couple different bullshit wars that lasted almost twice as long.

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 4:19:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I see several boomer references to “saving and investing” or “not spending every dime you have.”

1. Sure would be cool if we could get more than 0.25% interest in a savings account during our inflationary years

And

2. The stats show that boomers have no fucking idea how to save instead of spend

Something I’m seeing missed/ignored is education/certification creep. I do the same job as my father (retired). When he started he needed a bachelors and a certificate (his program also had stipends and free books). I needed a masters. People coming out now have to have a doctorate.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:13:40 AM EDT
[#20]
FPNI. The damage has already been done and we're just on our way down
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If we could just get the millennials to stop voting for liberals, everyone would be better off.
View Quote

Aren’t millennials and boomers the democrat’s most loyal voting block?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:14:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Those statistics show what the effect was not how it happened. Important detail.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Hard Times create Strong Men
Strong Men create Good Times
Good Times create Weak Men
Weak Men create Hard Times

Rinse repeat
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
The boomers are to blame for everything since January 1st of 1945 until today so there's nothing that can be done except wait for softer times.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#25]
The whole new generational thing - this is a manufacturer tool of the liberals - gives boogiemen to the weak men among us.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
That’s how free sh*t works.

And taking your money off of anything of value. But really we’ve been done since 1913. It’s finally catching up to us.
View Quote

Fuck you Teddy Roosevelt, and fuck your political ambitions.  You should have just gone to Africa and hunted after you left the military.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:31:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

the world is getting worse and you just expect us to shut up and not think about it? typical boomer response
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the boomer hate warms me
used to feel halfway sympathetic towards the loudest criers in here
now?
fuck’em
you get what you get, not everyone wins
better off figuring out what will make you win rather than cry about it here
if you can’t win, give up

please, please just stop whining for the love of god

the world is getting worse and you just expect us to shut up and not think about it? typical boomer response

Nah, keep crying about it.  Maybe Biden will give all the whiney bitches some Biden bucks.  

JFC, bunch of fucking titbabies.

I'm gen X, boomers had some things easier and others were more difficult.  Every generation goes through good and bad times.  But goddammit the fucking crying an wailing of the entitled is wearing thin.

If it's too tough to "adult", then give up.  Don't fucking care anymore.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:34:53 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Gen Zs are screwed. Automation and technological improvements is displacing human labor. Better to own capital than sell your labor. You can try bootstrapping all you want but when you need capital to launch your business, you're beholden to the fat pigs.
View Quote

Capitalize on this.

Every generation sees a tech shift and changing production methods.  

Our manufacturers will automate every thing they can within the next decade, but they can't fill all positions.

Bootstrapping always applies.  Or you can wait for someone to do it for you, but that most likely won't happen.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:35:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is the population percentage breakdown by generation?

Won't the die off of the Boomer generation cause a huge transfer and dissolution of wealth accumulations?  For instance,  Boomer parents with $xxxxx pass and leave that money divided equally among their 2.3 children?
View Quote

Nah, boomers will reverse mortgage their houses to blackrock and vanguard, buy an rv, pretend they’re forever 25 touring breweries around the country, leave their progeny with jack shit, and bitch about their own children.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 7:37:28 AM EDT
[#30]
Does the 100% more for homes include the difference between +18% interest rates and the 4% ones we have now?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:12:34 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I see several boomer references to "saving and investing" or "not spending every dime you have."

View Quote

Apperantly gen z does save more than millenials, but this thread's mostly devolved into bitching and bitching about bitching instead of a discussion of facts.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Does the 100% more for homes include the difference between +18% interest rates and the 4% ones we have now?
View Quote

Doing the math:

Average home price in 1980 was $55,000. And that was up substantially from the 70s. So giving some benefits that way. I calculated it with an average interest rate of 13% which, is also high as the decade saw an average of 9% interest.

Inflation adjusted, on a 30 year mortgage assuming you didn’t refinance it later on for a better interest rate, you’re at around $746,000 total pay off 30 years later.

Doing the same math backwards:

Average home price in may of 2022 is $388,000. ~259.7% inflation since 1980.

That home is now worth $107,000 in 1980.  30 year loan pay off again, at todays interest rates of 5.9% for 30 year fixed. That brings us to $776,000 pay off.

So yes. Home prices have statistically gone up.

Also the 1980s were peak interest rates. In the 90s you saw 3-5% interest rates - which also would of been peak home buying for boomers.

And 2000+ yeah…

Looking forward: we all know the low interest rate train can’t last forever. We also know home prices are going to continue to sky rocket due to labor and building material costs.  We also know the pay is still stagnant.  We also know my comparison above isn’t right because it’s a lot harder to get your down payment - even using 10% figures - for a larger sum of money.

Barrier for entry and all, is much higher for new home buyers today, than it was for boomers.

Again, math. Y’all can do this yourself you know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:24:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Boomers raised the current generations, millennials and zoomers. They are the ones to blame for any and all of the crap that happens today by both voting for shit people, and raising a bunch of entitled shits.

Boomers have no one but themselves to blame for the hate they get

Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:25:33 AM EDT
[#34]
What was decent money in the 80's is now offered as starting pay at fast food joints.

I understand that was 30+ years ago, but son of a bitch.........
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:25:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

the boomer hate warms me
now?
fuck’em

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a refreshing and interesting topic..........

the boomer hate warms me
now?
fuck’em

Yet another thread making an absolute statement about a group of people - a statement that can be rendered false with just one example.   Also boomer years cross a wide span so the oldest can be considered a separate cohort with it's characteristics, and the youngest, many still engaged in full time employment is a cohort with distinctive traits.   It does, really, get old.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Apperantly gen z does save more than millenials, but this thread's mostly devolved into bitching and bitching about bitching instead of a discussion of facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I see several boomer references to "saving and investing" or "not spending every dime you have."

And the stats show millennials save more than boomers. Yes some boomers will enjoy retirement. Most will not
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:19:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Another boomer bashing thread. How creative.
View Quote

Don’t need boogeymen libtards to light GD up.  Is it as bitter?  I don’t know, close…
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
My zoomer friends are firmly financially conservative, saving and investing aggressively.

I think there will be a hard political shift to the right due to what the boomers did to the zoomers.
View Quote

LOL no...

Demographics are destiny.  Your anecdotal experiences with your (likely) white conservative friends that are reproducing below replacement level won't change that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:41:35 AM EDT
[#39]
Same tired arguments as always. One generation profits and the other generations loses as a result. Simple minded people see things that way.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Yeah, no.  Spread out, the amount being taxed goes up so the amount of taxes goes up as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is the population percentage breakdown by generation?

Won't the die off of the Boomer generation cause a huge transfer and dissolution of wealth accumulations?  For instance,  Boomer parents with $xxxxx pass and leave that money divided equally among their 2.3 children?

That has already begun.  A few years ago they changed the rules for inherited IRA's so you have to cash them out in 10 years verses the rest of your life expectancy.  Ironically, reducing the total amount of taxes they would collect.

Quite the opposite .....most will inherit those during their prime earning years thus maximizing tax revenue.   Spread out over a lifetime the taxes would be much lower.

Yeah, no.  Spread out, the amount being taxed goes up so the amount of taxes goes up as well.

Do the math you and your spouse are in your 40's top earning potential.  Mom and dad both die within 12 months of each other.  You get their IRA and now have to liquidate it within 10 years while paying your current tax rates on what is most likely a 6 figure account.  

Or under the old rules you stretch the dispersal over your life time which allows you to grow the account and minimize the taxable events, something I am currently doing and had I had to liquidate my old mans IRA in 10 years I would have lost more than a 3rd of the account to taxes due to my wife and I's tax bracket.  The mandatory minimums are not even a blip on the radar.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:57:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Turn off the x-box, put down your phone and get a job. Any gen-z know how to start a lawnmower? Mowing the lawn was a staple summer job back in the day. Walking anywhere? Bicycling? Nope, gotta have a fucking new car to get anywhere. 100 bucks for a piece of shit car and patch it together then hope it runs for a few more months was the old way.
Yeah, not an ounce of sympathy for any of the younger generation that drive newer and nicer cars than I do, still live under their parents roof, go out partying every night in their designer clothes.

I love being a cranky old man.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 9:59:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Boomers raised the current generations, millennials and zoomers. They are the ones to blame for any and all of the crap that happens today by both voting for shit people, and raising a bunch of entitled shits.

Boomers have no one but themselves to blame for the hate they get

View Quote

So genX was hatched?
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:01:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Boomer generation was the high water mark for opportunity and success of the USA, it’s heading downhill now and going to quickly get worse, blaming boomers is easy button excuses when millennials and others are as to blame as anyone via supporting free shit, open borders, climate change bullshit, new laws, free healthcare, free college, stupid degrees, refusing to work jobs like plumber, heat / ac, legalizing drugs,  and a ton of other reasons. 1/2 the country supports democrats, democrats support shit that destroys opportunity / jobs , increase taxes, living expenses, etc.

Easier to say, “ fucking boomers ruined everything ! Though, rather than accept their part of blame.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:02:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Turn off the x-box, put down your phone and get a job. Any gen-z know how to start a lawnmower? Mowing the lawn was a staple summer job back in the day. Walking anywhere? Bicycling? Nope, gotta have a fucking new car to get anywhere. 100 bucks for a piece of shit car and patch it together then hope it runs for a few more months was the old way.
Yeah, not an ounce of sympathy for any of the younger generation that drive newer and nicer cars than I do, still live under their parents roof, go out partying every night in their designer clothes.

View Quote

The boomers at work are the ones nose deep in Facebook, Jose now cuts grass for boomers that won’t hire a child due to liability issues, and since cash for clunkers the used car market has been shit.

“Oh no, Soylent is people. Anyway…”
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

80% of all dollars ever printed happened while:

1.  Your generation was in charge.

2.  You were at your generational peak in careers when the money printing happened.

Just by that simple math, boomers had it significantly mathematically easier than any other generation.

Just admit it that you looted the country for yourselves. Especially your generation politicians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomer here…say what you will but you he generation before us had it very easy. During my 20’s (house buying time) housing prices exploded. My dad bought and built his custom ranch house on 2 acres for under $5k. His land was $200.00 that was in 1958.
My wife and I were looking at $40k houses and my dad said “wait” this crazy market will come down. 2 years later we had to spend $205k for our first house.
We did not have I easier than any other generation.

2.  You were at your generational peak in careers when the money printing happened.

Just by that simple math, boomers had it significantly mathematically easier than any other generation.

Just admit it that you looted the country for yourselves. Especially your generation politicians.

AOC supports huge spending, lots like her, same age group, plenty eager to print more, and they have HUGE support.  They just passed a massive new spending bill, with huge tax increases,  hiring 87000 new irs agents, open borders, and a thousand other things designed to destroy opportunities for the middle class.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:07:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I see several boomer references to “saving and investing” or “not spending every dime you have.”

1. Sure would be cool if we could get more than 0.25% interest in a savings account during our inflationary years

And

2. The stats show that boomers have no fucking idea how to save instead of spend

Something I’m seeing missed/ignored is education/certification creep. I do the same job as my father (retired). When he started he needed a bachelors and a certificate (his program also had stipends and free books). I needed a masters. People coming out now have to have a doctorate.
View Quote

Want to know why you're not going to be rich? You have to take a risk when investing. If you're thinking the bank savings will make your retirement well....let us know how well that paid off when you're 80 and still doing whatever it is you're doing.
As far as education is concerned, I'll bet a plumber/electrician/HVAC tech etc. doesn't need a doctorate to make a ton of money more than most.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:09:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The boomers at work are the ones nose deep in Facebook, Jose now cuts grass for boomers that won’t hire a child due to liability issues, and since cash for clunkers the used car market has been shit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cash for clunkers was Obama, and Obama wrecked the USA, Obama allowed open borders and illegals who steal jobs, hog up used cars, rentals, housing and free shit, millennials, and others  cold not vote hard enough, fast enough for that shit, then wanna blame boomers when they voted to support dumbass policies that resulted in high prices, loss of housing, job loss, high taxes, they voted to raise their own prices, / cost of living, voted to raise their own electric bills, raise house prices, raise their own fuel prices. That’s what happens when you support stupid policies and vote for stupid politicians who hate your country and you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:13:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Boomer generation was the high water mark for opportunity and success of the USA, it’s heading downhill now and going to quickly get worse, blaming boomers is easy button excuses when millennials and others are as to blame as anyone via supporting free shit, open borders, climate change bullshit, new laws, free healthcare, free college, stupid degrees, refusing to work jobs like plumber, heat / ac, legalizing drugs,  and a ton of other reasons. 1/2 the country supports democrats, democrats support shit that destroys opportunity / jobs , increase taxes, living expenses, etc.

Easier to say, “ fucking boomers ruined everything ! Though, rather than accept their part of blame.
View Quote

Which decades do you see at the high water mark?  

If it's the 50s and 60s, then the generations that benefited from it were the greatest and silent generations.  Boomers were mostly under 18 during that time period.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Doing the math:

Average home price in 1980 was $55,000. And that was up substantially from the 70s. So giving some benefits that way. I calculated it with an average interest rate of 13% which, is also high as the decade saw an average of 9% interest.

Inflation adjusted, on a 30 year mortgage assuming you didn't refinance it later on for a better interest rate, you're at around $746,000 total pay off 30 years later.

That home is now worth $107,000 in 1980.  30 year loan pay off again, at todays interest rates of 5.9% for 30 year fixed. That brings us to $776,000 pay off.

Also the 1980s were peak interest rates. In the 90s you saw 3-5% interest rates - which also would of been peak home buying for boomers.

And 2000+ yeah

Looking forward: we all know the low interest rate train can't last forever. We also know home prices are going to continue to sky rocket due to labor and building material costs.  We also know the pay is still stagnant.  We also know my comparison above isn't right because it's a lot harder to get your down payment - even using 10% figures - for a larger sum of money.

Barrier for entry and all, is much higher for new home buyers today, than it was for boomers.

Again, math. Y'all can do this yourself you know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doing the math:

Inflation adjusted, on a 30 year mortgage assuming you didn't refinance it later on for a better interest rate, you're at around $746,000 total pay off 30 years later.

And 2000+ yeah

Looking forward: we all know the low interest rate train can't last forever. We also know home prices are going to continue to sky rocket due to labor and building material costs.  We also know the pay is still stagnant.  We also know my comparison above isn't right because it's a lot harder to get your down payment - even using 10% figures - for a larger sum of money.

Again, math. Y'all can do this yourself you know.
You cannot compare home price directly.  You have to compare what goes into a home.   Lots of 70's and 80's era homes were base model homes.  Cost effective, efficient and not loaded with "dream home" stuff.  Hardly any builder builds a starter home these days.  Like a stripped truck, no one buys them.  Every one wants a fireplace, fancy kitchens, granite tops, hardwood floors, great rooms etc.
Link Posted: 8/16/2022 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

AOC supports huge spending, lots like her, same age group, plenty eager to print more, and they have HUGE support.  They just passed a massive new spending bill, with huge tax increases,  hiring 87000 new irs agents, open borders, and a thousand other things designed to destroy opportunities for the middle class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Boomer here…say what you will but you he generation before us had it very easy. During my 20’s (house buying time) housing prices exploded. My dad bought and built his custom ranch house on 2 acres for under $5k. His land was $200.00 that was in 1958.
My wife and I were looking at $40k houses and my dad said “wait” this crazy market will come down. 2 years later we had to spend $205k for our first house.
We did not have I easier than any other generation.

Average age of The 117th Congress is 59 years old. Average age of a senator is 60 years old.

Them be boomers in charge my dear.

7% of the 117th Congress are millennials.  Approximately the same number are of the “greatest” generation. Before boomers.

There’s 1 millennial in the senate.

Again, you have a false narrative. This is all being driven, marketed and approved by… boomers.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top