Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2021 10:17:28 AM EDT
Recently had my gas meter moved from the basement to the front of my house - the shut off valve is there now as well.

Should I be thinking of ways to secure that valve now that it's street-facing and could be messed with (of course it still needs to be quickly unlocked in an emergency)

If so - what's out there to do this besides a padlock?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:38:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve never heard of it being done as an act of vandalism. It probably wouldn’t be a problem until you eventually lose the key (not discovered until the day the Hvac crew is there replacing your furnace).
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#2]
DON'T lock the gas valve!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Find a way to add some landscaping that hides it instead.

Locking a shut off is a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:06:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DON'T lock the gas valve!!
View Quote

Yes, this more or less defeats having one.

Funny story, I know a guy who after getting pissed off by Jack N the Box drive through at breakfast time,  he pulled around, parked, walked over, shut off their gas then put one of those round locks on it that you pretty much have to cut off with a torch.  

Can't really torch off the lock on a gas meter for obvious reasons.

He went back after work and they were closed, lock still in place and service folks there looking at the grills to figure out what was going on with them.
He said the next morning he drove by again and they were still closed. That night they must have figured it out and we're back open.

He says, he thinks they called a locksmith to come open the lock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 11:20:54 AM EDT
[#5]
i thought the lock was only in the position of off so the gas company doesn't get ripped off.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 3:17:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Figured as much but wanted to ask

I'll just plant more around it

thanks all
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are looking for something for casual anti tampering, go to www.bradyid.com . They have plastic devices to fit over valve handles to prevent accidental or intentional movement. Used various types all the time in the power industry.

Can also attach a breakaway plastic seal for quick access, or even just a tyrap around the existing valve handle. Easy to break once the valve handle is moved. And easy to visually check if it’s been tampered with.

You do not want to lock any valve that prevents it from performing its safety function, whether it is closed or open.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Locking a shut off is a bad idea.
View Quote

That's an understatement.

What happens if you have a major gas leak somewhere in the house?

Are you going to be running around inside a gas-filled house, looking for the keys to the lock?

I hung one of these next to my shutoff:

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Leave plenty of room to service the Meter Manifold. You can't obstruct access and Gas Co is not responsible  if your million dollar plantings get trampled or removed as a result. Never saw an issue of your concern in 30+ years of fucking with meters.
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 6:36:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Are you going to be running around inside a gas-filled house, looking for the keys to the lock?

https://th.bing.com/th/id/Ra690f3b5fa505e35e63d89e85e748af6?rik=8ryXd3%2b0KwVAxg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sosproducts.com%2fv%2fvspfiles%2fphotos%2f12346-2T.jpg&ehk=ECELgWQxOGvv0kfRKmp4CJnAu3d9fC%2f6JGOJRQmfJ1M%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://th.bing.com/th/id/Ra690f3b5fa505e35e63d89e85e748af6?rik=8ryXd3%2b0KwVAxg&riu=http%3a%2f%2fwww.sosproducts.com%2fv%2fvspfiles%2fphotos%2f12346-2T.jpg&ehk=ECELgWQxOGvv0kfRKmp4CJnAu3d9fC%2f6JGOJRQmfJ1M%3d&risl=&pid=ImgRaw

Meter is next to door - was going to just hang the key inside the doorway or use a small shit lock.

Obviously if someone wants it off they can go to the street also.

Quoted:
Leave plenty of room to service the Meter Manifold. You can't obstruct access and Gas Co is not responsible  if your million dollar plantings get trampled or removed as a result. Never saw an issue of your concern in 30+ years of fucking with meters.

That's all I need - never had a shutoff outside just trying to think like a shithead who fucks with things for sport. Cheap bushes with some space it is
Link Posted: 1/28/2021 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#11]
OP....If you want  some form of security for the pipes/meter.....Just get some fake plants, fake bush or ivy, and cover it up/camouflage it.

Example....

Link Posted: 1/29/2021 1:57:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Meter is next to door - was going to just hang the key inside the doorway or use a small shit lock.
View Quote

17 years from now - when your water heater suddenly starts spouting massive amounts of raw NG - are you going to remember (1.) that the shutoff has a lock on it, and (2.) where you put the key for it?

Is the lock even going to open after 17 years of weather exposure?
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Remove the valve handle (is there is one), then paint the setting so it all matches.  Valve is now camo'd with some vandalism resistance.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#14]
No one is messing with my gas meter. It physically located in the garage. Not beside the garage, but completely inside the garage. The exterior shut off is 24” deep and needs a meter key.
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 9:58:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Usually the only tampering that happens is when the customer bypasses the valve or the meter. Someone shutting off your valve wouldn't be a major issue.

The only real advice I have to give is if your meter has a regulator on it and you decide to disguise it, make sure its not an external relief regulator. If it is make sure that thing has plenty of room to vent freely
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:50:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

OP....If you want  some form of security for the pipes/meter.....Just get some fake plants, fake bush or ivy, and cover it up/camouflage it.

Example....

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/9f/43/67/9f4367c68bc416484b61bdc7ca1af495.jpg
View Quote

An HVAC unit ina ghille suit... That can't work well.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#17]
That valve is not your property, it is the utilities and technically and legally you aren't even allowed to turn it if you want to go by the book. And you are absolutely not allowed to put ANY kind of lock, seal, or pin on it to lock it in place.

[35 years at a gas utility]

The only people that really play games like that are scuzzy landlords and deadbeats. [turn on or off] If the utility wants you on or off, it's going to happen.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:29:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That valve is not your property, it is the utilities and technically and legally you aren't even allowed to turn it if you want to go by the book. And you are absolutely not allowed to put ANY kind of lock, seal, or pin on it to lock it in place.

The only people that really play games like that are scuzzy landlords and deadbeats. [turn on or off] If the utility wants you on or off, it's going to happen.
View Quote

A valve after the meter would be your property.
The 'corporate valve' belongs to the utility.

Just like the water meter, the electric meter, etc.
Nothing prevents you from installing meters to monitor usage, but that is your nickel on your side of the corporate meter.

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:06:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The 'corporate vale' belongs to the utility.

Nothing prevents you from installing meters to monitor usage, but that is your nickel on your side of the corporate meter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The 'corporate vale' belongs to the utility.

Correct, you have your fuel line shut off after the meter which is house pressure [7IWC] if the customer wants one or if mandated locally and you have the riser lockwing before the meter that shuts off gas to the meter and the house which is line pressure [standard or medium]. You can also blow the meter regulation if turned on to quickly due to the pressure. [low or house pressure regulates the higher service line pressure]
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:32:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Does anyone still make those old style valves?
I have saved them whenever they are removed.
Spray some rust protection on them, give them a few turns and spray more.
Put them in a vacuum seal food bag.

While the grinding to make them is slower than making ball valves, I still like their simplicity.
And for the most part they are tight enough  to not have a problem with the plug rusting to the housing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The 'corporate valve' belongs to the utility.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:41:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

While the grinding to make them is slower than making ball valves, I still like their simplicity.
And for the most part they are tight enough  to not have a problem with the plug rusting to the housing.
View Quote
Plug valves?  Sure.  I've bought them on up to 8" 600#.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 5:48:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still not seeing them in plain old carbon steel for gas lines.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really needed, ball valves are just better in this service.  

I picked up a 1/4" plug valve from the ground years ago, I always intended to make a small overhead setting with it for a desk ornament.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top