Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2021 3:03:42 PM EDT
Alright, my house was built with a normal 2 car garage, so it's not huge, but it only has 1 single bulb light fixture(plus the light on the door opener).  It was also built with a single outlet...but that's another story, and I'm fixing that as well, but that's more straight forward.  

Terrible lighting in there.  I did replace the single bulb with one of those LED screw in lights with the multiple adjustable LED banks, which helped, but I'm ready to spend some money and get a nice lighting set up in the garage.  

I'm looking for 4, probably 8 foot, flush mount, LED style lighting fixtures.  Is this enough?  Better options?  The garage door will cover two  while it's up, but I want to make sure I have light covering the entire garage even when the door is down.  I'll run those two on different switch so they're not on while the door is up.  

How many lumens?  What fixtures?  What temperature?  Brand that's significantly better than othes?  Seems like there's a lot of possible junk fixtures in this LED arena...I don't have anyone locally to discuss or help.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought fixtures (hang from two chains) that came with bulbs from Walmart, they were cheap-ish and I installed them in my uninsulated barn, they've lasted years and work great.

I would just go on amazon and find the style you want that has good reviews, I find 4ft to be more manageable and easier to arrange.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Plug-in LED shop lights.  Run some romex, attach 2 outlet boxes in various locations, makes it easy to replace down the road if they ever fail.  My dad went the other route, he had fluorescent fixtures already, and bought replacement LED bulbs that required removing the ballasts.  Easy enough to wire up, and for him, it was the cheapest way to upgrade to LEDs.  Bright, works in any temp.

ETA:  Agree with 4 foot ones.  4 of them will provide decent light, 8 of them will be a lot of light.  I prefer the warmer color temp, 2700-3000k, but a lot of people like the "daylight" color temp, which is... eh, around 5000k iirc.  Color temp seems to not be measured very accurately.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull out the single bulb base, install an 8 foot 4 lamp LED fixture in the same box and be done with it.

In the garage/shop I use daylight bulbs.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
I have six of these in my garage. It is as bright as full sunlight in my garage.

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Light-Garage-Lighting-Crystal/dp/B01N9D3L4U  <-- 4 pack

https://www.amazon.com/Hyperikon-Light-Garage-Lighting-Crystal/dp/B01N5AZJEM  <-- Single

These fixtures weigh a pound each so they can be mounted straight to a drywall ceiling with no additional support behind (above the drywall). The lights are hung by clever adjustable height cables or you can mount them directly to the cieling (mine hang down 6"). The power wires are cords with two-prong plugs, I cut the plugs off to direct wire them to boxes. Best to read the comments on Amazon and check out the pictures. I'm sure there are cheaper ones (there always are), this is what I got and have been happy with them for three years. I work on cars in my garage.

My *only* dislike about them (and probably LED fixtures in general) is that they take half a second to light up when you hit the switch.

To your questions:
- 8-foot fixtures will cost you fortune
- You want 4000K or 5000K temperature
- Most fixtures are 35W-40W
- Most 35W-40W fixtures output 4,000-4,600 lumens
- Get clear not frosted = more light
- Don't bother with fixtures that have pullchains, you'll never use them

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got 36 8-foot 72 watt/8640LM 5000K "Barrina" style LED lights in a 24 x 36 foot shop on four circuits, giving me four levels of light.

I think they were under $15/each when purchased in a pack of 25.

I purchased short grounded plug in cords from eBay that fit the lights (they come with pigtails and short daisy chain cords) and installed receptacles rather than trying to daisy chain.

It's just about bright enough.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Bought a pack of 10 5000 lumen led fixtures off Amazon. These can use 2 prong plug in cords or be direct wired OR be hooked up in series. All the needed cords were included. I actually now have a very decent amount of
Light in my shop. Zero turnon time and they work even when cold. Replaced 4 double fluorescent fixtures. Put in way more than you think is sufficient.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've got 36 8-foot 72 watt/8640LM 5000K "Barrina" style LED lights in a 24 x 36 foot shop on four circuits....
View Quote
You have THIRTY SIX 8-foot fixtures? Did I read that right?
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 5:24:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've got 36 8-foot 72 watt/8640LM 5000K "Barrina" style LED lights in a 24 x 36 foot shop on four circuits....

Yes.

No kill like overkill.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: You don't really understand what you're missing if you don't have > 100 foot-candle work area.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the flush led 6” can lights, super simple to retrofit, no expensive boxes, Thickness of Sheetrock so they can be fit underneath a ceiling joist. Just buy the right size hole saw at it’s easy.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BQKTK95/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 9:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 6, 6 bulb t8 high bays i scrapped out of a gym and led tubes i scrapped out of a warehouse
I might have $20 into it all..

Its going to look like an artificial sun

If you dont care about used check for demoed out lights on the marketplace or craigslist
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]

They really dont... They make a cone of light... sure you might have 15-20 feet of good light at the floor.. but if you work in your shop, your gonna have shadows everywhere at working height...  you need shop lights every few feet to increase the lumens... I have a small 1 car garage, and have 4 shop lights, with leds and Im still wanting more.. nothing worse having your hand cast a shadow over your work piece... There is a huge difference between lighting and area enough to navigate through it, verses doing work in it...
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:30:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

They really dont... They make a cone of light... sure you might have 15-20 feet of good light at the floor.. but if you work in your shop, your gonna have shadows everywhere at working height...  you need shop lights every few feet to increase the lumens... I have a small 1 car garage, and have 4 shop lights, with leds and Im still wanting more.. nothing worse having your hand cast a shadow over your work piece... There is a huge difference between lighting and area enough to navigate through it, verses doing work in it...
View Quote

For 35 bucks total they work f’ing awesome.
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 10:47:22 PM EDT
[#14]
You're welcome.

You said you wanted 4x8ft fixtures.  Start with 4 of these, then add the other 4 if you still want more light.  Since you can daisy chain them, it's easy to add more.

I have a rather large laundry room, and put three of these in there... and it's absolutely RIDICULOUSLY bright.  Eight of these in a garage, and you'd need sunglasses.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:31:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

For 35 bucks total they work f’ing awesome.
View Quote

This is what I have, and although it's better than what I have, it's not great.

If all you do is walk to your car, or grab something, it's great for $20 I spent, but to actually work and complete projects on a nightly basis in this garage, it's not good enough.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:31:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You're welcome.

You said you wanted 4x8ft fixtures.  Start with 4 of these, then add the other 4 if you still want more light.  Since you can daisy chain them, it's easy to add more.

I have a rather large laundry room, and put three of these in there... and it's absolutely RIDICULOUSLY bright.  Eight of these in a garage, and you'd need sunglasses.  
View Quote

These look like a good option, thank you!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 2:33:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Appreciate all the suggestions, and thank you all for taking the time to write out a response!
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:01:16 AM EDT
[#18]
I have the 8ft Barrina's from Amazon also. Awesome. Inexpensive. Easy as hell to install. Bright as fuck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:12:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes.

No kill like overkill.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103022/44CC90C1-7AAF-4234-9BAF-AB4E5F8AC4F3_jpe-1904857.JPG

ETA: You don't really understand what you're missing if you don't have > 100 foot-candle work area.
View Quote
Dude I've seen some absolutely bonkers pictures on the internet before but holy. fuck.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:13:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

For 35 bucks total they work f'ing awesome.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 35 bucks total they work f'ing awesome.
I'm sure they work awesome if you're pulling your car in and out or grabbing a broom.  They will not suffice for "shop work", just two different applications.
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Deleted
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 8:45:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a BUNCH of info on lighting.  

Garage Journal Lighting and Electrical Forum.

In this thread over there, one of the members designs lighting layouts professionally, and has posted recommended lighting layouts, as well as fixture/bulb combinations.  Search through and find one of his recommendations that closest fits what you're wanting.

Lighting Layouts
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 9:59:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dude I've seen some absolutely bonkers pictures on the internet before but holy. fuck.
View Quote

I'd love to say that the shop is cleaner now, but it would be a lie.

I've also not made any progress on the PLC controls for the lights (to avoid the need for 3 way switches).
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 10:14:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/15/2021 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm sure they work awesome if you're pulling your car in and out or grabbing a broom.  They will not suffice for "shop work", just two different applications.
View Quote

Most people have no idea the difference between the two applications.. seems like every time we have a thread about garage or shop lighting these little home owner specials pop up and people swear by them..
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:35:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Look at the lumens the bulbs produce, then figure out lumens/sqft factoring in ceiling height.  
I went for 50 lumens/sqft, <8ft ceilings.  Used a shitload of 4ft LED tubes.

I'd also highly recommend pulling a 2nd light circuit for a couple of bulbs, and putting them on a motion/occupancy sensor.  That's easily one of the best decisions i've made in my garage.

As-found... shitty fixture in each quadrant with an assortment of bulbs

and now
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:49:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yes.

No kill like overkill.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103022/44CC90C1-7AAF-4234-9BAF-AB4E5F8AC4F3_jpe-1904857.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes.

No kill like overkill.

@mnd  That is freaking GLORIOUS! I agree that there is no such thing as "too much light" (unless it's shining directly in your face).

Your garage looks like my garage. We both need to do some spring cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:37:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Your garage looks like my garage. We both need to do some spring cleaning.
View Quote

You first.  You can be my inspiration.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 7:11:42 PM EDT
[#29]
While I have recommended them in the past I would stay away from the 4’ LED shop lights that Sam’s Club sells. I have had four fail so far this year
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#30]
My garage build I just completed with lighting.  After trying the harbor freight led tubes that hang, I was nt happy with the size & mounting.  I have no outlets near the ceiling & was using a extension cord all the way to a wall outlet.  Looked horrible with all the wires.  I changed to the screw in base LED adjustable light panels like posted earlier. I have a small 2 car garage, & low ceiling height.  After aiming the light panels where I need them I'm good. 8000 lumen.
Here

Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Yep, the $30 two pack of the triple LED lights from Costco are way better than you’d think for general lighting.

I thought they were hokey ‘as seen on TV’ shit, but now believe.

We had two single bulb fixtures, with a Y and two LED bulbs in each. I replaced them with the Costco ‘bulbs’ and it was like the surface of the sun.

The Costco ones at least are legit and totally worth it, for a simple general lighting upgrade. You’ll still want task lights aka shop lights.

In the new house garage I’m going with the Costco LED shop lights. A lot of them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 3:40:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Alright, my house was built with a normal 2 car garage, so it's not huge, but it only has 1 single bulb light fixture(plus the light on the door opener).  It was also built with a single outlet...but that's another story, and I'm fixing that as well, but that's more straight forward.  

Terrible lighting in there.  I did replace the single bulb with one of those LED screw in lights with the multiple adjustable LED banks, which helped, but I'm ready to spend some money and get a nice lighting set up in the garage.  

I'm looking for 4, probably 8 foot, flush mount, LED style lighting fixtures.  Is this enough?  Better options?  The garage door will cover two  while it's up, but I want to make sure I have light covering the entire garage even when the door is down.  I'll run those two on different switch so they're not on while the door is up.  

How many lumens?  What fixtures?  What temperature?  Brand that's significantly better than othes?  Seems like there's a lot of possible junk fixtures in this LED arena...I don't have anyone locally to discuss or help.
View Quote

Costco sells plug in lights. East. Fast. Good brightness. Buy two more than you think you need.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 1:37:15 PM EDT
[#33]
I have a three car garage, al least that is what the builder told us.
It came with two 60W bulb fixtures in it, I removed that cheap ass shit and replaced with some better lighting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top