Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2021 7:00:51 PM EDT
My garage is slowly getting where I want it. Since the heater got installed a few weeks ago, it’s now my brother’s hangout so he can work on the car.

The problem though, is he smokes cigarettes out there and it’s done tight enough that very little air flow comes through to remove the smoke.

What sort of ceiling mounted (or above ceiling) filtration can I add to filter the smokey air?

My buddy suggested can filters, but those look pretty huge.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Put up a no smoking sign instead
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#2]
When i smoked
I wasn't a dick
And went outside
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 8:55:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When i smoked
I wasn't a dick
And went outside
View Quote

When it was 50+ outside, that’s what he would do.

He needs to quit, but in the meantime I want a fresh scented garage.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:14:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You can try "smoke eaters".  They're made for shitty bars with shitty circulation with lots of people smoking.
Better than not having one.  But not as good as having him take his ass outside.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Maybe look at one of those WEN air filters and replace the 1 micron filter with an activated carbon filter.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When it was 50+ outside, that’s what he would do.

He needs to quit, but in the meantime I want a fresh scented garage.
View Quote

What does he do when he is else where in public and has to smoke outside when it is cold out?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:02:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What does he do when he is else where in public and has to smoke outside when it is cold out?
View Quote

Right now there is no public.

Most bars around here have smoking areas outside that are heated in the winter.

He is just lazy. He wants to smoke while working on his car.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You can try "smoke eaters".  They're made for shitty bars with shitty circulation with lots of people smoking.
View Quote

With all the bars closed due to COVID (or being forced to go smoke-free), should be able to pick one up used for cheap.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

With all the bars closed due to COVID (or being forced to go smoke-free), should be able to pick one up used for cheap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bar has a couple and it's hard to tell how effective they are with the volume of smoke. I would actually be curious to see how they did with a lower volume of smoke.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Maybe look at one of those WEN air filters and replace the 1 micron filter with an activated carbon filter.
View Quote

I put the WEN air filtration unit in my wood shop and it's great, especially when cutting cedar (tannin is bitch).
It does have the one micron filter with a five micron prefilter. Not certain what is needed for smoke though.

Amazon, $153

1 micron filters are $27 2/pack
5 micron filters are $22 2/pack

may want to research HEPA filters... Not an expert
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#11]
The little Holmes room-size air filters have a smoke filter cartridge available. It's pretty effective, but not sure if one would be big enough to cover a garage.

Here's the smoke filter element:
https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Smoke-Grabber-Filter-HAPF30AS-U4R/dp/B00C7SCVUA/

There are some different styles of the unit itself, here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/Holmes-Allergen-Remover-Purifier-Performance/dp/B076VTXQJ1/
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 7:20:33 AM EDT
[#12]
You are going to spends hundreds of dollars on devices and filters on a continuing basis, to TRY remove some of the smoke smell that will slowly coat your walls and ceiling and permeate into your surfaces, instead of just telling your "lazy" brother to respect your personal property?

Your issue is not air filtration or smoke......its your relationship with your brother.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You are going to spends hundreds of dollars on devices and filters on a continuing basis, to TRY remove some of the smoke smell that will slowly coat your walls and ceiling and permeate into your surfaces, instead of just telling your "lazy" brother to respect your personal property?

Your issue is not air filtration or smoke......its your relationship with your brother.

View Quote

Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:54:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He is just lazy. He wants to smoke while working on his car.
View Quote

Often not a great idea.
Gasoline fumes are explosive.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Often not a great idea.
View Quote

He is waiting on the shortblock to come back, so no fuel in the car. His wiring is now pretty perfect looking and extremely neat. He also polished the aluminum pieces to a mirror finish.

So, back to filter ideas.

I’ve been looking at the suggestions so far. Some of them will actually double as a welding ventilation system once we get the bench set up for that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

He is waiting on the shortblock to come back, so no fuel in the car. His wiring is now pretty perfect looking and extremely neat. He also polished the aluminum pieces to a mirror finish.

I’ve been looking at the suggestions so far. Some of them will actually double as a welding ventilation system once we get the bench set up for that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Often not a great idea.

Gasoline is not the only thing.
Many polishes and cleaning supplies are flammable also.
Even WD-40 is flammable.

Restaurant Smoke Eaters are probably the best idea.

When smoking was prohibited  by the government in may areas a bunch of
them hit the 'surplus' market.

They are not all that complicated, and replacing filters is not hard.
It can be a littler pricey though.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:05:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Make him a smoking "booth" out side.. it will be cheaper in the long run.. You can never get that smell out of a room..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top