Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 9/1/2022 5:55:00 PM EDT
Source

"In a first for the aviation industry, the FAA has approved supplemental type certificates (STCs) for the use of General Aviation Modifications Inc.’s G100UL 100-octane unleaded avgas in all general aviation piston aircraft. GAMI co-founder George Braly stated that the fuel will initially be produced in small batches while the manufacturing and distribution infrastructure is established. Although pricing for G100UL has not yet been determined, Braly noted it will cost “slightly more” than 100LL until production volume increases.

“This is a big day for the industry,” said Braly. “It means that for a lot of our general aviation communities, and especially for a high fraction on the West Coast, relief is on the way. And it means that our industry will be able to go into the future and prosper, and provide the essential infrastructure for this country for everything from Angel Flights to critical training of our future airline pilots.”"
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, the EPA will move in on leaded avgas soon. I’ll be glad to see it go.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Leaded gas is probably not a real problem.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:12:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Assuming it’s actually good for all the engines long term and doesn’t cost more.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

We know that leaded gas is terrible. The question is whether avgas, which is the leading source of airborne lead, is a health risk. People who love and work near GA airfields have higher concentrations of lead in their bodies and there is no safe level of lead exposure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Assuming it’s actually good for all the engines long term and doesn’t cost more.
View Quote

If the MTBO and price aren’t substantially worse and it doesn’t cause an increase in engine failure then good riddance.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Leaded gas is best gas. If you really want to find gas with lead in it, think back to the good old days with 115/145.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:36:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Isn't the shit they are boosting the octane with, like a million times worse than lead?

Sure the combustion products are fine but fuel tanks leak, and MTBE / Benzine like shit will give you a third (cancerous) testis.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:36:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

People who love and work near GA airfields have higher concentrations of lead in their bodies and there is no safe level of lead exposure.
View Quote

No they don’t
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]
PPL that don't like leaded gas probably still wear masks.

I run leaded in all my choppers Hi-compression or not and old 390 ford, screw Y'all
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We know that leaded gas is terrible. The question is whether avgas, which is the leading source of airborne lead, is a health risk. People who love and work near GA airfields have higher concentrations of lead in their bodies and there is no safe level of lead exposure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fun fact: Lead was not removed from gas because it's unhealthy.  It was removed from gas because it was incompatible with catalytic converters.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Leaded gas is best gas. If you really want to find gas with lead in it, think back to the good old days with 115/145.
View Quote

Agreed.  I like the smell.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Isn't the shit they are boosting the octane with, like a million times worse than lead?

Sure the combustion products are fine but fuel tanks leak, and MTBE / Benzine like shit will give you a third (cancerous) testis.
View Quote

Lead isn't there to boost the octane.  It helps prevent detonation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#13]
It will be interesting to see how the transition works...or doesn't.

100LL is the standard fuel for GA aircraft.  Will airports put up another tank/pump for unleaded avgas?   For how long?  Decades?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No they don’t
View Quote

But they do.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummmm.

Octane ratings are a rating of a fuels resistance to detonation.  And actually it’s not in aviation fuel for either reason. For some reason I don’t fully understand the valves of aircraft engines are particularly sensitive and leaded fuel is less harsh on them.

But hey here’s to hoping opposed piston engines work out soon. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Fun fact: Lead was not removed from gas because it's unhealthy.  It was removed from gas because it was incompatible with catalytic converters.
View Quote

This is true, but leaded gas is very bad for peoples health.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:48:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

100LL is the standard fuel for GA aircraft.  Will airports put up another tank/pump for unleaded avgas?   For how long?  Decades?
View Quote

My guess: once unleaded is proven in legacy applications EPA will mandate a phased withdrawal of leaded fuel from the market. Could be done in a decade.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The lead is also a lubricant. If the epa does away with 100ll a lot of older airplanes will end in the scrap pile. With as expensive as aviation is already, older airplanes are only way many can fly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ummmm.

Octane ratings are a rating of a fuels resistance to detonation.  And actually it’s not in aviation fuel for either reason. For some reason I don’t fully understand the valves of aircraft engines are particularly sensitive and leaded fuel is less harsh on them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ummmm.

Lead in gas is an anti-detonation agent.  That is the reason why it's still in avgas.   Leaded gas was available in a variety of octane ratings.  Higher octane is obviously less prone to detonation, but also takes more heat/compression to burn efficiently.   Lead prevents detonation without the need for higher octane.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 6:59:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The lead is also a lubricant. If the epa does away with 100ll a lot of older airplanes will end in the scrap pile. With as expensive as aviation is already, older airplanes are only way many can fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Champ has an STC to run autogas.  I've never done it for that reason.  And it stinks.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lead in gas is an anti-detonation agent.  That is the reason why it's still in avgas.   Leaded gas was available in a variety of octane ratings.  Higher octane is obviously less prone to detonation, but also takes more heat/compression to burn efficiently.   Lead prevents detonation without the need for higher octane.
View Quote

Lead increases octane rating so I’m not sure how you’re talking about needing more or less octane. The rating is based on a comparison of the fuel to a mixture of octane and heptane. Above 90 octane or so, lead or small quantities of specific aromatics added to be added to increase octane rating. Lead does so without the reduction in energy density or concerns about corrosion to gaskets and lines that can some with other additives. I looked up why aircraft like leaded fuel, apparently it has a cooling effect on the valves of an air cooled engine and that’s hard to replace with other formulations.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:17:45 PM EDT
[#22]
About time.  FAA has drug this out long enough.

Hopefully the spool up on production won't take another 13 years.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on the FBO's and airports.  Each airport is it's own bureaucracy.  When the EPA forces a complete shutdown of 100LL, only that will finalize the transition.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:26:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Depends on the FBO's and airports.  Each airport is it's own bureaucracy.  When the EPA forces a complete shutdown of 100LL, only that will finalize the transition.
View Quote

With a fair election Trump will win in 2024 and the EPA will be neutered along with most federal agencies.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:27:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I would bet a nickel that this could reduce the cost of avgas in the long run.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We know that leaded gas is terrible.
View Quote

Incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Incorrect.
View Quote

How about this. Leaded gas is great at doing gas things but it also does lead things which is bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lead increases octane rating so I’m not sure how you’re talking about needing more or less octane. The rating is based on a comparison of the fuel to a mixture of octane and heptane. Above 90 octane or so, lead or small quantities of specific aromatics added to be added to increase octane rating. Lead does so without the reduction in energy density or concerns about corrosion to gaskets and lines that can some with other additives. I looked up why aircraft like leaded fuel, apparently it has a cooling effect on the valves of an air cooled engine and that’s hard to replace with other formulations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leaded aviation gasoline used to come with octane ratings from 80 to 115.  If it was just about raising the octane, there would never have been 80 octane leaded aviation gas.  Lower compression engines can't burn high octane gas, but detonation is still a huge issue for aircraft because of higher performance demands and operating envelope.  That's why there was lead in low octane gas.  While lead does raise the octane rating, it acts in other ways to reduce detonation.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:09:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I doubt that AvGas contributes much to lead pollution in general, but I think the unleaded AvGas will be great for valves, pistons, oil and spark plugs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Leaded aviation gasoline used to come with octane ratings from 80 to 115.  If it was just about raising the octane, there would never have been 80 octane leaded aviation gas.  Lower compression engines can't burn high octane gas, but detonation is still a huge issue for aircraft because of higher performance demands and operating envelope.  That's why there was lead in low octane gas.  While lead does raise the octane rating, it acts in other ways to reduce detonation.
View Quote

Octane rating is literally the measure of a fuels propensity to resist detonation. There isn’t a secret way that it reduces detonation that isn’t reflected in its rating.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:04:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#32]
How many people in the USA have died as a result of airborne lead poisoning in the last 50 years  ?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#33]
The Romans ate lead and still ruled the world for centuries.
We took the lead out of gas and paint because it made kids dumb. Look around you, do they seem any smarter now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:18:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How many people in the USA have died as a result of airborne lead poisoning in the last 50 years  ?
View Quote

Hard to say. It did lower IQs and cause crime though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#35]
So I'll be buying 100NL now?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:26:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Octane rating is literally the measure of a fuels propensity to resist detonation. There isn’t a secret way that it reduces detonation that isn’t reflected in its rating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  Why did they put it in low octane fuel?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I always thought it was guide and seat friendly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:30:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly this.

In a gasoline engine normal combustion is a deflagration (burn).  Detonation (explosion) is abnormal and damaging.  Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's resistance to detonating before it has a chance to deflagrate.  Octane rating says nothing about a gasoline's ability to deflagrate--other properties determine that.

edit:  Fun titbit....octane rating is determined by way of special variable compression test engines.  All they're for is measuring octane rating.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the EPA will move in on leaded avgas soon. I'll be glad to see it go.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Okay.  Why did they put it in low octane fuel?
View Quote

80 octane leaded gasoline without the lead would have an octane rating less than 80.  Maybe 60 (a guess) and therefore prone to detonation in engines that require at least 80 octane.  Also, lead has lubricity properties.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How about this. Leaded gas is great at doing gas things but it also does lead things which is bad.
View Quote

I have plenty of time flying a GA aircraft and being around them.  I may keel over and die tonig.......................
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, the EPA will move in on leaded avgas soon. I'll be glad to see it go.

Maximum .

This logic brought to you by leaded gas.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:41:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any proof of this? Even when I worked in a fairly lead exposed environment I never raised my blood lead levels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:42:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Any proof of this? Even when I worked in a fairly lead exposed environment I never raised my blood lead levels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Blood level testing is a joke.

Try a brain tissue biopsy if you want a real number.

Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

The same with sulfur in diesel fuel. The epa looks at it as forced obsolescence. They see this as a win.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I would bet a nickel that this could reduce the cost of avgas in the long run.
View Quote

It's possible.  It's extremely expensive to provide 100LL.  Tanker trucks have to be dedicated to it, and I don't think they can even be cleaned to transport regular gas.  For everything else, there is an extensive cleaning process to make sure mogas is not contaminated with lead.  The only advantage is that all the stuff that's needed has already been bought.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Osha requires blood testing in battery plants and not a brain biopsy any idea why?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Ok. so they have a fuel that might work.  Are engine manufacturers going to certify it and issue a STC?  

Don't think so.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:53:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I always thought it was guide and seat friendly.
View Quote

This is true. Unleaded fuel is rough on the unhardened valve seats of old engines.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Osha requires blood testing in battery plants and not a brain biopsy any idea why?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because they don't actually care about what happens to you anyway and a brain biopsy would kill you?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top