Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2019 11:05:17 AM EDT
Hey all!   First real thread . . . WOOT!

With the new limitations on the free version of Fusion 360 coming has anyone though about other CAD/CAM tools for the home builder?

I've played with Rhinocad and SolidWorks but both are $$$$$$$.

What's out there that's free AND has a good CAM workflow?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:13:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

With the new limitations on the free version of Fusion 360 coming has anyone though about other CAD/CAM tools for the home builder?

View Quote
I don't know of another decent cad/cam all in one. I've considered going back to freecad and there's estlcam that I could pair with it. But freecad's ui drives me crazy.

Although, so far, the limitations on fusion aren't hindering anything much. Collaboration and not being able to read some specialty files may hurt some open source projects, but for a hobbyist, I don't know that it's a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:16:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Every time I log in that damn program tells me they want me to update the level of subscription.

What is the deadline?
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:16:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don't know of another decent cad/cam all in one. I've considered going back to freecad and there's estlcam that I could pair with it. But freecad's ui drives me crazy.

Although, so far, the limitations on fusion aren't hindering anything much. Collaboration and not being able to read some specialty files may hurt some open source projects, but for a hobbyist, I don't know that it's a big deal.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same.

For making my own stuff, I am not hindered at all.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:17:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd pay for Fusion, it's worth it.  I'm still on my free first year
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:17:33 AM EDT
[#5]
My fear is that it's going to be continually cut back to try to drive folks towards the paid version.  I'd hate to build entire projects and then lose capabilities because of a decision at Autodesk.  Since it's a web app there's really no way to work around it.

Plus there might be 2A issues in the future . . . just sayin'.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:18:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Every time I log in that damn program tells me they want me to update the level of subscription.

What is the deadline?
View Quote
I don't get that at all.

Did you setup as a hobbyist or use the free year for anybody.

I setup as a hobbyist and don't see that.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:19:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'd pay for Fusion, it's worth it.  I'm still on my free first year
View Quote
If you sign up to try it for free it is a year.

But if you sign up as a hobbyist I don't think there is a time limit, but the hobbyist thing was harder to find.

apparently this is out of date, even though I just did this a month ago.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:21:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's coming. I got an email about it a while back.

They've taken away the hobbyist/startup license and have gone to a paid subscription for everything. There's a free version but it takes away a good bit of stuff although I've not been able to figure out exactly what is missing.

It might be that the free version still does everything I'd want it to. Guess I'll find out when my hobby subscription is up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get that at all.

It's coming. I got an email about it a while back.

They've taken away the hobbyist/startup license and have gone to a paid subscription for everything. There's a free version but it takes away a good bit of stuff although I've not been able to figure out exactly what is missing.

It might be that the free version still does everything I'd want it to. Guess I'll find out when my hobby subscription is up.
well shit. I started using it a month ago and really like it, but I am not paying hundreds of dollars for it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:23:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Your hobby license will remain valid but once the renewal period is up you'll have to switch to one of the new plans.

Might be the new free still does most of what you need, if not, cough up the cashes or find an alternative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

well shit. I started using it a month ago and really like it, but I am not paying hundreds of dollars for it.
Your hobby license will remain valid but once the renewal period is up you'll have to switch to one of the new plans.

Might be the new free still does most of what you need, if not, cough up the cashes or find an alternative.
The learning curve for CAD/CAM programs is steep.  That's why I want to get ahead of it while I can.

Decent free CAD programs are pretty easy to find.  CAM programs not so much . . .
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 12:19:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I don't get that at all.

View Quote
It isnt a giant pop up box.  It is a thin banner along the top edge of the render/sketch area just below the toolbar.

I can very likely use a .edu email to go forward as a student thanks to continued work required courses.

But number one thing that worries me is this whole "cloud credits" crap that is required for doing cloud based rendering and is based off of polygons.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm going to stay with ArtCam. This is just a hobby for me. It doesn't justify spending $1600-$6000 for the latest software.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
fyi, it is free with a .edu address.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:01:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been trying to teach myself Fusion360 for a few months,  because it was free.   Now with this,  I  am going to look for something else, on general principles.  I am not going to invest another minute in the possibility that they could decide to photobucket me.

Yeah yeah,  their company and all that, but I disagree with that business model- starts out free then your stuff is hostage if you don't pay, so I chose to avoid it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 4:50:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Can always register an LLC in your state and get the FULL FEATURED package under the "startup" licence.

In MN, its about $140 for the LLC, keep it as long as you renew yearly (free online renewal, takes 4 minutes).
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#17]
It doesn't sound like they are limiting much.

Fusion 360 hobbyist/startup subscribers: Action is required by the end of your term! Effective today, the prior hobbyist/startup subscription type is no longer available for renewal or new subscriptions. By the end of your existing term, you'll need to choose from the subscription types below:
View Quote
Fusion 360 for personal use (new)  For non-commercial use only. You'll have access to everything you need for personal projects including all the design, engineering, documentation, and manufacturing capabilities included in a current Fusion 360 commercial subscription.

Access to collaboration, data management capabilities, and commercial software translators (NX, Catia, Solidworks, Creo, and Inventor) is not included.  Also, support is provided through our community forums for this subscription type.

If you'd like to continue with Fusion 360 for personal use, please follow these instructions to convert to the new offering.
View Quote
Access to collaboration - I've only use this once with a friend. I guess will be emailing files instead.
Data management capabilities - No clue what this means.
Commercial software translators  - This sucks if you get a file in one of those formats.

Am I missing something?  Looks like I will still be able to create and 3D print my stuff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Access to collaboration - I've only use this once with a friend. I guess will be emailing files instead.
Commercial software translators  - This sucks if you get a file in one of those formats.

Am I missing something?  Looks like I will still be able to create and 3D print my stuff.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Fusion 360 hobbyist/startup subscribers: Action is required by the end of your term! Effective today, the prior hobbyist/startup subscription type is no longer available for renewal or new subscriptions. By the end of your existing term, you'll need to choose from the subscription types below:
Fusion 360 for personal use (new)  For non-commercial use only. You'll have access to everything you need for personal projects including all the design, engineering, documentation, and manufacturing capabilities included in a current Fusion 360 commercial subscription.

Access to collaboration, data management capabilities, and commercial software translators (NX, Catia, Solidworks, Creo, and Inventor) is not included.  Also, support is provided through our community forums for this subscription type.

If you'd like to continue with Fusion 360 for personal use, please follow these instructions to convert to the new offering.

I think the fear is mainly if they neuter it more in the future.

Nothing is for certain, I would just keep using Fusion360
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Carveco.com is offering a new version of Artcam. It was rumored that they were going to offer a low or no cost version for non commercial users. But I can not find anything that confirms that to be true.
Link Posted: 10/21/2019 8:15:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Photobucket made some wise folks very, very leery of such an arrangement.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#21]
I am going to move to FreeCAD.

1) it's free, as in free beer

2) it's not a cash cow for some bloated corporation that already has too much money

3) it's fully scritpable - you can make your own commands, and even copy and modify (extend) the built-in ones.

4) it's free
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 12:34:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Currently it is the "other format " translations that are sticking in my craw the most.  I was trying to learn it, and as such downloading free models from anywhere I could get them just to see what could be done.  Now if it isn't available in f360 format I might or might not be able to open it.

As others have said, this is a blatant money grab aimed at all of the hobbyists who might make a little money on the side.  I  support their right to do whatever they like with their software, but I don't have to support them for it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2019 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#25]
What is the best format to save Fusion 360 files locally.  I want something generic that can be accessed by other CAD programs in the future or for sharing.

I already have CAD drawings going back about 20yrs. As my inventory of tools and skills continue to grow I like to revisit those projects and actually build some.  As software gets outdated and replaced, I lose a few files here and there.  Would like to somewhat future proof my work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For backup, I would export in
.iges
.step
.stl
View Quote
Not .dxf or .dwg?

You'll have to forgive my ignorance a bit as I have always used and had access to the same program.  Only time I dealt with exporting in a different format has been to farm out waterjetting or cnc machining and I just provided what was asked for.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:04:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 5:21:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What are you backing up?

dxf is a 2D drawing format.  You should backup the whole model.
View Quote
See.  Ignorance.  I guess I did not even realize dxf was 2d.  A lot of my earlier stuff was 2d.  As is some simple current stuff like shop drawings of bolt hole layouts. Other than that I am going to all 3d.  I'm a stay at home dad now so I have much more computer time than machine time.  3d lets me more be more detailed in my designs before getting dirty.
Link Posted: 11/6/2019 6:33:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top