Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2018 5:55:16 PM EDT
I absolutely LOVE diving my Ocean Reef Full Face Mask !

No more jaw fatigue.
More facial comfort, no mask squeeze
Incredible field of view
Equalize with every breath
Clear with every breath
Can chat underwater (if you like that)
No dry throat, get to nose breathe
no mask fogging, ever

Ups the cosmonaut factor considerably!

My wife has a different story as her face is a little more odd shaped and the sizing of the mask isn't fitting between S/M & M/L OR skirts...

Even a 12' tiger shark thought we were pretty cool looking and wanted to get a couple looks at us in Hawai'i (KONA HONU DIVERS, GREEN CAN DIVESITE)
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you take a class for it?

The biggest turn off for these always seems to be (1) price (2) having to carry a back-up mask and (3) price.

I'd love to try it, especially for the ability to communicate, but also to nose breathe.

Do you have a QD connection on it so that if it malfunctions, you can just pop it off the hose? I've seen this, but I wasn't sure if it's the norm. You could have a normal second stage on a QD to plug into the line if the FFM had to be removed.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you take a class for it?

The biggest turn off for these always seems to be (1) price (2) having to carry a back-up mask and (3) price.

I'd love to try it, especially for the ability to communicate, but also to nose breathe.

Do you have a QD connection on it so that if it malfunctions, you can just pop it off the hose? I've seen this, but I wasn't sure if it's the norm. You could have a normal second stage on a QD to plug into the line if the FFM had to be removed.
View Quote
Yup.  Got certified as an Instructor as well at Rainbow Reef.  Total of about 5 or 6 certs... $$$

If you are going to get an OR FFM get the professional grade PREDATOR it has more metal parts and a LIFETIME warranty versus the sports line GDIVER which is only two years and has more plastic instead of metal parts.

(1) Price: Pay once, cry once.
(2) You don't HAVE to carry a back up mask, but I do in a tail pouch with my SMB.
(3) Price: Its an investment...?

Nose breathing is SWEET.  Equalizing is a touch trickier, but NEVER having a mask FLOOD or FOG again is SUPREME!

I did the MANTA Night Dive in Kona with the FFM and it was AMAZING, almost like sitting in a 3D movie!  SOOOoooo  Much going on in the periphereals!

Same for the tiger shark that came back to visit 4 times on another dive!  It was nice seeing it out of the corner of my eye!!!!!

Yes.  I did do the QD & braided line.  I also set up my 40l pony bottle with a QD Scubapro reg (S250) and my previous main use Scubapro reg (S600) with a QD as well.  Popping it off the FFM and popping it onto another FFM to buddy breathe is FUN and takes a bit of COORDINATION & TIMING but is NEAT.

If the reg in the FFM fails to PROVIDE gas, then the TTP is to ditch the FFM and go to the OCTO then assess visibility and (if) don BU mask.

BONUS: Sleeping or losing conscious underwater doesn't equal DROWNING.  Why aren't closed circuit divers diving full face mask?  

MANTAS!

Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice.

I had an AGA for a bit. The clarity and field of view is insane.  I didn't have a nose block in it, but discovered I could easily equalize by yawning.

Thinking I can see in SW sans mask is a no go for me.
I carried a spare mask spun backwards on my neck.
I would not like a plug n play backup scenario.  I carried a second stage bungied to my neck.
I came very close to picking up a switch block to allow for a bailout tank routing (which I carry  for anything >1atm).  
Someone wanted it more than me and I sold it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I dove one for awhile, even with a full beard, I could maintain a seal which was nice. But between having very well tuned A700s that breathe like I'm laying on the beach and dealing with gas switching, and not wanting to risk a manifold, I ended up selling it.  No regrets.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yup.  Got certified as an Instructor as well at Rainbow Reef.  Total of about 5 or 6 certs... $$$

If you are going to get an OR FFM get the professional grade PREDATOR it has more metal parts and a LIFETIME warranty versus the sports line GDIVER which is only two years and has more plastic instead of metal parts.

(1) Price: Pay once, cry once.
(2) You don't HAVE to carry a back up mask, but I do in a tail pouch with my SMB.
(3) Price: Its an investment...?

Nose breathing is SWEET.  Equalizing is a touch trickier, but NEVER having a mask FLOOD or FOG again is SUPREME!

I did the MANTA Night Dive in Kona with the FFM and it was AMAZING, almost like sitting in a 3D movie!  SOOOoooo  Much going on in the periphereals!

Same for the tiger shark that came back to visit 4 times on another dive!  It was nice seeing it out of the corner of my eye!!!!!

Yes.  I did do the QD & braided line.  I also set up my 40l pony bottle with a QD Scubapro reg (S250) and my previous main use Scubapro reg (S600) with a QD as well.  Popping it off the FFM and popping it onto another FFM to buddy breathe is FUN and takes a bit of COORDINATION & TIMING but is NEAT.

If the reg in the FFM fails to PROVIDE gas, then the TTP is to ditch the FFM and go to the OCTO then assess visibility and (if) don BU mask.

BONUS: Sleeping or losing conscious underwater doesn't equal DROWNING.  Why aren't closed circuit divers diving full face mask?  
MANTAS!
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MANTA_2-760664.jpg
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/34498/MANTA_1-760663.jpg
View Quote
When did you do Kona? We were there last December.
Dude... I didn't realize it was you until you replied. HAHA.

I've asked about FFM on CC... apparently it's complicated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I enjoy my FFM myself, great to have underneath, somewhat a pain on the surface.  Mostly positives though...
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top