Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2024 9:53:34 PM EDT
Anywhere to buy this liquid gold ? Been watching too many of Chef Jean Pierre videos and he uses it in just about everything . I only cook for me , sometimes my girlfriend which makes 2 . Is there anywhere on the internets that will sell and ship frozen stocks that do not suck ? As you can tell , I wouldn’t use a whole lot . I’ve watched his vids on making them at home , but damn he makes a lot . If you have not seen his vids , they are great for a beginner cook like me , lol . Just asking if anyone has used commercial stock that was good . And the bouillon cubes just don’t seem to work that well , imo . Thank you in advance for replies !
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#1]
ETA - I don't have an answer to your exact question, but some tips that might help with a solution.

As with most things, making it yourself is always best. I've been keeping all the chicken parts in the freezer until I have enough. I even keep the carcasses from the Sam's club rotisserie chickens we buy.

As for beef, I don't cook enough bone-in beef to generate the necessary bones. Chef Jean Pierre has a vid on how to make a better stock starting with the stuff in a box.

As for quantity, well - it's hard to boil up a bunch of stuff in a pot and NOT make a big batch. You can freeze it, though. You could use the video and just fraction all the quantities proportionally and get a better batch size for your purposes.

From Boxed to Delicious Beef Stock | Chef Jean-Pierre
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:
As with most things, making it yourself is always best. I've been keeping all the chicken parts in the freezer until I have enough. I even keep the carcasses from the Sam's club rotisserie chickens we buy.

As for beef, I don't cook enough bone-in beef to generate the necessary bones. Chef Jean Pierre has a vid on how to make a better stock starting with the stuff in a box.

As for quantity, well - it's hard to boil up a bunch of stuff in a pot and NOT make a big batch. You can freeze it, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whtbrb_--Hc
View Quote

Yes , I’ve watched them and will make them in the future ! Was just wondering if there was a niche supplier that sells it already prepared . I have learned so much watching his vids . I’ve been doing everything wrong my whole life .
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:38:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 4q2:

Yes , I’ve watched them and will make them in the future ! Was just wondering if there was a niche supplier that sells it already prepared . I have learned so much watching his vids . I’ve been doing everything wrong my whole life .
View Quote

Fair enough. That's why I updated my post.

I "learned" to cook from my mom, only to later realize she was a terrible cook. We rarely ate out, so I didn't have much to compare it to. I'm having some fun, though, and now I am getting pretty good at it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Here s what I would do... Store bought low sodium or sodium free stock in the box from local grocer. Fortify with roast chicken bones or raw bones and mirepoix.

Make the big batch and reduce the stock by half if not more and freeze into cubes or small containers. When defrosted you will have glace if used in the reduced state or if you add water you can bring it back to a stock viscosity.

If you are intent of buying this brand is the industry standard. Link
warning it its quite expensive.

BPS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America
MS Food Science, Connell University
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 6:44:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gearjammer351] [#6]
Originally Posted By Lucky-Charm:

Here s what I would do... Store bought low sodium or sodium free stock in the box from local grocer. Fortify with roast chicken bones or raw bones and mirepoix.

Make the big batch and reduce the stock by half if not more and freeze into cubes or small containers. When defrosted you will have glace if used in the reduced state or if you add water you can bring it back to a stock viscosity.

If you are intent of buying this brand is the industry standard. Link
warning it its quite expensive.

BPS Culinary Arts, Culinary Institute of America
MS Food Science, Connell University
View Quote

Thanks for that. They don't sell direct to consumers, it seems. I was thinking of trying the beef one.

You should do an AMA in the cooking forum.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#7]
HELLO FWEINDS
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By gearjammer351:

Thanks for that. They don't sell direct to consumers, it seems. I was thinking of trying the beef one.

You should do an AMA in the coming forum.
View Quote

Just took a quick look... It's available if you google the item you are looking for from online vendors.
Link Posted: 2/4/2024 3:02:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Commercial stock sucks because making quality stock is expensive.  

On the bright side, most commercial veg broth is actually pretty darn good

If you want to make really good broth, buy some veg broth at the store, and mix 1:1 with distilled or filtered water to make your stock
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By burnka871:
HELLO FWEINDS
View Quote

Lol ! .     Really like his videos
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Buy Sam's/Costco rotisserie chicken.  Great/cheap source for homemade chicken broth.
View Quote

Been saving my chicken bones to do it . Great suggestions in here .thanks everybody
Link Posted: 2/19/2024 7:21:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I make my own.  Especially after seeing NY restaurants sell it at $20/cup!  

I save & freeze any chicken bones, & excess meat, until I have enough to pressure cook with carrots, onions, & celery.  Same with any beef & bones.

After the cooking is done, I can it in pint sized jars.  Lasts several years on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:24:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Annarchy:
I make my own.  Especially after seeing NY restaurants sell it at $20/cup!  

I save & freeze any chicken bones, & excess meat, until I have enough to pressure cook with carrots, onions, & celery.  Same with any beef & bones.

After the cooking is done, I can it in pint sized jars.  Lasts several years on the shelf.
View Quote

Pressure cooking  sounds interesting for making stock . Makes alot of sense to me after thinking about it . Thank you !
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 8:44:04 AM EDT
[#14]
During the holidays the beef bone-in rib roasts are pretty cheap.  I get a four-bone and save the bones to make beef stock after we're done eating the beef.  Since the bones were roasted in the oven they make a very rich broth.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Making a pot of chicken stock right now out of Costco rotisserie chicken carcasses.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 12:40:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Subnet] [#16]
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top