BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 348
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By newguy2k3:

I'm not understanding how adding weight to a socket will result in more torque?
View Quote
Most likely a vibration dampener.  You loose torque when the socket vibrates.  So you can get a little bit more out of the gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:31:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jeep450] [#2]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jeep450:

Yea those sockets are junk.

If you have the stick on weight for wheels that is a solid strip you can take it and wrap it around the socket 3 times and it may work. My Toyota buddy was able to do that on a Toyota.
Centrifugal weight

Ingersoll Rand PowerSocket® adds up to 50% more torque
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:31:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Most likely a vibration dampener.  You loose torque when the socket vibrates.  So you can get a little bit more out of the gun.
View Quote
Don't tell the safety man but I still grab my sockets when they're rattling on a bolt head.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Centrifugal weight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVIXLYNSv1o
View Quote
Centrifugal force wouldn't come into play on something you're trying to get loose though. It's not moving. If you're ramming something down full speed I can see how the extra mass on a socket would equal more inertial torque as the fastener stops.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#5]
It works

Link Posted: 12/13/2018 3:07:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Keekleberrys] [#6]
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 9:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:

it gives it rotational inertia. its harder for it to be slowed down once its moving.

ever notice with an impact if you had a long extension and you cant get a stubborn fastener loose? then you take the extension out and it buzzes out effortlessly? sort of similar in effect.
View Quote
Yes but that would apply when you're running it down. Trying to loosen something and the socket isn't moving for there to be any inertia. With extensions you lose torque due to flex, always. I have stuff that won't come loose with a 12" 1/2 or even 3/4 extension and a breaker bar. Move to a 3/4 or 1" and adapters and it pops right loose.

From my experience trying to move something heavier ends up with less output. Ex. 1" impact with a 1 1/2 socket vs say a 3". When the hammer hits that inertia goes into the mass of the socket and the fastener. With the heavier socket more of that inertia is lost in the socket.

The ir socket says it has some sort of dual mass mechanism inside. I'll have to see if I can find a cutaway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:15:19 AM EDT
[#8]
It's a solid machined part, nothing internal. The dual mass comes in with the weight of the socket and the weight of the hammers inside the impact.

It works. There are several different sizes.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#9]
it gives it rotational inertia. its harder for it to be slowed down once its moving.

ever notice with an impact if you had a long extension and you cant get a stubborn fastener loose? then you take the extension out and it buzzes out effortlessly? sort of similar in effect.
View All Quotes

It's like swinging a 2lb hammer then switching to a 4lb and using the same force to swing it, you get more work with the 4lb.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]

It's like swinging a 2lb hammer then switching to a 4lb and using the same force to swing it, you get more work with the 4lb.
View Quote
But the hammer is inside the impact. Wouldn't it be more like swinging a 4lb hammer at a 10lb pin and vs the same hammer at a 20lb pin?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Customer wants 305 tires mounted on wheels that normally accommodate 275.  The beads won't seat.  Lube, silicone, and ether have failed.  There isn't a gap to allow the cheetah in.  Ideas?  We also ran a ratchet strap around the tire.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 7:47:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By saturnstyl:
Customer wants 305 tires mounted on wheels that normally accommodate 275.  The beads won't seat.  Lube, silicone, and ether have failed.  There isn't a gap to allow the cheetah in.  Ideas?  We also ran a ratchet strap around the tire.
View Quote
Size 14 women dont fit in size 1 dresses.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#13]
View Quote
Y'all tried that heavy, grease like, tire/bead seating compound?

I haven't messed with alloy car wheels but it's helped me on some tractor and implement tires. Even helped seal up a leaky bead on a pitted rim.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:51:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I was told that you can take PEX tubing and get them to seal.

Cut the tubing to length and wedge it down between the tire and wheel, lubed up really good. When the tire starts expanding it will push out the PEX.

Sounds plausible.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Or do you mean it will hold air, the beads on the tire won’t slip over the bead of the wheel?

I use to mount IMCA dirt tires back in the day. Have to hook the tire directly to the air hose and slide it under something heavy that won’t get damaged when the tire does seat.

Don’t go over 90 psi.

Not saying it’s safe, it’s how I use to do it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 9:44:58 PM EDT
[#16]

But the hammer is inside the impact. Wouldn't it be more like swinging a 4lb hammer at a 10lb pin and vs the same hammer at a 20lb pin?
View Quote
I'm with you on the questions

I get that it works, but the how and why it works eludes me
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 1:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
JUst ordered a Chevy 5.7 for $1599 off ebay with free shipping.   Dealerships wanted $2800 and SD was at $2k.  Nice that ebay is paying $175 to get it down to $1599.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Sent my new truck off to Iowa finally. They pushed the estimated completion date back to late February now.

It's crazy that all the upfitters that make a nice crane and bed are saying if you will need a new truck in 2019 order it now. Other people are saying they're even started to get way behind getting chassis' from Ford and dodge.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:56:59 PM EDT
[#19]
How do y'all auto guys handle working on older cars? I just put a new bushing in the shifter on my beater 01 Jetta TDI. Everything plastic you try to remove  snaps, breaks or flat out explodes!
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#20]
How do y'all auto guys handle working on older cars? I just put a new bushing in the shifter on my beater 01 Jetta TDI. Everything plastic you try to remove  snaps, breaks or flat out explodes!
View Quote
it can be a challenge for sure
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:35:37 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
It can be a pain at times. Try late 70's and early 80s cars for even more suck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By m35ben:
It can be a pain at times. Try late 70's and early 80s cars for even more suck.
View Quote
I imagine those had more bolts and screws. Now we have all these damn spring clips and rather than the clip coming out it breaks out the plastic it's attached to.

We're starting to see more plastic snap/push connect fuel lines and things on machinery. That's a great idea in a dirty environment....
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 11:53:52 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Always try to let it get warm first.  Especially in the winter.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:40:32 AM EDT
[#24]
The exodus continues.  33 years with the company foreman retired.  20+ year loaner car dept manager leaves on the 31st.  Seven years with us, ten p!us with MB tech leaves same day.

I ended up in a spat with the SM.  It felt good to see people stand behind me and hear the things they said.  I carry a lot of pull, and I've been around a long time.  I could go anywhere, but I like it here.  I'm not the person you need to threaten or watch.  We are also not in a position to lose anyone, particularly with my skill set.  In the end we chalked it up to misunderstanding.  We don't know how to take each other.  It got rather sketchy for a couple days, but I believe the issue is firmly behind us.  My resume is extremely dusty, but I would be the best Christmas gift ever to some people.  I'd certainly like to stay and continue my work here, but sometimes things rock the boat a little and make you wake up and take a look outside.

I have lost every single team member I have save for two, in a little less than two years.  I have a shop full of extremely green techs, who require a great deal of guidance.  On the other hand, they rarely disappoint.  They are all extremely good at what they do.  They learn quickly, they are resilient, they produce excellent work, and they  are fun.  A lot of fun.  I really enjoy this group.  They are the newest generation and it is a blessing to be molding them in to line techs.  They constantly surprise me with their abilities when given challenges.  I'm quite proud of all of them.

I suppose more change is coming.  I'm hoping to have my flag hours requirement reduced, that I may focus on the techs more and focus on me less.  This would also allow me to work on jobs i currently avoid due to time constraints.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By tmleadr03:

Always try to let it get warm first.  Especially in the winter.
View Quote
I think the TX heat has killed most of the plastic. It's not unusual to get in it and find a piece of plastic trim laying on the floor or popped loose and about to fall.

It's a shit box. I'm aware.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I was able to get my corvette out today and go for a drive.  Not far, not even very hard.  Damn it felt good.  I've been jonesing for a spin in that car for quite some time now.  The weather has just been terrible for a long time, or I've been working, or had other obligations.  To just enjoy it for a short time was probably the best Christmas gift I could have gotten right now.  It sounded good, drove great, and felt wonderful.

We have work until 2pm Monday.  We get Tuesday off.  I took NYE off.  We are closed NYD.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#27]
We have to work till 2 Monday as well. We won’t get shit done, at least they won’t have to pay us for that day as well.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#28]
We have to work till 2 Monday as well. We won't get shit done, at least they won't have to pay us for that day as well.
View Quote
Closed Monday and Tuesday this week and next. Fuck working those days
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:15:57 PM EDT
[#29]

I imagine those had more bolts and screws. Now we have all these damn spring clips and rather than the clip coming out it breaks out the plastic it's attached to.

We're starting to see more plastic snap/push connect fuel lines and things on machinery. That's a great idea in a dirty environment....
View Quote
Replace plastic door panels with cardboard. Screws that are had as hell to find the holes and line up like shit.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 6:09:05 PM EDT
[#30]
The front (back?) fell off.

Link Posted: 12/25/2018 3:05:48 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 1:46:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Sev89:

I hate when alternators do that
View Quote
Except that isn't an alternator.  Its clearly the impeller of a power steering pump.  Or at least it used to be.  
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 5:21:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:53:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: demoMouse] [#34]
New wheels came in. My boy wanted to be “part of my pit crew”

Now knows how to find a unibody Jack point, how a scissor jack and a floor jack work, and knows that you need to tighten lugs in a star pattern.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:35:49 PM EDT
[#35]
snow cone maker
View Quote
Torque converter.
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Torque converter.
View Quote
Since you're so smart, what does it convert the torque in to?  Snow cones?
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#37]
View All Quotes
Torque converter.
That'd be my guess. When the snow cone grinder let go, the syrup dispenser dispensed in the wrong direction...making quite the mess.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By DeLuce:
That'd be my guess. When the snow cone grinder let go, the syrup dispenser dispensed in the wrong direction...making quite the mess.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DeLuce:
Torque converter.
better hope bits of the snow cone grinder didn't make its way into the onboard air compressor
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Sev89:

better hope bits of the snow cone grinder didn't make its way into the onboard air compressor
View Quote
Yeah, that will shut down the bacon dispenser.  Then the next time you want breakfast you'll only find plain oatmeal, but it comes out of the barbecue sauce port instead.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote
Ice for the snow cone.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:09:03 PM EDT
[#42]
The expanding track width option?

I like my oil thick.

Slow running oil (like rubber) from a VW car
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

The expanding track width option?

I like my oil thick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTYrTlJOuc
View Quote
Variable gauge option. Some machinery has it. Didn't know it was available on cars. Handy for ruts.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#44]

Variable gauge option. Some machinery has it. Didn't know it was available on cars. Handy for ruts.
View Quote
It's a jeep thing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2018 11:44:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Sent my new truck off to Iowa finally. They pushed the estimated completion date back to late February now.

It's crazy that all the upfitters that make a nice crane and bed are saying if you will need a new truck in 2019 order it now. Other people are saying they're even started to get way behind getting chassis' from Ford and dodge.
View Quote
My company is trying to order 25 service trucks right now and we cant get the trucks, the bodies are waiting.
Ford is 20 or so months out on F550s, Dodge is 8-14. We are looking at the IHC CV (I think that's the model) but they are having issues getting 4x4 and the CA lengths we want.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I think I may have talked with you on the FB group.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#47]
I think I may have talked with you on the FB group.
View Quote
That could be. I only post on here and one Facebook group for the most part. I have talked about this issue there a couple times.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Aspp:
That could be. I only post on here and one Facebook group for the most part. I have talked about this issue there a couple times.
View Quote
It must have escalated quickly. Ordered the chassis and body in July. Chassis showed up on the lot in September.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 12:43:03 AM EDT
[#49]

It must have escalated quickly. Ordered the chassis and body in July. Chassis showed up on the lot in September.
View Quote
Talked to a friend today (our earlier posts made me think to call him), this was his take:
State and federal agencies order most of their vehicles between July and October, my understanding is that a lot of them are renewing their fleets. Coupled with the private sector earning a living again and being able to afford to buy new or expand. Ford/Dodge only slates a short period of assembly line time to build 450/550 and they were not prepared for the order volume coming in.
Makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:39:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 348
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top