Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2020 8:20:11 PM EDT
I started freediving for years ago. I always figured at some point I would get into Scuba. Recently a friend knew someone who was selling some used equipment so I took a look not knowing anything about scuba gear. The stuff looked old but I figured Id make a low offer and see. I ended up buying a Conshelf 14 octopus and secondary regulator, seaquest mirage secondary regulator, suunto 2 gauge+compass, unknown bc, 2 tanks. All for $300. The tanks are luxfer 80s made in 1995. The one was last Hydro tested 2006.

I had originally bought a kidde tank that was made in 1979. I grabbed it because I could see it was certified in 2006. However after researching online it appears that these tanks are no good. This one has 2000 psi of nitrox in it. I'll probably just use that up and then scrap it. I went back to the lady to purchase one of the two remaining tanks and explain to her that one of the times that I purchased was no good and luckily she said I can just take another tank no problem. The gear was her husband's who died 5 years ago.

The one Lucifer tank had 2000 psi of air in it already so I went diving in the lake just to test out the gear a bit. Both secondary Regulators seem to work and the BC works. There is a small air leak coming out of the octopus I'm not sure where my friend was watching when I was under water.

I'll probably get certified the next time I get back to Florida. There is really nothing to see up here underwater.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure where in PA you are, but Lake Erie has some great wrecks.

White Star and Gilboa quarries in OH are great places to dive.

You must have older AL80s with the 6351 alloy. No good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2020 5:31:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm on Lake Wallenpaupack in northeast PA the algae is so strong right now. Visibility is like practically zero. In the spring it can be seven or eight feet I've done some spear fishing in the lake.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top