Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2022 10:40:30 AM EDT
I am a nurse (RN) licensed out of Kentucky.  

While working out of state at a mental health hospital, I was was attacked by a forensic mental health patient (a prisoner serving a sentence there due to mental health disorders ).

Long story short, patient was injured and I was terminated. The hospital reported me to the nursing board in that state as well as DHHS (because the patient was a prisoner and ward of the state). I retained a lawyer and am fighting the charges in that state.

That state’s board has also reported me to my home states board. The home state immediately suspended  my license and has opened an investigation of their own. I need a separate, Kentucky licensed lawyer to represent me against the charges here.

I’m broke. Unemployed, savings eaten up by retaining the lawyer in the original jurisdiction. I’m interviewing for non nursing jobs and trying to keep the electric and heat on in my home. My divorce in April ate up all of my savings, what little I had left went to retaining my first lawyer. His case in that state had been my primary focus, as DHHS is pushing for abuse/criminal charges (patient sustained a broken nose) because the patient is considered ‘at risk’ for abuse because although an adult he is mentally disabled (schizophrenic and low function IQ). Self defense isn’t even on the table with patients like this even if it’s cut and dried as it is in my case.

I’ve googled free legal aid in my state and I’m not seeing much outside of criminal cases for clients who are indigent or homeless.

I’m getting desperate. Interviewing today for a job making a third of what I was making as a nurse.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the state bar association and ask. They will normally know about legal aid options.
Link Posted: 1/20/2022 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/25/2022 11:20:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Sent in an application for aid from the free legal aid in my area (Legal Aid of the Bluegrass), waiting to hear back, not sure if they will aid with a case of this type. I think it’s more for minorities, low income/poverty, and homeless/at risk people. Fingers crossed. I have enough money to pay my electric bill next week and that’s it. No money for fuel for the furnace, phone bill, other utilities, food gas etc.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2022 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I am familiar with SNAP.

Biggest concern right now is legal representation, and heat/electric.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top