Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 5/13/2024 4:07:00 PM EDT
Alright... I'm actually going to make an oil thread on GD for this one.

If You LOVE One Of These, DON'T Watch This Video!

Now, Lake Speed Jr. does get kind of long winded in this video, at nearly 30 minutes long.  And does get a bit technical with the used oil analysis.  But, we share the same credentials, being we are both CLS or 'lubricant engineers' so to speak. I come from the distributor / marketer side of the world, primarily focused on industrial lubricants. Lake Speed Jr. comes from the racing world and now is more into engine building for racing applications.  Very different sides of the industry, however the fundamentals stay the same.

For a TL;DR of this video and what I've said for years (decades now?) on Arfcom:

Only fuel additives that work are PEA based, more specifically Amine based fuel additives as they give a level of detergent to the fuel.

Don't add anything to your engine oil.  Seriously. Just fucking don't. It's all various levels of bad. Don't use MMO, don't use seafoam, don't use ZDDP additives, don't use super nano friction reducer. Just don't use it. You're going to do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:07:27 PM EDT
[#1]
OIL THREAD!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:10:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
So you're saying slick 50 is still good to go. On it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Is that like awl?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
OIL THREAD!
View Quote

Someone should @ Foxtrot to get his input on this one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Almost 20 years of using ZDDP additive in the same engines (hyd. flat tappet) that get the absolute shit beat out of them, yet still function perfectly (with no rebuilds), says I will continue to do so. Off the shelf available everywhere and zero ill side effects. If it's wrong, I just will stay wrong, as the results are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Todd from Project Farm tested some and a few worked a little IIRC.  He is one of the best oil analysts on YouTube.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
When you say “don’t use sea foam”, as an oil additive or does this include as a fuel additive as well?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By nvgeologist:
Neat!

Now how about diesel fuel additives?
View Quote

They void the warranty on your fuel system.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Lichtenstein Techron?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Neat!

View Quote

Oh hell yes.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hbilly] [#14]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:

You talkim’ earl or owel?
View Quote

awl, as in i walked down to the crick to warsh the awl outta ma bibs

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CDW4ME] [#15]
Any more than 5k changes with full synthetic and it's why do you hate your motor.
3k changes with full synthetic if turbo or motorcycle.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Honestly, I’ve gotten the point that I don’t do anything with oil before asking foxtrot.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:14:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Neat!

View Quote

Hit or miss.  As he states, there are zero governing boards for additives. None.  So you could be getting sold absolute snake oil, or you might be getting something that works.

People ask me all the time what to use for a diesel product and I typically just recommend power service. It's not the best, it's not the worse, it's available about everywhere and they're basically the oldest name in the game there. There are other options - FPPF, Stanadyne, etc.  If you have your favorite flavor, go for it. Just don't lick the spatula.  As he states the same thing that I have several times - the worse thing about the oil industry is the terrible ass marketing.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
Todd from Project Farm tested some and a few worked a little IIRC.  He is one of the best oil analysts on YouTube.
View Quote
The bait can't be so obvious.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:17:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#19]
Originally Posted By Gtdhw:
Almost 20 years of using ZDDP additive in the same engines (hyd. flat tappet) that get the absolute shit beat out of them, yet still function perfectly (with no rebuilds), says I will continue to do so. Off the shelf available everywhere and zero ill side effects. If it's wrong, I just will stay wrong, as the results are excellent.
View Quote

Test results for ZDDP additives start around the 27 minute mark.

You can continue to stay wrong, everyone is allowed to have opinions.  Just because something hasn't broken, doesn't make it right.

You could, just use an oil formulated for high performance engines.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JamPo:
When you say “don’t use sea foam”, as an oil additive or does this include as a fuel additive as well?
View Quote

Doesn't do anything as a fuel additive.  Just burn mineral spirits, same-same.

As an oil additive, it will actually cause your oil viscosity to drop substantially and your oil to possibly, boil. Which is real fun with oxidation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:
Alright... I'm actually going to make an oil thread on GD for this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGT5inQScE

Now, Lake Speed Jr. does get kind of long winded in this video, at nearly 30 minutes long.  And does get a bit technical with the used oil analysis.  But, we share the same credentials, being we are both CLS or 'lubricant engineers' so to speak. I come from the distributor / marketer side of the world, primarily focused on industrial lubricants. Lake Speed Jr. comes from the racing world and now is more into engine building for racing applications.  Very different sides of the industry, however the fundamentals stay the same.

For a TL;DR of this video and what I've said for years (decades now?) on Arfcom:

Only fuel additives that work are PEA based, more specifically Amine based fuel additives as they give a level of detergent to the fuel.

Don't add anything to your engine oil.  Seriously. Just fucking don't. It's all various levels of bad. Don't use MMO, don't use seafoam, don't use ZDDP additives, don't use super nano friction reducer. Just don't use it. You're going to do more harm than good.
View Quote

I just watched that video this morning after the YouTube geek thread. I didn't realize they did that much harm, but haven't used them in decades.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AngryNagant:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:19:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Hit or miss.  As he states, there are zero governing boards for additives. None.  So you could be getting sold absolute snake oil, or you might be getting something that works.

People ask me all the time what to use for a diesel product and I typically just recommend power service. It's not the best, it's not the worse, it's available about everywhere and they're basically the oldest name in the game there. There are other options - FPPF, Stanadyne, etc.  If you have your favorite flavor, go for it. Just don't lick the spatula.  As he states the same thing that I have several times - the worse thing about the oil industry is the terrible ass marketing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Neat!

Is there any push to create standards like the API doughnut on engine oils for things like hydraulic oil?  The lack of something similar to engine oil categories caught me by surprise when I got a tractor.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:21:33 PM EDT
[#24]
If we're not supposed to use additional additives like ZDDP, what is the take on commercial products that already have them baked in like Lucas Hot Rod and Classic, PennGrade, etc?

I've got several old turds still driving.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:23:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By haveTwo:

Is there any push to create standards like the API doughnut on engine oils for things like hydraulic oil?  The lack of something similar to engine oil categories caught me by surprise when I got a tractor.
View All Quotes
Neat!

Nope. I talked to the person in charge of the API's regulatory enforcement about that at a conference I was at earlier this year.  They simply don't have the man power right now. They don't even have the man power to really enforce engine oil standards as much as they should.  The only thing that could possibly be the next avenue would be transmission fluids. But for the most part, especially with the new fluids, those require a lot of specialty tools to even swap reasonably. So just stick to OEM / OEM Manufacturer like Idemitsu / Mobil / P66 / Etc. Make sure its licensed for your particular gear box.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes
Neat!

There are manufacturer specifications for hydraulic oil, and you can cross reference them.  There's enough different ones that its not as simple as just looking for API SN 5W30 though.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Kanati:
If we're not supposed to use additional additives like ZDDP, what is the take on commercial products that already have them baked in like Lucas Hot Rod and Classic, PennGrade, etc?

View Quote

There are other anti-wears than ZDDP. But, if people are very focused on that one particular AW agent, then yes.  Stick with something that has them already baked in. I always recommend redline and use it personally in my vehicles. All 3 of my vehicles have Redline Euro 5w30 in them. If you're looking for a little more higher of a dose of ZDDP, I would go with Redline 5w30 (or whatever grade your after.)
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lungbuster] [#28]

View Quote

Power Service has the lowest temp rating too. (I think). It performs the best in the Bakken. IME.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:28:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#29]
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

Power Service has the lowest temp rating too. (I think). It performs the best in the Bakken. IME.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lungbuster:

The biggest issue with Diesel fuel additives, is actually the diesel fuel.

I can get diesel fuel right now that there is not a single fuel additive on the market, that will move it's CFPP (Cold filter plug point) more than 2 or 3 degrees F.

It depends on the hydro-cracking, it depends on the de-waxing, it depends on the amount of Bio-diesel blended in... Diesel fuel is extremely inconsistent region to region, refinery to refinery. Without doing active fuel testing a few times a year, in some cases, additive won't do anything.  In some cases, it will do a lot.  That's why there's not a one size fits all answer. But unless you're buying a lot of fuel from primarily a single source, testing is expensive to do.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:30:39 PM EDT
[#30]

You can continue to stay wrong, everyone is allowed to have opinions.  Just because something hasn't broken, doesn't make it right.

View Quote

My high performance engines aren't flat tappet, so don't need the extra zinc (VR20w50 in those).

My 375hp flat tappet sbc, I just treat and use as hp, lol.

I could, but finding it on the shelf anywhere local is no-go. But, so is becoming the Valvoline dino 10w40 that I run in that one as well.

If I really want to fix the zinc issue, I'd just rebuild & recam it to rollers, but it just keeps going...so I keep putting it off, lol.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:34:06 PM EDT
[#31]

My high performance engines aren't flat tappet, so don't need the extra zinc (VR20w50 in those).

I could, but finding it on the shelf anywhere local is no-go. But, so is becoming the Valvoline dino 10w40 that I run in that one as well.

If I really want to fix the zinc issue, I'd just rebuild & recam it to rollers, but it just keeps going...so I keep putting it off, lol.
View All Quotes

Watch the video if you don't believe me.  

But Redline is available at Oreily's, Auto Zone and Advanced through their ship to store.

Or just keep spending money on stuff that does more harm than good. I mean, people still put NCStar red dots on their AR's and call it tacticooool.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#32]

The biggest issue with Diesel fuel additives, is actually the diesel fuel.

I can get diesel fuel right now that there is not a single fuel additive on the market, that will move it's CFPP (Cold filter plug point) more than 2 or 3 degrees F.

It depends on the hydro-cracking, it depends on the de-waxing, it depends on the amount of Bio-diesel blended in... Diesel fuel is extremely inconsistent region to region, refinery to refinery. Without doing active fuel testing a few times a year, in some cases, additive won't do anything.  In some cases, it will do a lot.  That's why there's not a one size fits all answer. But unless you're buying a lot of fuel from primarily a single source, testing is expensive to do.
View Quote

That’s been my experience as well. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4K] [#33]
View Quote

Don't stop using it especially on a new flat tappet.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#34]

Nope. I talked to the person in charge of the API's regulatory enforcement about that at a conference I was at earlier this year.  They simply don't have the man power right now. They don't even have the man power to really enforce engine oil standards as much as they should.  The only thing that could possibly be the next avenue would be transmission fluids. But for the most part, especially with the new fluids, those require a lot of specialty tools to even swap reasonably. So just stick to OEM / OEM Manufacturer like Idemitsu / Mobil / P66 / Etc. Make sure its licensed for your particular gear box.
View All Quotes
Neat!

Makes sense, even if unfortunate.  I don't make a living on my compact tractor, and rarely have to top it off.  Not looking to save a couple bucks by going off brand for the hydro oil.  Though I've gotten a few parts folks to clarify when I'm buying and oil filter and a bottle of hydro oil to keep on hand, since I already had the engine oil.  Some people do pay attention, and want to make sure you aren't doing stupid.

But it's easy enough to follow a basic maintenance chart.  Even if Kubota put their engine oil fill in a stupid ass place.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:41:01 PM EDT
[#35]
The internet told me to add ZDDP to my 06 Jeep LJR. Are you saying the internet is wrong?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#36]

There are other anti-wears than ZDDP. But, if people are very focused on that one particular AW agent, then yes.  Stick with something that has them already baked in. I always recommend redline and use it personally in my vehicles. All 3 of my vehicles have Redline Euro 5w30 in them. If you're looking for a little more higher of a dose of ZDDP, I would go with Redline 5w30 (or whatever grade your after.)
View All Quotes

I use Redline in the race cars and my daily drivers based on previous conversations, but I didn't know they made an oil aimed at the older stuff too.

I don't have anything fancy, just a 49 flat head and a couple of 60s/70s trucks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#37]
If adding those additives would actually make the oil better, the oil companies would be doing it to put the others out of business.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#38]
I use Redline in the race cars and my daily drivers based on previous conversations, but I didn't know they made an oil aimed at the older stuff too.

I don't have anything fancy, just a 49 flat head and a couple of 60s/70s trucks.
View All Quotes

Assuming they have non-felt or non-cork gaskets in them, redline will work fine.  You can also use the VR1 oils from Valvoline. Few other options out there depending on your price point. Heck, even a CK4 10w30 diesel engine oil meets SN ratings typically. They would be fine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
The internet told me to add ZDDP to my 06 Jeep LJR. Are you saying the internet is wrong?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:
View Quote

No, everything on the internet is 100% truth... including this statement
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#41]
I’ve never added a thing to my oil, trans fluid, gear oil, etc.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#42]
How about whale oil to tranny fluid?  Is that okay?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveM4K] [#43]

View All Quotes

What is your opinion of After Market Cam Manufacturers recommending 1000ppm min to 1300ppm max on new flat tappet break in?  Doesn't SN oils cap ZDDP at 800ppm? Are most newer oils lower than 700ppm?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:56:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I have been using Ceratec in my cars and the engines do run quieter.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Neat!

View Quote

My Dad would add few gallons of gasoline to a fill up of diesel every few months.  That was back in 80s and 90s when he ran diesel Buicks and pick up trucks.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

What is your opinion of After Market Cam Manufacturers recommending 1000ppm min to 1300ppm max on new flat tappet break in?  Doesn't SN oils cap ZDDP at 800ppm? Are most newer oils lower than 700ppm?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DaveM4K:

There are other AW packages, particularly zinc free additive packages.

The cam manufacturers are not oil experts.  I'm not an expert on cam shapes or geometry. I don't expect them to understand how ZDDP competes with space on engine oil parts, with different base oils and different additives.  As, that's what I'm more of an expert in.

But, if you absolutely had to follow that. Use a CK4 diesel engine oil, a good CK4 10w30 or if you want to go synthetic, a 5w40 engine oil.  They will typically have that 1100-1300ppm out side of Chevron Delo, which maintains a universal oil rating, so is limited to 800.  Chevron likes to do alot with Boron as an AW package, which is what they do with the Delo 600 ADF product.  

However, more indepth it depends a lot on the base oil and it's polarity. How many polar connections bond with the metals. In turn, they compete with the ZDDP package for space on the metal parts.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 4:58:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10mmManiac] [#47]
I just buy MMO once in a while because I like to open the bottle and sniff it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#48]
So, without watching a 30 min vid, what specific name brands of fuel additive do you recommend.

I have never put anything in oil.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By lizARdman15:
So, without watching a 30 min vid, what specific name brands of fuel additive do you recommend.

I have never put anything in oil.
View Quote

Techron is the most common. Redline SL-1. A few others with Amines.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Neat!

View Quote

Archoil!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Top Top