Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I’d send them an email and have them re-confirm the “you can keep it” part in writing. Then spend the money as you see fit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:50:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Gold Diggers of 1933 - "We're in the Money"
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a trap.  
As soon as you spend it, you're screwed.
View Quote

Move it into an account your ex-employer has no knowledge of, or access to.
Preferably in a different banking institution.

Remove their ability to change the deposit.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Go now and split it between Powerball and MegaMillions!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is the issue, the last check was supposed to be on 12/31, but they interpreted it as being paid regularly through 12/31, which results in one additional check.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It could be that there payout schedule runs 1 or 2 weeks in arrears, which is normal for a lot of company payrolls. Sit tight with the funds and see if you get another payment at what would be the next normal interval. Then wait 90 days, and after that, spend it however you like.
This is the issue, the last check was supposed to be on 12/31, but they interpreted it as being paid regularly through 12/31, which results in one additional check.

The last check or the last day worked? Typically when we have done severance for end of your buyouts of which I have experience - the end of year 12/31 is paid in the next year as a final check - as you stated paid for regular work though end of year - so could it simply be you are thinking last check by 12/31 and they are seeing it as last worked ending 12/31 due and payable in the next year - thus your interpretation is off not theirs

ETA - and this includes severance paid as regular work - many times even if we cut staff early - they will be paid their regular hours through the date as stated - in which case in your example would be 12/31 so any regular scheduled day you would have worked through 12/31 would be due and payable as severance - thus a check in the next year to pay for regular hours worked as severance

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Did you notify the current or former President? Did he talk to the current or former CEO?

If the conversation was with the current management, you're probably good to go.

Otherwise, contact the current management and resolve from there.

For those saying, spend it or transfer it, keeping a mistaken payment is theft under the law regardless of if it's caught or not.

OP is doing the right thing by trying to figure out if he was paid correctly or if he needs to send the overage back.
View Quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^   THIS is the correct path, how much is your integrity worth OP?   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:13:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
In my experience, it is yours
View Quote

This.  I have seen some rather large "oopses" go through.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Wait until they send you your W2
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The last check or the last day worked? Typically when we have done severance for end of your buyouts of which I have experience - the end of year 12/31 is paid in the next year as a final check - as you stated paid for regular work though end of year - so could it simply be you are thinking last check by 12/31 and they are seeing it as last worked ending 12/31 due and payable in the next year - thus your interpretation is off not theirs

ETA - and this includes severance paid as regular work - many times even if we cut staff early - they will be paid their regular hours through the date as stated - in which case in your example would be 12/31 so any regular scheduled day you would have worked through 12/31 would be due and payable as severance - thus a check in the next year to pay for regular hours worked as severance

View Quote
I understand, it was explicitly not that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:50:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wait until they send you your W2
View Quote
In 12-13 months?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:58:46 PM EDT
[#11]
That’s a conversation to have in writing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Send him a thank you email, reiterating your conversation and asking him to confirm it to put your mind at ease that it is indeed correct and yours to keep

Now that I read this all, it seems their team interpreted it such that they had to pay you as if you’d worked until 12/31, with the typical get-paid at the typical 2 weeks after time worked... and the CEO and President confirmed it

Enjoy your extra bonus!
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'd wait a few months and spend as I please
View Quote
Just put it in the bank and leave it.  I did that after I got a payout 2 years after I left a company.  It was a 401K and match that they cashed out.  Lucky I held it, because I would have been fucked by the IRS if I hadn't rolled it over before tax day.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:06:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Get confirmation in writing/email and move on.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#16]
With your luck you should check Walmart for pressure washers
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm blowing this on a new train set
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

WTF is that supposed to mean? That's he's a thief?

The following is separate from the above quote. I'm really surprised we didn't have a dozen "principled" capitalist, conservative patriotic Americans chastise the OP and tell him he needs to write the company a check for the amount he was paid and told to keep. Then again, a whole lot of the virtue signalers have shut the fuck up the past few months and especially the past week, now that they've seen what poor persecuted businesses are capable of, and indeed do.

OP
Send an email to the top President/CEO stating you want to confirm the text message exchange about it not being a mistake and keeping the money. Then sit on it for a month or two, then close that account it was deposited into, then spend or save it as you see fit. If they fucked up and fucked up again after being given a chance to fix it, fuck them. Let the arfcom virtue signalers be "principled" company men.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:01:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Same thing happened to me but with pay after I resigned.   I called HR, my previous manager, my bosses boss.  The payment stopped but they all said to keep the overage.  I kept it sequestered for ~6 months till I had to file taxes on it and then spent it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:49:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

WTF is that supposed to mean? That's he's a thief?

The following is separate from the above quote. I'm really surprised we didn't have a dozen "principled" capitalist, conservative patriotic Americans chastise the OP and tell him he needs to write the company a check for the amount he was paid and told to keep. Then again, a whole lot of the virtue signalers have shut the fuck up the past few months and especially the past week, now that they've seen what poor persecuted businesses are capable of, and indeed do.

OP
Send an email to the top President/CEO stating you want to confirm the text message exchange about it not being a mistake and keeping the money. Then sit on it for a month or two, then close that account it was deposited into, then spend or save it as you see fit. If they fucked up and fucked up again after being given a chance to fix it, fuck them. Let the arfcom virtue signalers be "principled" company men.
View Quote
It went to multiple accounts, closing them all would be very annoying
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
move to another account and tell bank they aren't allowed to access your account. (I'm not a banker and have no idea how it works)
View Quote
I'm not a lawyer. In some cases banks can take your account negative.  
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:09:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
For me, it's the McChicken. The best fast food sandwich. I even ask for extra McChicken sauce packets and the staff is so friendly and more than willing to oblige.

One time I asked for McChicken sauce packets and they gave me three. I said, "Wow, three for free!" and the nice friendly McDonald's worker laughed and said, "I'm going to call you 3-for-free!".

Now the staff greets me with "hey it's 3-for-free!" and ALWAYS give me three packets. It's such a fun and cool atmosphere at my local McDonald's restaurant, I go there at least 3 times a week for lunch and a large iced coffee with milk instead of cream, 1-2 times for breakfast on the weekend, and maybe once for dinner when I'm in a rush but want a great meal that is affordable, fast, and can match my daily nutritional needs.

I even dip my fries in McChicken sauce, it's delicious! What a great restaurant.
View Quote

I KNOW this is a joke, but there is no such thing as McChicken sauce. The only sauce they put on them is mayonnaise. So, whoever originally posted this dips his fries in mayonnaise.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:14:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is some serious bullshit and would not stand. Ain't nobody got any 'right' to withdraw from another persons account, even if they deposited into it by mistake...
View Quote

When you sign up for direct deposit you agree to exactly that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That is some serious bullshit and would not stand. Ain't nobody got any 'right' to withdraw from another persons account, even if they deposited into it by mistake...
View Quote

Ask someone what the SSA does if you die within a day or few of your next payment date.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Spend it all on lottery tickets.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In my experience, it is yours

I've seen it through ADP and pay straight from the employer

If anything, they call the employee and ask if they would care to pay it back, which came in a check from the employee, not straight from their account

I'm sure ADP can, but I haven't seen an employer actually request it. I've only seen that when another persons check somehow went to the wrong account.

If they said it's yours, I wouldn't doubt it
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Change your banking to a new account and move on
View Quote

This.

If they ask for it back, tell them to communicate with your penguin.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Close account, wait for them to call
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top