Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 20
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's probably no smaller than my 06 colorado and would suit allot of non HD truck buyers needs but the fwd awd and unibody are a no go for me.
View Quote

I assume FWD/AWD are a no-go because of offroad worthiness? Unibody because of being in the rust belt?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:44:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm really excited for this truck...I don't own a boat, or a damn camper...but I find myself needing the utility of a truck at the same time not wanting to spend 40-80k to get said truck. This is perfect for me, I'm curious about the pricing with the awd and Ecoboost.
View Quote

AWD and ditching the hybrid for a the ecoboost ain't exactly a cheap option, but for comparisons sake a base Maverick with AWD, ecoboost, and the 4k tow package says it's $25.5k. A crew cab Ranger with 4x4 is $33k.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I hope compact trucks return. These mid sized trucks are silly.
View Quote

Maybe if actual trucks that are compact returned. FWD with a unibody.

It's an Escape with an open cargo area.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 5:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Unibody sucks with all the salt here in Ohio in winter but I'd throw a ladder rack on this and make some money with it no problem.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

AWD and ditching the hybrid for a the ecoboost ain't exactly a cheap option, but for comparisons sake a base Maverick with AWD, ecoboost, and the 4k tow package says it's $25.5k. A crew cab Ranger with 4x4 is $33k.
View Quote

25.5 isn't bad.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.
View Quote

It's not, but it'd make me question if I needed AWD and if having the hybrid engine would be so bad...

Link Posted: 6/12/2021 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's not, but it'd make me question if I needed AWD and if having the hybrid engine would be so bad...

View Quote

I'm honestly not completely out on the hybrid..but living in NE I need AWD.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If they do a hybrid AWD, I'll likely buy one in a few years.  I'm not towing boats or rock crawling Moab like some folks on here.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eh, it's clearly nice to have AWD/4X4 in WI as well, but FWD is a pretty decent alternative.

For on road I wouldn't be concerned about FWD at all. Even basic offroad though, AWD would be pretty tempting. Would suck to get stuck in less than 12" of snow as you drove out in a field to pick up your deer.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
The more I look at this thing the more I want one.

I don’t need a truck 360 days out of the year, and on the days I do need one I don’t make use of 1/4 of its capability. My daily is a Fusion Sport, I love the car but the gas mileage sucks and I’m piling the miles on.

The thought of something like this to beat on and wear out for 20k is appealing, the fact that the target MPG is 70% more than my current daily makes it all the more appealing.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the Maverick really have a cvt in it?
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 9:09:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does the Maverick really have a cvt in it?
View Quote

The base trim (hybrid powertrain) has a CVT.  The 2.0 turbo comes with an 8 speed slushbox.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah they certainly seem proud of that Ridgeline based on the price, can't blame you there. Still, if the goal was a single vehicle to do it all vs a truck and a commuter then the price aspect probably isn't as big of a deal.

A Maverick + a bike rack sounds like the most cost effective solution for you, so I'm not pushing you towards the Ridgeline or whatever, but that fact also kinda points to why it might be a long a shot to see long bed version. It'd basically have to be a whole new design since it's unibody, all the while the base Ranger is sitting there at $25k with it's 6' bed and it's 21/26 mpg. For most the buyers a regular cab long box Maverick would appeal to, they're going to make little compromise getting into a Ranger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying you should pickup a 15 year old Colorado like mine, lol. That difference in mileage would certainly add up for you, but for the most part that's always been the compromise to having a daily driver with the versatility you're asking for. I could get on board with the regular cab long box Maverick you desire, but I just wouldn't hold my breath for it. The point was the small beds on small trucks are a lot more useful than most people give them credit for.

Out of curiosity, if that long box Maverick is what you'd want then why not have a Ridgeline already? It has a longer bed than the Maverick will have and it's rated in the high 20's for MPG. Seems like it's as close as you can currently get to what you're asking for.

For one it's $10k more than what this Maverick base awd will cost. I'm not looking for a little truck this Maverick just checks the commuter boxes while being a little truck. The Ridgeline bed is only a little longer so it's not really an advantage. The main reason is cost. I actually really wanted a Pilot as they have lots of room for my tall fatness and the v6 they use is supposed to be rock solid but I also hear that it is frequently closer to 20mpg than 24mpg. I'd probably get a Ranger before I'd buy a pilot if I were stuck on a little truck.

Yeah they certainly seem proud of that Ridgeline based on the price, can't blame you there. Still, if the goal was a single vehicle to do it all vs a truck and a commuter then the price aspect probably isn't as big of a deal.

A Maverick + a bike rack sounds like the most cost effective solution for you, so I'm not pushing you towards the Ridgeline or whatever, but that fact also kinda points to why it might be a long a shot to see long bed version. It'd basically have to be a whole new design since it's unibody, all the while the base Ranger is sitting there at $25k with it's 6' bed and it's 21/26 mpg. For most the buyers a regular cab long box Maverick would appeal to, they're going to make little compromise getting into a Ranger.

I have a Diesel Excursion if I really need to tow anything but it's in rough shape so it doesn't get driven much.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.

Me too. One thing I hate is that it's really hard to find real numbers on mpg for specific circumstances. Hybrids do there best in town so for most people that's great. 90+ percent of my driving is 75mph highway so there's a decent chance the little ecoboost would actually be better. I wish mileage at 75 mph was a standard.
Link Posted: 6/12/2021 11:54:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Me too. One thing I hate is that it's really hard to find real numbers on mpg for specific circumstances. Hybrids do there best in town so for most people that's great. 90+ percent of my driving is 75mph highway so there's a decent chance the little ecoboost would actually be better. I wish mileage at 75 mph was a standard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.

I believe the 40mpg they advertised for the hybrid specified city driving. As you said, the electric part of hybrids helps most in city driving, not highway, so I'd expect it's highway mileage to be lower than 40, otherwise they'd be putting that highway mileage right there with the city mileage.

Personally, even with my mechanic background I'd shy away from a hybrid and CVT. At least until they've been put through their paces for awhile, but even then...
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:03:28 AM EDT
[#16]
That thing looks ghey...
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I believe the 40mpg they advertised for the hybrid specified city driving. As you said, the electric part of hybrids helps most in city driving, not highway, so I'd expect it's highway mileage to be lower than 40, otherwise they'd be putting that highway mileage right there with the city mileage.

Personally, even with my mechanic background I'd shy away from a hybrid and CVT. At least until they've been put through their paces for awhile, but even then...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.

People keep saying it's the Escape Hybrid system that they've had for a decade. Did it use a CVT as well? I don't know much about them.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 12:35:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

People keep saying it's the Escape Hybrid system that they've had for a decade. Did it use a CVT as well? I don't know much about them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.

I believe it's the same, and yeah they also use a CVT.

The main issue for me is the complexity. Not that they're impossible or anything, I just prefer to buy vehicles that can be fixed in a simpler fashion.

The part about "being put through their paces" was more about their use in a truck, not just in general. I had a V6 1st gen Escape in the past, and I used it to tow my fishing boat and a pop up camper, but I imagine most Hybrid owners aren't doing that. How is a hybrid Maverick going to handle getting its ass dunked in a lake? I'll be watching to find out
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#19]

I actually think this looks fairly tough for a new-fangled pickup... I like those steel wheels... I like 'em on the Bronco too.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t know if this has been posted yet, my assumption is that every truck featured here is 4x2 based on the height.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don’t know if this has been posted yet, my assumption is that every truck featured here is 4x2 based on the height.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371851/DE421AA6-E8D6-4DE2-98BE-38BE684A665C_jpe-1977449.JPG
View Quote

Maybe, but these days 4x2's are pretty close in ride height if not identical.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I like the fact that smaller pickups are making a comeback but without a 6 foot bed it’s just a Ford version of a Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:10:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371851/DE421AA6-E8D6-4DE2-98BE-38BE684A665C_jpe-1977449.JPG

I don’t know about the other models, but I know from experience that there’s a noticeable difference on the Super Duty between two and four wheel drive height.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
so on a tow package that ups the capability from 1,500 to 4,000 are they installing some chassis bracing/subframe connectors and stuff to get that improvement?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

I took the published dimensions for the Maverick and compared it to the loaner Escape I currently have in my garage.  It's a decent bit bigger than I expected.  I was afraid it would be all tiny and look ridiculous, but it's really not all the much smaller than the Ranger.  Just about a foot shorter, otherwise its pretty close.  It was considerably bigger than the Escape in my garage.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
so on a tow package that ups the capability from 1,500 to 4,000 are they installing some chassis bracing/subframe connectors and stuff to get that improvement?
View Quote

From what I could find its basically improved cooling for the engine and transmission.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:51:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I took the published dimensions for the Maverick and compared it to the loaner Escape I currently have in my garage.  It's a decent bit bigger than I expected.  I was afraid it would be all tiny and look ridiculous, but it's really not all the much smaller than the Ranger.  Just about a foot shorter, otherwise its pretty close.  It was considerably bigger than the Escape in my garage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glad to hear that it’s larger than an Escape, this pic was taken several months back:

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The main issue for me is the complexity. Not that they're impossible or anything, I just prefer to buy vehicles that can be fixed in a simpler fashion.

The part about "being put through their paces" was more about their use in a truck, not just in general. I had a V6 1st gen Escape in the past, and I used it to tow my fishing boat and a pop up camper, but I imagine most Hybrid owners aren't doing that. How is a hybrid Maverick going to handle getting its ass dunked in a lake? I'll be watching to find out
View Quote

I mean dropping a transmission and putting in a new one on a transaxle isn't really that challenging. Did it this summer on my manual fusion to replace the clutch and pilot bearing. Sure you drop the subframe, but it's really not complicated.

The cvt in a hybrid is also nothing like a conventional cvt.

Preordering an XL hybrid tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Sadly, these are not compact trucks like the ones back in the day.

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

These are basically crossovers (unibody/FWD) with the back lopped off.
View Quote

QFT

The truck pictured below in stock form is 176 inches  Std Cab / 190 inches Ext cab, is 65" wide, and either 62 or 67" tall depending on if 2 or 4wd.

Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:52:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

QFT

The truck pictured below in stock form is 176 inches  Std Cab / 190 inches Ext cab, is 65" wide, and either 62 or 67" tall depending on if 2 or 4wd.

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3749/20228189512_cc0852f511_b.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Compact trucks were body on frame, RWD or 4x4. Standard cab, extra cab or 4door (4 door in other countries but not here)

QFT

https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3749/20228189512_cc0852f511_b.jpg

How long were the beds on those?
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:53:21 PM EDT
[#31]
the more I look at it the more it's growing on me... wasn't sold on that front end at first(it's a bit different), but it really is kind of a basic, utilitarian design overall.. not over stylized or future funky... looks something like a basic, traditional pickup too me..
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:54:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

How long were the beds on those?
View Quote

6 feet.

I learned how to drive in a 86 Hardbody. Great little pickup.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 7:57:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I mean dropping a transmission and putting in a new one on a transaxle isn't really that challenging. Did it this summer on my manual fusion to replace the clutch and pilot bearing. Sure you drop the subframe, but it's really not complicated.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did auto repair for quite awhile so I know my way around a car. Like I said, it wouldn't be impossible or anything, but when I have the knowledge and choice in what I buy I tend to lean towards stuff that I know to be reliable and that can be serviced fairly easy when it does need repair. There's no way around it, a hybrid system is more complex than an all electric or all IC vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:11:10 PM EDT
[#34]
It seems silly to withhold cruise control on the base model. It's almost like it's out of spite
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I don’t know about the other models, but I know from experience that there’s a noticeable difference on the Super Duty between two and four wheel drive height.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not 100% familiar with every model, but I know on a lot of models ride height will change slightly with trim/option packages and not simply because of 4x4 or 4x2. When I'd look up parts in the past part numbers would often specify just trim levels, just 4x2/4x4, or sometimes trim levels and 4x2/4x4.

My Colorado as an example, the 2wd WT's or any trim other than Z71 have a slightly lower ride height and use struts in the front suspension while any trim of the 4x4 uses a torsion bar front suspension. You can also get a 2wd Z71, but that uses the same torsion bar front suspension as the 4x4.

Overall though I meant the difference in ride height today doesn't seem as drastic as it did 20+ years ago. Most 2wd trucks back then were practically low riders vs. the respectable stance of a 4wd. On the Maverick specifically, I would seriously doubt any significant ride height changes between the FWD and AWD models. I'd assume they're running struts, at least in the front, so cost wise I'd imagine it would make the most sense for a FX4 or something to get a 1-2" lift spring if they think it really needed it. I had some of those on our 1st gen Escape, mainly because the originals sagged quickly and the lift springs were basically the same price as OE springs, and they were nice but nothing game changing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:03:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
It seems silly to withhold cruise control on the base model. It's almost like it's out of spite
View Quote

Yep - Including "dumb" cruise control wouldn't involve any extra expense.

Adaptive cruise might cost a little bit extra.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol damn.

I have been wanting to order one of these, just couldn't get the options I want for the price I want to pay.  I was literally scrolling thru the new posts thinking "fuck it, maybe I'll just get an XL and go cheap and just not worry about it."

THen I got to your post lol
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:18:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Eh, it's clearly nice to have AWD/4X4 in WI as well, but FWD is a pretty decent alternative.

For on road I wouldn't be concerned about FWD at all. Even basic offroad though, AWD would be pretty tempting. Would suck to get stuck in less than 12" of snow as you drove out in a field to pick up your deer.
View Quote

Hmmm after having my last two weekends eaten up with fixing noise and vibration from awd I’m kinda soured on it. Selectable 4wd that saves bearing and cv axle wear sounds good to me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. I understand all the lane keeping avoidance gizmos costing more but most newer cars include cruise control. I might be losing my mind but I swear the first couple I built the keyless entry/keypad was an option but now I don't see it. That is a handy system.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
What were the towing capacities of those trucks? The maverick can tow 4k with all wheel drive.
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#41]
::IdiAminLaughing.gif::
Link Posted: 6/13/2021 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
What were the towing capacities of those trucks? The maverick can tow 4k with all wheel drive.
View Quote

IIRC, my Ram 50 was rated at all of a whopping 1800 pounds.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:42:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wanted to see a single cab version with a 6-7ft bed.  The auto parts stores would love them along with other fleet Buyers.
View Quote

What does an auto parts store transport that it needs a 6-7 foot bed?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 5:49:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

If that is truly your only road block

Katzkin
View Quote

You can buy an entire set of new Ford factory leather seat covers on ebay for under $500.

Ford Leather Seats
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 6:30:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That wee bed is more spiteful than lack of cc
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:26:01 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

25.5 isn't bad.

Buddy of mine brought his wife's Prius with them to Germany. After doing the math, they ended up taking his little beater diesel Mercedes everywhere on longer trips because the Prius' mileage was worse on the autobahn.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's how they get people to buy the next higher trim package. Then, when you are looking at the next level trim, you notice that, while it comes with cruise control, it leaves out the backup camera that your wife wants. But, you can get it on the next higher trim level. So on and so forth. Before you know it, you are looking at the Platinum trim level with all the bells and whistles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Should make a mustang with a truck bed.

Did Ford ever have their version of an El Camino?
View Quote

Ranchero?
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's how they get people to buy the next higher trim package. Then, when you are looking at the next level trim, you notice that, while it comes with cruise control, it leaves out the backup camera that your wife wants. But, you can get it on the next higher trim level. So on and so forth. Before you know it, you are looking at the Platinum trim level with all the bells and whistles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am the king of scope creep on vehicles.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:55:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep that’s what has prevented me from going thru with my plan to order a maverick.

I want something I’ll be happy with and keep for a decade or more. But the options that would make that happen put the price over $30k.. which I don’t want to spend on this. Looks like I’m waiting to get a used one someday.
Page / 20
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top