Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:48:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll wait for the movie.
View Quote

Oh man, I fucking wish.  I could use the option payment.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:49:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Reminds me of "The Rooster Crows at Midnight".
View Quote

I swear to God, the last chapter is NOT missing...
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read some really crappy writers that had cliff hangers to where you had to read the next book in hopes of getting some closer.
I hated those authors and generally I would end up not reading any more of their books.

I have read a fair number of your books, and have no problems with the way you write or end your books.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Nah, as others have stated, that’s just part of effective storytelling. As long as it doesn’t become a predictable tactic, it’s okay.

Now what DOES irritate me as a reader, especially when the subject matter is related to guns/shooting, is when the author gets way too heavy into jargon and technical talk.

Like ‘He drew his nickel plated SIG-Sauer pistol from its well-worn Milt Sparks leather holster, stoked with 16 rounds of the most potent Federal 124 grain HST 9mm rounds’

Just a little cheesy/heavy handed. The most intense example I can think was Crichton in Jurassic Park, with his absurdly over-talking on the technical side of things.

View Quote

Heh, I don't THINK I get that detailed.  I do mention the limitations and positives of the SIG M5 when the Delta team uses them against the alien monsters.  And the main character is a USPSA competitor but doesn't have much money, so he shoots a Canik.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:53:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Heh, I don't THINK I get that detailed.  I do mention the limitations and positives of the SIG M5 when the Delta team uses them against the alien monsters.  And the main character is a USPSA competitor but doesn't have much money, so he shoots a Canik.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, as others have stated, that’s just part of effective storytelling. As long as it doesn’t become a predictable tactic, it’s okay.

Now what DOES irritate me as a reader, especially when the subject matter is related to guns/shooting, is when the author gets way too heavy into jargon and technical talk.

Like ‘He drew his nickel plated SIG-Sauer pistol from its well-worn Milt Sparks leather holster, stoked with 16 rounds of the most potent Federal 124 grain HST 9mm rounds’

Just a little cheesy/heavy handed. The most intense example I can think was Crichton in Jurassic Park, with his absurdly over-talking on the technical side of things.

I’m sure they’re good to go! I suppose I’ll take one of these PMs too brother

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Cant wait. I'm good with it Rick. Just keep pumping the books out. The quality of your writing gets better with each series. A cliffhanger would not bother me at all
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Can you do the same for me? Thanks!
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I like books in series.

Many of the books I read are 4 to 10 or more in the series.  I am a voracious reader though.  I read roughly 2 books a week.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:00:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I sent you a PM.  Can't link to it here because it's considered advertising.
View Quote

Would you send the list to me as well?

@RikWriter
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
OP
Can you please pm me link.

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:03:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to admit, I have read none of your books. And I feel like an ass admitting it.

Schlichter fan and I actually proofread/correct the books that I buy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:07:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the link, but all it says is ‘Sorry the page you requested doesn’t exist’
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link, but all it says is ‘Sorry the page you requested doesn’t exist’
View Quote

That's weird, I checked it before I sent it.  

Anyway, my name is Rick Partlow and I'm the only one with that name who writes SF.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Anyway, my name is Rick Partlow and I'm the only one with that name who writes SF.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that thanks
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nah, as others have stated, that's just part of effective storytelling. As long as it doesn't become a predictable tactic, it's okay.

Like 'He drew his nickel plated SIG-Sauer pistol from its well-worn Milt Sparks leather holster, stoked with 16 rounds of the most potent Federal 124 grain HST 9mm rounds'

How the hell is OP going to name drop brands and models of shit from the 24th (?) century space industry?
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I like books in series.

Many of the books I read are 4 to 10 or more in the series.  I am a voracious reader though.  I read roughly 2 books a week.
View Quote
I have to say, I really hate when book series end.
Rick's, and other authors, prolific writing comes in handy so I don't have to search for a "next book" as frequently.

Even if I don't love the series, I will often read the whole thing. They tend to get better as the writer gets beyond the first one or two.  Then they get worse once they author just keeps crank them out for a paycheck.  It's like a bell curve.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:37:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey op, can i get a copy of the book list too please?

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, you should list all your book series on your website, along with how they fit into the timelines.
I read them all out of order, and it was a littl annoying going backwards in technology.

Also, I would sure like to see some artwork of the spacecraft and the aliens and the armor suits.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just finished book 6 of Earth at War and the audiobook for book 4 is coming out in a couple weeks.
View Quote

I go in cycles with reading - read quite a bit for a few weeks, then I might go for months without reading anything.

Book 6?  I've only read the first three, so I guess I've got something to look forward to, the next time I go on a reading binge.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:47:20 PM EDT
[#20]
BTW Rick, Dog is my favorite character ever. Don't tell Korri.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:52:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
OP, you should list all your book series on your website, along with how they fit into the timelines.
I read them all out of order, and it was a littl annoying going backwards in technology.

Also, I would sure like to see some artwork of the spacecraft and the aliens and the armor suits.
View Quote

I have a suggested reading order in my author bio on my Amazon author page.
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
BTW Rick, Dog is my favorite character ever. Don't tell Korri.
View Quote

I loved writing Dog.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2022 11:56:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's got a lot of gun stuff in it, including a main character who's a USPSA competitor,
View Quote

Is there a RDS on his pistol?  

What kind?

Is it a P365xl?

Will there be a RDS Haiku in the book?
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#25]
as long as someone(s) gets Arock'ed at the match, we'll overlook anything

PEEPS & Cola too
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:18:05 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What kind?

Is it a P365xl?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's got a lot of gun stuff in it, including a main character who's a USPSA competitor,

What kind?

Is it a P365xl?

It's a Canik.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 6:50:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Just downloaded the drop trooper box set. Hopefully that’s the right audible to start with.  

I love Joshua Dalzelle so I’m looking forward to hearing DT.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:05:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Very cool!

Rick Partlow

The following are the series in Partlow's Birthright universe with a suggested series reading order:

Holy War
Drop Trooper
Birthright
Recon
Acheron
Psi War
View Quote

Great bio as well. I don't know what it is but we had a young Infantry MAJ who was a SAMS graduate and working in our G5 plans. Just as he was moving out I find out his biggest hobby is writing Sci-Fi.

We need more writers and to really support those in our community!

ROCK6
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I am sorry I haven't read any of your books. But I wouldn't mind!! i promise I will read your stuff soon.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:19:53 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yeah, but unlike most people, TESB was my least favorite of the original trilogy.  
Mostly because I didn't like the cliffhanger.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not at all. It’s common for the second book or story in a trilogy to be a cliffhanger, potentially a dark one.

Call it the Empire Strikes Back arc.

Yeah, but unlike most people, TESB was my least favorite of the original trilogy.  
Mostly because I didn't like the cliffhanger.

D’oh!

Then that’s a “no, Ace, just you…” moment .

How about this: Write the cliffhanger that would make you, as someone who doesn’t like cliffhangers, say “dang that was a good cliffhanger.”

Then you have to promise to not hit your head and/or die before you complete the trilogy because that would be a dick move to do that and not finish.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 7:39:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Cliffhangers generally annoy me, but it would depend on the degree of cliff hang and how long I'd have to wait for book 3.

Just don't pull a GRRM.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

D’oh!

Then that’s a “no, Ace, just you…” moment .

How about this: Write the cliffhanger that would make you, as someone who doesn’t like cliffhangers, say “dang that was a good cliffhanger.”

Then you have to promise to not hit your head and/or die before you complete the trilogy because that would be a dick move to do that and not finish.
View Quote

I promise I'll never die...

Team America I will never die
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:19:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Hit me too plz
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:31:06 AM EDT
[#34]
? on cliffhangers
View Quote
Rick, I believe I have read all your stuff to date, minus the last 1-2.  You are doing it right.  I am able to connect with your characters fast enough to be engaged and really get into them.  Cliff hangers that are not serious plot twists like JR was dreaming do not put me off.  

Bravo and Charlie Mike....
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rick, I believe I have read all your stuff to date, minus the last 1-2.  You are doing it right.  I am able to connect with your characters fast enough to be engaged and really get into them.  Cliff hangers that are not serious plot twists like JR was dreaming do not put me off.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
? on cliffhangers

Thanks very much, man.  I hope you like this series, too.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:44:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Book 1 is out...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#37]
I've written a series and kept each book "self contained" so it wouldn't be too much like coming into the middle of a movie if someone happened to read out of sequence. It would be more entertaining in my view to read in order, but felt that I owed it to the readers not to use one book to seem to be a hook for another. If they like what you write, they will buy others.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#38]
That wouldn't bother me at all.

If you left the final book with a cliffhanger out of some contrived artistic "it ends however the reader wants to imagine it" then I'd start throwing shit
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:01:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'd say you have enough of a following that it isn't as big a deal to end one book on a mystery as it might be if this were your first series as an author.

ETA: since a few here have straight-up asked, Author is Rick Partlow and his sci-fi space war books are fantastic... not super technical, not too deep, not too shallow, just a very enjoyable read.

Here's a start...  https://www.audible.com/series/Drop-Trooper-Audiobooks/B086YG9B53

https://rickpartlow.com/
View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:03:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same for me, please!
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Clifhangers are fine.

ENDING a series on a cliffhanger .... not fine.

ending the series open ended is fine, just not on a cliffhanger.

The writer doesn't know what will happen next?  If so why not just write it out then?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:17:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Rik is a great writer and a very good photographer.  Thanks Rik for your contribution to Arfcom and society in general.
That said, use the cliffhanger...it is your book after all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#44]
Since I know damn well I'm going to read every book in the series, having a mid-series cliffhanger is inconsequential.
Even moreso because I'm so backed up on reading (even with audiobooks taking up much of the slack), that you'll probably be finished with the whole series before I start it.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Since I know damn well I'm going to read every book in the series, having a mid-series cliffhanger is inconsequential.
Even moreso because I'm so backed up on reading (even with audiobooks taking up much of the slack), that you'll probably be finished with the whole series before I start it.
View Quote

Well, I'm already done with book two and expect to finish book three before the end of the year.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:10:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Not sure Im qualified to answer.  Have one of your books, have not finished yet.  That said I read a lot, almost exclusively hard sci fi.

Cliffhangers are ok, but I like the main characters sorted if the series is at its end.  What is more disappointing is getting to the end of a good series.  After living in the world the writer created for a long spell, it is bittersweet to leave that world and be forced to move on.

If you think you've made a world that is beloved, leave it open to a return.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:43:47 PM EDT
[#47]
It is going to all depend on the style of the cliffhanger - and the next published date to resolve such a heinous thing.   I know I have bought 20 books this year, and read /re-read another 40.  

I still have my zillow search going for Wy...what the neck on 1/2 built homes...mostly with zero water up north in the land of freedom.

One of my searches spotting found a converted garage with garage door still installed.   No kitchen, and the only running water was in the bathroom...

I will also say I have found a rare few that were drop dead fantastic 360 degree view.   The high cost one was well over 7 mill, without a house and not that many acres of land.  

The current home that temps me the most is a real remote place; with good basic solar (needs more), 2 monster LP gas tanks; which are needed because you are not getting out of that place for weeks after a big storm.   (or was that months).  My guess is that one of the two LP tanks is used to keep the generator humming when it is too nasty to get the snow off the solar array.

Odd, I searched my library and I did not quite have as many books from you..well; one more is inbound.

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:57:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Pretty kick ass
Thank you for having your work on Kindle Unlimited, my addiction mainlined and sated. I read way too much.  

Please don't pull a cocksucker bullshit move like Scott Lynch.  Fuck that asshole.  His was not a cliff hanger but a giant fuck you to his fans.

Between Chaney, Anderle and you I am ass deep into a few series.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:58:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:13:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Long as you don't pull a Farscape S04 E22...

Nick
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top