Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2024 10:18:47 AM EDT
So about a year ago I purchased the above unit to replace a slowly dieing foodsaver unit.

For some reason it honestly is not performing as well as I would expect.

When it draws a vacuum, it still leaves some air in the bag.
This unit has a double seal bar I set it at 6 seconds.

I have set the vacuum at 30 seconds to get maximum vacuum.

If I try to seal a bag, it draws about 90% of the air out.
For example when I buy chicken breast, I trim them then filet them. I will put 2 breasts in the bag, lay them flat. When it draws down with vacuum  and seals. There are little void/air pocket spots by the meat.

If I put 2 lb of ground sirloin in, I put it in and flatten it out like a big burger patty. It will draw down, when I flip it over there is usually a few small air pockets/bubbles.

So wondering if anyone else has this happen? Could it be due to bag thickness/mils?

I would expect that with 30 seconds of vacuum,  it should draw about all air from the bag.

I have even tried stacking a book or two under the bag to keep it level with the seal bar. Without it from the edge where you put the bag in to counter top is about a 2.5" difference in height.

Any thoughts or tips on fixing this issue?

It has done this from day one, but figured it was user error. Tried different vacuum times, same results.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Any filters on the unit clogged? Are you sealing before vac starts? Have owners manual? I just chunked my 15 - 20 year old Foodsaver and ordered a Nesco (IIRC) from Amazon. Should have bought a chamber vac, but trying to save cash.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a Weston 2300, when first purchased, it performed well, now not so much.  I'm going to have to tear into it soon.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought about getting a Weston when my Foodsaver shit the bed.  I'm glad I only thought about it.

Buy Once, Cry Once:

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Snert] [#4]
Agreed on the chamber sealer.

However with many reviews giving very good reports, went with this. Mainly do to being able to seal larger portions like ribs and butts that won't fit under the lid of a chamber unit.

Have to find the owners manual,  wife puts things in safe places.

But as far as I can find, the only adjustments are the length of vacuum and seal time.

I am not sure if different mil bags will make the difference. Figured see what others have found or if someone has delt with this.

Back when I first made a post about a year or so ago, there were posts about this unit by members here. All had good results/input that it was a good unit.

As posted in my original post thats in the archives.
I buy chicken breast 40lbs at a time, ground sirloin 15-20 lbs. 2-6 Full racks of ribs and 2-4 butts.
I then trim all down and portion the breasts and ground sirloin, and vac seal them for the freezer.
Ribs get silverskin removed and sealed as a whole rack.

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Heres an online manual. I'd look at the two oval gaskets, they do need to be replaced occasionally and Weston sells a maintenance kit with the
gaskets included.
Weston Pro 3500

I bought an Avid Armor last month myself. You can externally vac-seal anything too big to fit in the chamber.
External Chamber Vac-seal

Link Posted: 3/24/2024 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#6]
My Weston is going on a decade plus. I hit the vacuum seal and it doesn’t quit until the air is out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top