Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2023 9:34:01 PM EDT
Ran into a Marine who was about to retire and they just so happened to mention in passing about a husky they weren't able to take with... I offered up to foster not thinking it would actually happen. Fast forward to today, a family emergency bumped up the timeline for me to step up(I guess he wasn't just talking just to talk). 2 years old male, 80lb, kennel, food, leashes etc got hooked up for free. Took him to the vet, animals going crazy and he was calm, took him to get groomed, and the animals were going crazy and he was calm. He already come running to me. First dog in 20 years, seems like a good fit.

I started doing whatever Nate Schoemer is teaching in his youtube videos to try and get him to a certain level of obedience, and so far he is responding well.

Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Good looking pup OP! Congrats on your new buddy!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 9:40:53 PM EDT
[#2]
That IS a good looking Husky.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 10/4/2023 10:01:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations! Awesome looking pup!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Who’s a good boy?

OP’s a good boy!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:16:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Has he started vocalizing for you? In time, he will sing you the song of his people.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
A breed with absolute wanderlust and a huge home range, hard to keep at home, and skillful escape artists. Beautiful dogs, nonetheless.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#7]
      I am not typically a fan of dogs but I love Huskies and that is one good looking dog.  Congratulations.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 1:59:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
Has he started vocalizing for you? In time, he will sing you the song of his people.
View Quote

A little bit but not much.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Good looking dog, hope it works out for you!
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
He's a big boy, probably going to do the embark DNA test to see what all he is, but I'm most consrned about what too feed him.

Right now he has been eating Purina True Instinct with turkey and venison. I'd like to have a good dry food and also mix in some real meat or wet food. What should I bee looking for? beef liver? raw?
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By SixpackinOk:
Good looking dog, hope it works out for you!
View Quote

We had an instant bond! He follows me around, I let him around in the front yard without a leash. I took him to a certain beach that is empty, and he ran up and down the beach and into the water. Took him to a park off leash and he came back when I called. When on a leash or thinks he is about to get the leash he is at my heel.

His favorite toy so far is tennis balls, he likes to destroy the Nerf tennis balls in about 30 minutes. With a real tennis ball he gets a small hole and bored in about 45-60 minutes. I got him some other stuffed chew toys that squeak, he loves them, but he seems to love to collect them onto his bed and not chew them. He'll chase ball but not bring it back, if he does bring it back, he drops it short.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:26:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Congrats OP! One of my cousins was absolutely bonkers over Huskies. Hers were great dogs.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out Richard Wolters "Family Dog" for insight into how the dog's brain works and easy Obedience training . I've fed Purina products for 40 years to various breeds and loved it . That's a special breed to say the least . I hope you can have a great life together .
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 9:48:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheRiddleOfSteel] [#14]
Nice dog.
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 10:41:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/5/2023 11:00:11 PM EDT
[#16]
You are alright for a 22. What is his name?
Link Posted: 10/6/2023 10:14:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By NoSightPicture:

We had an instant bond! He follows me around, I let him around in the front yard without a leash. I took him to a certain beach that is empty, and he ran up and down the beach and into the water. Took him to a park off leash and he came back when I called. When on a leash or thinks he is about to get the leash he is at my heel.

His favorite toy so far is tennis balls, he likes to destroy the Nerf tennis balls in about 30 minutes. With a real tennis ball he gets a small hole and bored in about 45-60 minutes. I got him some other stuffed chew toys that squeak, he loves them, but he seems to love to collect them onto his bed and not chew them. He'll chase ball but not bring it back, if he does bring it back, he drops it short.
View Quote

I had a little 11 lb. Tasmanian devil follow me home about a month ago. She does the same things with the miniature tennis balls at times. Usually what gets her is she'll see a grasshopper take off and she has to chase it. Grasshoppers are her favorite snack, followed by crickets, LOL. I'm not sure what she is, people have guessed mainly Brussels Griffon, if that is spelled right. She's a handful whatever she is. Not trying to hijack your post, btw. I'm surprised most squeaky toys would last more than 5 minutes with a Husky....
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 5:43:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoSightPicture] [#18]

I had a little 11 lb. Tasmanian devil follow me home about a month ago. She does the same things with the miniature tennis balls at times. Usually what gets her is she'll see a grasshopper take off and she has to chase it. Grasshoppers are her favorite snack, followed by crickets, LOL. I'm not sure what she is, people have guessed mainly Brussels Griffon, if that is spelled right. She's a handful whatever she is. Not trying to hijack your post, btw. I'm surprised most squeaky toys would last more than 5 minutes with a Husky....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Consider thread not hijacked, I'm in a whole new unfamiliar territory with dogs. Yeah, my dude will chase butterflies... today he chased one into a retention pond and smells horrible. I've had a lot of people asking if he was husky or malamute, got a dog DNA test kit so hopefully I'll know what all he is.

He's getting more comfortable and letting out little howels here and there. I had to leave him in the vehicle today for a little bit, as soon as he saw me coming back he went into full howling for the first time... I guess this is the "song of his people" that keeps getting brought up. lol.

Been working on sit, down, stand, climb, place, heel, center, spin, touch (started low and now he'll jump to my hand). rewarding when he looks at me and not the treat. slowly getting there.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 5:54:00 PM EDT
[#19]
I’m happy for the both of you. Great job OP
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 6:24:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By zach_:
You are alright for a 22. What is his name?
View Quote

missed this somehow. His name is Crash last owners naked him after Crash Bandicoot. He will also crash into the front door when I let him out of the back of the bronco, yes Crash, I have to open it first.
Link Posted: 10/16/2023 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#21]

missed this somehow. His name is Crash last owners naked him after Crash Bandicoot. He will also crash into the front door when I let him out of the back of the bronco, yes Crash, I have to open it first.
View Quote

Sounds like he earned his name, just like Spaz did.
Link Posted: 2/20/2024 11:01:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: craig24680] [#22]
Hell yeah, good on you OP

Huskys are a special bread of lovable asshole dog
One moment he's your best friend, lovable
Next he's in your face barking to go outside at 3a

Fiercely loyal to my 11yr old daughter
Had a rough life, we were 3rd owners in 11 months. First was some guys in apartment then family who gave him away for barking.
Goodest boy

After 2 hours and countless attempts to get him inside when it snowed he finally turned around looking away from house. Jackass

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 4:52:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Precious baby
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:45:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Reddtv:
Precious baby
View Quote

+ 1. I’m more of a cat person than a dog person, but this is wonderful.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Great looking dog.
We've been feeding our 3 large breed dogs Titan (raw) in both the blue and the red. Its excellent raw food and I have never seen cleaner teeth on a dog. Our 12ish year old mastiff mix was getting really gimpy and has always been an itchy dog but since going to this (from Blue Wilderness kibble) she has a new lease on life and doesnt scratch.
If you find a local Titan coop you will have money on shipping.
Page General » Pets
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top