Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 8:19:00 PM EDT
I have a set of foggles that are like safety glasses with the frosted top portion.

They are HORRIBLE in sunlight.  A baseball cap helps a bit, but it is still really unpleasant and painful (although it easily explains a 100' altitude loss, right?).

I need something that fits comfortably over a set of Rx glasses and does not accentuate sunlight like that frosted pair.

I am thinking about something with the top part being opaque and the bottom part cut out of removed.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good set of foggles?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Jeppesen Shades Flip Up
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:13:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jeppesen Shades Flip Up
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Jeppesen Shades Flip Up

Good and thanks try but....

These will not fit over prescription glasses.

Any try the ASA Overcasters View Limiting Device?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:34:02 PM EDT
[#3]
See if you can borrow the Jeppesen.  Some of the comments say they fit over prescription glasses.  The other comments say they're fragile, and the hinge breaks.  I just throw mine in the bag with 10 pounds of junk, and I've not had that problem.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
See if you can borrow the Jeppesen.  Some of the comments say they fit over prescription glasses.  The other comments say they're fragile, and the hinge breaks.  I just throw mine in the bag with 10 pounds of junk, and I've not had that problem.
View Quote

Sounds like my flight bag!  Thanks.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I used these a few years back, they're opaque black, no light comes through and very comfortable, remove the nosepiece and they work with glasses

Viban view limiting device
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:58:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Has anyone ever used the Blocksalls IFR glasses?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:25:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Francis IFR hood and use your regular sunglasses.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I used, over my glasses for my instrument training.  That was over 30 years ago, still have them in a box someplace around here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

How do you quickly take that off at mins while wearing a headset?

That looks like the Mercedes Benz over engineered answer to the problem. I think I am looking for the simple Volvo solution.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
As a quick, cheap aid I put black tape on all the frosted portions of my foogles. Helps a little with sunlight glare. I also would like a more comfortable solution as I also wear glasses.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As a quick, cheap aid I put black tape on all the frosted portions of my foogles. Helps a little with sunlight glare. I also would like a more comfortable solution as I also wear glasses.
View Quote

I am going to try that on my current cheap safety glasses foggles.  I am also going to dremel out the clear part — no need to look through clear plastic, I’ll just remove it.

Even with a baseball cap pulled low when we turned through the sun yesterday I had to put a hand up to block the sun.  I have also had my CFII hold a jacket up against the canopy in front of me, but that was only one approach on my first IFR training flight. I can’t expect him to do that for 2 hours.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How do you quickly take that off at mins while wearing a headset?

That looks like the Mercedes Benz over engineered answer to the problem. I think I am looking for the simple Volvo solution.
View Quote

They flip right up. I never had a problem with it.

Quoted:

I am going to try that on my current cheap safety glasses foggles.  I am also going to dremel out the clear part — no need to look through clear plastic, I’ll just remove it.

Even with a baseball cap pulled low when we turned through the sun yesterday I had to put a hand up to block the sun.  I have also had my CFII hold a jacket up against the canopy in front of me, but that was only one approach on my first IFR training flight. I can’t expect him to do that for 2 hours.
View Quote

Don't dremel away the plastic. Your eyes will be distracted by the missing plastic. Just tape it off and paint it with flat black paint.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:04:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Has anyone ever used the Blocksalls IFR glasses?

View Quote

I was just about to recommend Blockalls when seeing this thread, but I don’t think they will work for your purpose. I’ve never tried them over a second set of glasses, but due to their design- similar to sport-type sunglasses- I don’t think they would work well.

I would recommend them for anyone who doesn’t need to wear a second set of frames, though. They are small, rugged, and probably the most comfortable view limiting option I’ve tried.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

We used to call those the "Iron Bitch."
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 11:10:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

We used to call those the "Iron Bitch."
View Quote

It's what I used when I was training. I swore I'd never use'em again , but they damn sure focused my scan.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It's what I used when I was training. I swore I'd never use'em again , but they damn sure focused my scan.
View Quote

And make you pay an immediate price for cheating with head motion.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Because I couldn’t find anything designed the way I wanted....

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

It’s drying to a really nice flat black.

Attachment Attached File

Done.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Those oughtta work.
View Quote

Yup!

I can look directly toward the sun and the painted portion completely blocks all light and provides shade for my eyes.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Is there a requirement for style of shades? I mean, can you just take a pair of lab goggles and put some electrical tape on them? I had nausea with hood style obstruction devices, likely from the vibration of the tips of the hood a few inches from my face.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:24:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I use these, but I doubt they would fit over prescription glasses.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 1:01:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Probably a little late since you seem to have a solution, but if you're teaching IFR students, you might be interested in the following:

https://www.icarusdevices.com/
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 7:36:27 AM EDT
[#23]
The Icarus thing is a gimmick. It's supposedly a device to judge and train decision making for scud running helicopter pilots. But real life decision making is completely different than the kind you make in training.

Icarus trained pilots will undoubtedly crash in IIFR events just as often as Foggle trained pilots because sim's are even better at what the Icarus purports to do and sim's haven't solved the problem either.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top