Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2022 8:20:18 PM EDT
I'm a private pilot SEL going on vacation to the Anchorage Alaska area next summer.  
I want to go flying.  
I would love to get my float rating, but that's out of the question as it would be several days away from the family fun.  Any recommendations for flight schools that rent 172s to tourists?  Maybe a 'fly yourself' tour with an instructor?  Ideally, I would like an introduction to float flying lesson with an emphasis on sight seeing.
Whatcha got?
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm a private pilot SEL going on vacation to the Anchorage Alaska area next summer.  
I want to go flying.  
I would love to get my float rating, but that's out of the question as it would be several days away from the family fun.  Any recommendations for flight schools that rent 172s to tourists?  Maybe a 'fly yourself' tour with an instructor?  Ideally, I would like an introduction to float flying lesson with an emphasis on sight seeing.
Whatcha got?
View Quote

My first flight in Alaska was with a local. I went on the AOPA website and found an instructor in Ketchikan who then put me in touch with a buddy of his.  For the price of his gas he flew my brother and I around the fjords and we had a hell of a time.

Two years later I was flying a 207 around those same fjords in my first real pilot job. The old guy passed away before I had the opportunity to cross paths with him again.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't help with Alaska but Jack Brown's Seaplane Base in Florida has a two day rating class for SES.
Some weekend hop on a jet, fly to Florida, take the to the Class and fly back and then you'll be ready for next year in Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:51:01 PM EDT
[#3]
I lived and worked in Alaska for 5 years and flew with some good folks there.

Look around Lake Hood for a seaplane school or instructor.

I flew a bit with Angel Aviation- no complaints.

If you get up to Fairbanks, check out Proflite of Alaska - good bunch of folks when I was there.

Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I got with a school at Merrill Field, got checked out with an instructor, rented their plane.  It was great.  I was there for a conference.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 2:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can't help with Alaska but Jack Brown's Seaplane Base in Florida has a two day rating class for SES.
Some weekend hop on a jet, fly to Florida, take the to the Class and fly back and then you'll be ready for next year in Alaska.
View Quote

No, you will not.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:42:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, you will not.
View Quote

Agreed.

I thought I was a good pilot when I got to Alaska, then Mother Nature gave me some very rude awakenings.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 3:54:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Agreed.

I thought I was a good pilot when I got to Alaska, then Mother Nature gave me some very rude awakenings.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you will not.

Agreed.

He won't be flying for work or because he has to be somewhere.  Flying for a few hours on a nice day in the summer is not like flying air taxi.
But I was just referring to the rating, not the experience.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He won't be flying for work or because he has to be somewhere.  Flying for a few hours on a nice day in the summer is not like flying air taxi.
View Quote

I understand your point but the weather demands of Alaska don’t care if you’re a private pilot or a 20,000hr ATP.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I understand your point but the weather demands of Alaska don’t care if you’re a private pilot or a 20,000hr ATP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I thought Florida's wacky weather trained me to be a good IFR pilot but Alaska said "Hold my beer".

I landed on a couple gravel bars to wait out shit weather and ended up camping overnight once.
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 10:53:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm told Blue River Aviation is good for "Instructional tours" with a cfi.

They are in Palmer.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the suggestions!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top