Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 2/25/2021 5:06:53 PM EDT
According to local fly-fishing personality Jay Nicholas, how flies are actually named by their creators often-times promotes a culture of vulgar misogyny and sexual violence.

"I'm sitting here at my keyboard, paralyzed. My hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears. I've written hundreds of posts for the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog, but this is the highest stakes article I've ever had the courage to write. And that's odd, because it shouldn't require courage to write this, but somehow I know that writing about this topic involves breaking a taboo. The taboo of calling out my fellow anglers and our industry for inexcusable behavior.

Here goes.

Sex Dungeon.

Read the words aloud, please. Now tell me what the words mean.

I know it is a fly name. Anyone who fishes for trout with streamers knows what it is, but I want you to stop for a minute, think, and tell me what the words mean. Do you think the words are funny?" ...

The entire article is here, along with many comments.
And for reference, here's the Sex Dungeon fly pattern. Looks pretty cool. I will probably tie some up tonight for my upcoming Idaho trip.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Stop the world, I want off

Shits gotten rediculous
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
"I will probably tie some up tonight for my upcoming Idaho trip"

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:09:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Jay Nicholas sounds like a gigantic faggot
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Do you think the words are funny?" ...
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Well... when all you have is a hammer...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:11:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Author sounds like a bitch....

"I'm sitting here at my keyboard, paralyzed. My hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears. I've written hundreds of posts for the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog, but this is the highest stakes article I've ever had the courage to write."

That said....Why the fuck would you name a fly "Sex Dungeon"??
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:12:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Jay - You’re still never going to get laid.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:12:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#11]
He should probably go drowned himself.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.

He was "paralyzed" with fear?  Fear of what, exactly?  This dude's got more snakes in his head than Samuel L. Fucking Jackson has on his plane.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:13:58 PM EDT
[#13]
That's trash.

Go fly fishing and fuck what other people think about it. Pretty soon using forks and spoons will be called promoting sexual violence against women.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Is that actually a real thing, using sexual innuendo to name flies?

Also, at a time in history when every other person is pushing the envelope on what is decent in this world, who the f cares?

Oh, it's old white men saying it, that's why it's a problem...if it was a 20 year old black transqueer college student, it would be "liberating!"
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
how dare that bitch kink shame me.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Any one know where I can buy one of these misogynist flies?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Pretty much all of the comments agree with him.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:15:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Apparently his hormone treatments are causing an emotional reaction.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:15:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
According to local fly-fishing personality Jay Nicholas, how flies are actually named by their creators often-times promotes a culture of vulgar misogyny and sexual violence.

"I'm sitting here at my keyboard, paralyzed. My hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears. I've written hundreds of posts for the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog, but this is the highest stakes article I've ever had the courage to write. And that's odd, because it shouldn't require courage to write this, but somehow I know that writing about this topic involves breaking a taboo. The taboo of calling out my fellow anglers and our industry for inexcusable behavior.

Here goes.

Sex Dungeon.

Read the words aloud, please. Now tell me what the words mean.

I know it is a fly name. Anyone who fishes for trout with streamers knows what it is, but I want you to stop for a minute, think, and tell me what the words mean. Do you think the words are funny?" ...

The entire article is here, along with many comments.
And for reference, here's the Sex Dungeon fly pattern. Looks pretty cool. I will probably tie some up tonight for my upcoming Idaho trip.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/77741/sexdungeon-fly_jpg-1841069.JPG

View Quote

My goodness....Makes me glad that I am a lowly bait fisherman. Opinion - That is "hack writing"....................
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
My favorite streamer is called the “woolly bugger”.

Ain’t no sexual violence in that.

Caught more big trout on it than I can count too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#21]
So apparently fly fishing attracts weirdos
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

x87
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Pretty much all of the comments agree with him.
View Quote
Pretty sure the comments are moderated/screened before being posted.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why WOULDN'T you?  Why WOULDN'T you name one "Pole Dancer" or any of the other bullshit names guys come up for shit?  Why WOULDN'T you name a refreshing beverage "Dickens Cider"?  Why the fuck not?  It's not like women don't have their own stupid little sexist names for shit like "Battery Operated Boyfriend".

People are just too fucking sensitive.  It's like sometime in the late 20th Century, some cabal of illuminati got together and unanimously decided that the one thing we all needed less of was a sense of humor.  And to be frank, the ability to laugh at stupid shit is probably the ONLY thing that keeps a LOT of people from going nutso and climbing a clock tower with a high powered rifle.  

I'm just sayin'.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#26]
BREAKING:  The manufacturer of "sex dungeon" has decided to change the name of the fly to "transgender identity".

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Author sounds like a bitch....

"I'm sitting here at my keyboard, paralyzed. My hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears. I've written hundreds of posts for the Oregon Fly Fishing Blog, but this is the highest stakes article I've ever had the courage to write."

View Quote

At the same time why would you struggle to discuss it?
I'm at work, I could say sex dungeon right now and earn nothing more than a confused look.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The only thing that dude caught was the gay.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:20:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Look at all the comments in the article, we are doomed.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:22:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Elk hair caddis. Read the words.

Read.
The.
Words.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:22:45 PM EDT
[#33]
This sounds like kink shaming on the author's part.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Look at all the comments in the article, we are doomed.
View Quote

I just read this to my wife. She is laughing her ass off at the stupidity.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Don't read the comments unless you are sitting down.

I simply cannot believe how cucked men have become.

Nevermind.......already mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My favorite streamer is called the “woolly bugger”.

Ain’t no sexual violence in that.

Caught more big trout on it than I can count too.
View Quote

A wooly bugger is a hairy man who enjoys anal. He probably beats his wife or something too.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Just wait until he discovers the names of a whole bunch of mixed drinks and how it promotes sexual violence against bartenders. How am I ever supposed to teach my granddaughter how to mix a "sex on the beach" or a "bleeding asshole"? Okay, I made that last one up but I'm damn sure gonna invent a drink I can give that name to.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Wait until they start to look at rock climbing route names from the past.  First person to create a route gets to name a route.  Early days had mostly young men creating routes and naming them like any young man would do.

Looks like they already are:
https://www.thelily.com/climbing-routes-are-riddled-with-racist-and-misogynistic-names-meet-the-people-trying-to-change-it-all/
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Are we sure this isn't satire?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Kelly Galloup created most of these flies and now he’s next on the chopping block.

A number of fly fishing companies have slowly been going work to try and appeal to a demographic that frankly ain’t that into fly fishing.

This is just another attempt to blame “male patriarchy” instead of just accepting that women aren’t as into fly fishing as men.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:26:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
BREAKING:  The manufacturer of "sex dungeon" has decided to change the name of the fly to "transgender identity".

View Quote

Coors basement would be funnier.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:27:45 PM EDT
[#42]
It could have been worse. One of those things could have been called wet ass pussy and then someone might make a song about it and then our world would be replaced by a clown world.

Some argue it is already worse. Honk.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:28:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

"I'm sitting here at my keyboard, paralyzed. My hands trembling. Heart pounding. Squinting at the monitor through tears. "

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Now we need to invent a bunch of lures and call them the absolute most degenerate things possible.

“Gimme one o’them Donkey Punches... and throw in a Dirty Sanchez while you’re at it...”
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:28:31 PM EDT
[#45]
At least we finally know that AR's are for the battlefield and not for the farm.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Jay sounds like an absolute twat. I wish him nothing but the worst in life.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:30:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Freshwater fly fishermen do weird stuff. In saltwater it's a shrimp fly, crab fly, tarpon fly or  minnow fly. Much simpler.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Now we need to invent a bunch of lures and call them the absolute most degenerate things possible.

“Gimme one o’them Donkey Punches... and throw in a Dirty Sanchez while you’re at it...”
View Quote

Wait until they see my blue waffle lure.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:31:18 PM EDT
[#49]
First time a fly has ever given me
a boner!
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#50]
My largest brown trout to date was a 26” caught on a white Butt Monkey.

Much funner to tell people that than to say a weighted wool, head articulated bunny leech.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top