Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2023 11:20:08 AM EDT
The older I get, the less limber I feel. I think I need something to correct that.
I know there is plenty of talk on here about strength programs and cardio routines, but does anybody have a flexibility routine or program they do?
If so, what is it and how often do you do it?
Have you been seeing results?

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 11:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
for flexibility/mobility I do yoga and its great - I like yoga with adrianne on youtube. She has a bunch of different playlists, but i keep coming back to 30 days of yoga.

Give it an honest shot for a week and you won't want to stop.

30 Days of Yoga - Start Here
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:27:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Grey_Man:
The older I get, the less limber I feel. I think I need something to correct that.
I know there is plenty of talk on here about strength programs and cardio routines, but does anybody have a flexibility routine or program they do?
If so, what is it and how often do you do it?
Have you been seeing results?

View Quote

Opinions on 'stretching' are pretty funny, usually the anti crowd is pretty vocal.

I use static stretching after every session, it's a nice cool down and I find it helps my recovery.  At 43, I'm as limber as I was at 9.  Maybe because I've been doing it since then.......

For each position, I'll ease into it slowly, go as far as I can to feel the stretch, hold it for bit, then go a little deeper.  If something is feeling tight, I'll work on it a little longer.  Pretty much go from the head down.

Neck rolls - ear to shoulder, then roll forward to opposite side, then full roll
Shoulders - arm swings forward, then above head, then shoulder dislocates, forward and back, one arm at time, then both
Arms - roll the elbow through full range, then wrists, then fingers
Hips - hip twirls, left then right, if back is tight, put your hands on your lower back, keep legs straight, hands on kidneys, roll upper body through full range, then forward toe touch.
Knees - hands on the knees roll left and right.
Standing split, knees locked, legs as far apart as comfortable, forward stretch, left and right.  Roll foot onto heel, toes up, bend opposite knee all the way into a squat, each side.
Split as far as you can, walk yourself back with your hands to sit.  Legs spread, knees locked, stretch forward, left and right.
Bring in one foot to your groin, stretch to the toe, then over the bent leg, then twisting behind, each side.
Move bent leg behind, same as before, stretch to the toe, then side, lay back if possible, both sides.
Feet together, bring them as close to your groin as possible, push knees down with your elbows, stretch forward.
Grab toes, extend legs in front, stretch forward.  Bring each foot back, resting on the opposite knee, roll and stretch ankle, and toes.
Move to kneeling (seiza), lean back stretching quads, hips and ankles, if you can, lay all the way back, knees folded.  Lean forward, arms out, stretch shoulders, arm out to each side stretching pecs
Rise to knees, one leg step forward, shift weight forward stretching hips.

Takes 10 minutes.

If my back is tight, I'll do a couple passes with a roller.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

Opinions on 'stretching' are pretty funny, usually the anti crowd is pretty vocal.

I use static stretching after every session, it's a nice cool down and I find it helps my recovery.  At 43, I'm as limber as I was at 9.  Maybe because I've been doing it since then.......

For each position, I'll ease into it slowly, go as far as I can to feel the stretch, hold it for bit, then go a little deeper.  If something is feeling tight, I'll work on it a little longer.  Pretty much go from the head down.

Neck rolls - ear to shoulder, then roll forward to opposite side, then full roll
Shoulders - arm swings forward, then above head, then shoulder dislocates, forward and back, one arm at time, then both
Arms - roll the elbow through full range, then wrists, then fingers
Hips - hip twirls, left then right, if back is tight, put your hands on your lower back, keep legs straight, hands on kidneys, roll upper body through full range, then forward toe touch.
Knees - hands on the knees roll left and right.
Standing split, knees locked, legs as far apart as comfortable, forward stretch, left and right.  Roll foot onto heel, toes up, bend opposite knee all the way into a squat, each side.
Split as far as you can, walk yourself back with your hands to sit.  Legs spread, knees locked, stretch forward, left and right.
Bring in one foot to your groin, stretch to the toe, then over the bent leg, then twisting behind, each side.
Move bent leg behind, same as before, stretch to the toe, then side, lay back if possible, both sides.
Feet together, bring them as close to your groin as possible, push knees down with your elbows, stretch forward.
Grab toes, extend legs in front, stretch forward.  Bring each foot back, resting on the opposite knee, roll and stretch ankle, and toes.
Move to kneeling (seiza), lean back stretching quads, hips and ankles, if you can, lay all the way back, knees folded.  Lean forward, arms out, stretch shoulders, arm out to each side stretching pecs
Rise to knees, one leg step forward, shift weight forward stretching hips.

Takes 10 minutes.

If my back is tight, I'll do a couple passes with a roller.
View Quote

Nice! Thanks you. I'll actually be 43 in a month or so.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:32:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Vernon Griffith, he's on YouTube and Instagram gives away a lot of free mobility exercises that have helped me a lot in addition to other stretching/flexibility exercises.

His hip mobility and strengthening exercises have been a game changer for me.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:23:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Impavido:
Vernon Griffith, he's on YouTube and Instagram gives away a lot of free mobility exercises that have helped me a lot in addition to other stretching/flexibility exercises.

His hip mobility and strengthening exercises have been a game changer for me.
View Quote
He posted a regression and cues for hip airplanes on Instagram earlier this week that changed it from a balance intensive exercise to a hip roaster.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 6:43:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sitdwnandhngon] [#6]
I have two stretch routines in my phone on a Tabata app.

One is a quick 10 minute one, and the other is a 20 minute one with twice as many stretches. Just a 60 second hold for each.

I was doing it nightly all summer and felt great, then crunch season came and it fell to the wayside. Not surprisingly, now I feel like shit and I'm extremely tight.

Which stretches you do probably isn't quite as important as how regularly you do them. Work on a few good ones that hit most everything, and sub them out or add more every few months if you want.

Usually after I stretch I'll spend 10 minutes hitting knots with a back knobber too, mostly in my back, shoulders and hips.

It's important too to distinguish between mobility and flexibility. Flexibility is how much your muscle can stretch when relaxed, and mobility is how well you can move through a range of motion. I have far more issues with flexibility than mobility, so that's what I focus on. I've never been a flexible person at all, and it's only gotten worse with time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 10:22:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
I have two stretch routines in my phone on a Tabata app.

One is a quick 10 minute one, and the other is a 20 minute one with twice as many stretches. Just a 60 second hold for each.

I was doing it nightly all summer and felt great, then crunch season came and it fell to the wayside. Not surprisingly, now I feel like shit and I'm extremely tight.

Which stretches you do probably isn't quite as important as how regularly you do them. Work on a few good ones that hit most everything, and sub them out or add more every few months if you want.

Usually after I stretch I'll spend 10 minutes hitting knots with a back knobber too, mostly in my back, shoulders and hips.

It's important too to distinguish between mobility and flexibility. Flexibility is how much your muscle can stretch when relaxed, and mobility is how well you can move through a range of motion. I have far more issues with flexibility than mobility, so that's what I focus on. I've never been a flexible person at all, and it's only gotten worse with time.
View Quote

I guess what I am looking for is mobility, then. I feel like my range of motion sucks and leads to a lot of aches and pains that develop when I try to progress with lifting. It would be nice to be able to put my socks on without groaning as well. I think if I could find a quick 10-15 minute routine, I wouldn't have a problem squeezing it in every day.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve been doing this for a year. Just turned 44 years old. It’s quick which means I can stay consistent. It has really helped with my hips, hamstrings, and spine.

How To Unlock Your Mobility in 5 Minutes (DAILY STRETCH)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top